Poll: What's the Problem??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fleury or Bad Defense?? Why Can't the Pens Win??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Fleury or Bad Defense?? Why Can't the Pens Win??

I'm on the side that the D coverage in Pittsburgh is just atrocious. They don't have that leader on the back end (Letang maybe). I don't blame Fleury, all his goals have been poor d coverage, but I bet everyone starts blaming him once again. Also interesting note - Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Kunitz have not scored.... in two games....
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Fleury or Bad Defense?? Why Can't the Pens Win??

The series is tied 1-1.......
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just watching this game and last, they've looked pretty poor. That D has looked AWFUL lol
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Too early to panic. I don't think anyone really thought that the Jackets were going to go quietly......they came out gunning in front of a riled up home crowd, lots of game still left to play.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think their D is nearly good enough to come out of the East though.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yah it's true, they're really playing well, but that Pitt defense.... man it's looking bad haha they're just standing around.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Veteran

They can't win with that D, but I still think they'll come out of this series.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yup, once the D prospects develop and hopefully Crosby and Malkin are still in their primes, I think they will be the team to beat (I'm a Flames fan so I'm kinda just making assumptions lol).
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Banned

it's not necessarily the D or the goaltending (though neither are very good so that's not helping) but so far in this series what I've seen is Columbus just collectively busting their ass, top to bottom that team is outworking the Pens and I don't care how many Crosbys you have, if you don't want it enough, you're not gonna win the cup. The Pens are playing like they think someone owes them something, the Blue Jackets are playing like they have nothing to lose.

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's pretty sad really that the Pens have such a great top 6, but are absolutely clueless on how to build the rest of a roster. And now they have a new 7 million cap hit on the books with Letang which will hurt their depth even more.

They better hope Maata can keep it up, with Harrington and Pouliot ready to contribute like.....now.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Star

People are sure giving them a hard time after losing a single playoff game. If they have a problem right now, it's that Malkin in invisible and Crosby isn't scoring. Everybody is always whining about Fleury and their soft D, but when their offense is on it doesn't matter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    People are sure giving them a hard time after losing a single playoff game.
    It's got nothing to do with the series or the score (well not directly anyway), they're being outworked and outplayed 3/4 shifts, you can't win playing like that, and the longer you let it go on against a tenacious blue-collar team like Columbis, the worse it's going to get. Columbus has them playing their game now

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    It's got nothing to do with the series or the score (well not directly anyway), they're being outworked and outplayed 3/4 shifts, you can't win playing like that, and the longer you let it go on against a tenacious blue-collar team like Columbis, the worse it's going to get. Columbus has them playing their game now
    I agree with your original post about them being out-worked, but the title of the thread contains "Why Can't the Pens Win??", so surely it has something to do with the series/score. If I recall, they did pretty well during the regular season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I agree with your original post about them being out-worked, but the title of the thread contains "Why Can't the Pens Win??", so surely it has something to do with the series/score. If I recall, they did pretty well during the regular season.
    ah yes but once the playoffs start its a brand new season...doesn't matter a lick if you finished with 118 pts or 88

Dobber Sports Padawan

I meant why can't they win in the post-season, as it's been a reoccurring theme for them year after year, regardless of where they finish in the standings.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    I meant why can't they win in the post-season, as it's been a reoccurring theme for them year after year, regardless of where they finish in the standings.
    Sure they could do better, but they've only had 2 first round exits since 2008. That time frame includes a trip to the conference finals and 2 to the cup finals. If they go out early this year maybe I'll agree, but I think too much is being expected of them.