Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cooke back at it

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Cooke back at it

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    hear hear!

Lets usher in a new era of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW9Sp-WndwA

+1 for that.

I had forgotten that fight, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    This is how you handle rats like Cooke (and why the Instigator should be removed)
    Messier would regularly cross-check opponents across the gums, when he was on the receiving end of a check he didn't care for. I believe our level of disdain (and duration) for an illegal hit is inversely correlated with the level of skill of the player delivering said hit.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Messier would regularly cross-check opponents across the gums, when he was on the receiving end of a check he didn't care for. I believe our level of disdain (and duration) for an illegal hit is inversely correlated with the level of skill of the player delivering said hit.
    I think Mess would be vilified if he played today. Just a different mindset back in the day. I do agree with your sentiment though.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

WTF does Marc Messier have to do with any of this? He was dirty little ****er too but what does that have to do with Cooke 20 years later?

Administrator

WTF does Marc Messier have to do with any of this? He was dirty little ****er too but what does that have to do with Cooke 20 years later?
    ummmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I think Mess would be vilified if he played today. Just a different mindset back in the day. I do agree with your sentiment though.
    Yeah, I'm by no means ascribing "rightness" or "wrongness" of the hits, and player safety is an issue. But these "egregious" hits (most of them....not all) occur in fractions of a second, when players react instinctively without forethought. That Seabrook hit is a perfect example. Outcome sucked, no doubt. But I don't think it was as premeditated (if at all), as we like to project in hindsight - after countless replays in super slo-mo.

Ironically the NHLPA is a part of the problem. But that's another story for another day...
    @SmittysRant

It's called perspective.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    ummmm.....
    was that not clear?

1)completely different era...it's like comparing Gretzky's points to Crosby, apples to oranges
    2)I don't recall Messier ever ending someone's career, nor do I recall him targeting knees trying to blow them out...dirty elbows and the like? absolutely
    3)lots of people hated Messier for his play too, wtf does that have to do with Cooke today?

Administrator

was that not clear?

1)completely different era...it's like comparing Gretzky's points to Crosby, apples to oranges
    2)I don't recall Messier ever ending someone's career, nor do I recall him targeting knees trying to blow them out...dirty elbows and the like? absolutely
    3)lots of people hated Messier for his play too, wtf does that have to do with Cooke today?
    You're funny.

was that not clear?

Is Chara a better example to my point?
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Is Chara a better example to my point?
    No. Check out the title of the thread, that might give you a clue what it's all about.

No. Check out the title of the thread, that might give you a clue what it's all about.
    MD's right, you are funny.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

How much would you guys pay for an actual, working Matt Cooke voodoo doll??? How much fun would it be to sit down for a Wild game with one of those things?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    This is how you handle rats like Cooke (and why the Instigator should be removed):

Did I miss something. Sandstorm got cross checked in the face for no reason. I was waiting for someone to go after Brown.

Dobber Sports Legend

Messier is the 2nd leading scorer in NHL history - he played the game nasty but his primary focus was to produce points. Matt Cooke is a rat with close to zero NHL talent - his ONLY purpose is to target the opposition, agitate and deliver dirty and illegal hits that injure players with 100x more talent than him. Messier also stood his ground in an era of hockey where players were physically accountable for their actions. Cooke has made a career of "headhunting" during a passive-aggressive era where the league attempts to "police" the league and continually fails miserably. There is nothing to compare here. If we want to compare players of yesteryear to Cooke we need to look at the Sandstroms, Linsemans, Samuelssons, Marchments, etc. And even they had more talent and purpose than Cooke.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka