Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

I don't care where you are from, publicly criticizing a coach like that on your way out is classless and a fantastic way to burn bridges. Just sour grapes from a fringe player, the guy wouldn't make any other NHL roster because he's not very good. He didn't get enough of a chance, waa waa, cry to the local media to save face, and jump ship to Russia. He fails to mention in his interview that he doesn't like to give 100% effort on a nightly basis, use his size, or sacrifice for his team-mates and that is likely a reason he didn't play as much as he wanted to under Eakens.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Wizard

Is it sour grapes? Or is it a guy with nothing to lose actually giving an honest answer? Belov doesn't care about burned bridges obviously since he's already returning to the KHL, and this kind of stuff has popped up around Eakins already.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Is it sour grapes? Or is it a guy with nothing to lose actually giving an honest answer? Belov doesn't care about burned bridges obviously since he's already returning to the KHL, and this kind of stuff has popped up around Eakins already.
    I kinda see it this way as well, Eakins is indefensible as an NHL head coach and I'm sure Belov isn't the only player on that roster who feels that way about Eakins.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Im honestly not surprised by this, the KHL is more than a preferred option for russian players. However, I do wonder if he'd be changing his tune if he was playing in Southern California or Florida. The sunny weather might be worth not playing in russia/edmonton
    Not to mention the scenery and California girls!!!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Not to mention the scenery and California girls!!!
    haha yes exactly. beaches and bikinis in miami or frozen siberian tundra in january....tough one =p
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Banned

Eakins is the worst coach in the NHL.

to have THAT kind of talent and do nothing with it shows he is shit.

compare that to trotz who has shit to work with, and does something with it most years...

Eakins should be fired. At this rate the Oilers will make the playoff by the time Hall is 32.

As for Belov, good for him. As someone said already, why wouldn't he want to play in his home country for a coach he likes, making more money than in the NHL vs. for a team that sucks and a coach he hates and making less money.

Seems like a logical choice. The NHL is not the league of choice for everyone,

Dobber Sports Legend

Eakins is a joke. He is in well over his head and cannot coach NHL millionaire talent and egos because his is too big. If the "early AM practice" thing wasn't a joke, I don't know what is. "Ok men, I want you up early and working in the morning like the paying customer has to do." Gimme a break rotfl. As long as the Oilers have a fraud behind the bench they will roll out a fraud team on the ice. This isn't the mid-80s with the old "Boys on the Bus" here. If the Oilers want to get serious they need to can this clown and deal a couple of young underachievers for proven (no old veteran) guys with great leadership qualities, edge and compete level. They need guys who HATE losing, not just enjoy winning.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    haha yes exactly. beaches and bikinis in miami or frozen siberian tundra in january....tough one =p
    Get your facts straight, it was actually VERY warm here in January!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/edm...-weather/52478
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Eakins is a joke. He is in well over his head and cannot coach NHL millionaire talent and egos because his is too big. If the "early AM practice" thing wasn't a joke, I don't know what is. "Ok men, I want you up early and working in the morning like the paying customer has to do." Gimme a break rotfl. As long as the Oilers have a fraud behind the bench they will roll out a fraud team on the ice. This isn't the mid-80s with the old "Boys on the Bus" here. If the Oilers want to get serious they need to can this clown and deal a couple of young underachievers for proven (no old veteran) guys with great leadership qualities, edge and compete level. They need guys who HATE losing, not just enjoy winning.
    I slightly disagree with this rant, but found it pretty awesome nonetheless. I agree with its conclusion, though. +1 from me on the whole.

The Oil not making the playoffs until Hall is 32 has a lot to do with Hall too. This team is broken far beyond the coach. They've had a boatload of coaches and none of them appear to be able to get them going.. yet these coaches have been successful elsewhere in many respects. The player personnel is the biggest issue plaguing this team, that and Kevin Lowe and MacT and any of those other fringe NHLers who rode the Cup buses driven by Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey etc. Get these bums out of here and get some serious hockey managers in there. Culture change, not just Oil change.

Trade a few of those kids, I don't care if they become stars somewhere else. You'll do yourself and them a favour. Séguin scored 80 pts. The Bruins won the East and are still cup favourites. Learn.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I slightly disagree with this rant, but found it pretty awesome nonetheless. I agree with its conclusion, though. +1 from me on the whole.

The Oil not making the playoffs until Hall is 32 has a lot to do with Hall too. This team is broken far beyond the coach. They've had a boatload of coaches and none of them appear to be able to get them going.. yet these coaches have been successful elsewhere in many respects. The player personnel is the biggest issue plaguing this team, that and Kevin Lowe and MacT and any of those other fringe NHLers who rode the Cup buses driven by Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey etc. Get these bums out of here and get some serious hockey managers in there. Culture change, not just Oil change.

Trade a few of those kids, I don't care if they become stars somewhere else. You'll do yourself and them a favour. Séguin scored 80 pts. The Bruins won the East and are still cup favourites. Learn.
    Oh I definitely agree - the players need to be evaluated too and held accountable. I think one or two main pieces need to move to shakeup the core. But the coach is a joke and has been since day 1 with the team. Between the early AM practices, the talking down to players, calling out Yakupov, etc. it has been a mess. Do you think an established player with tenure like Shea Weber, Scott Hartnell, Ryan Callahan, etc. is going to listen to a blow-hard with a huge ego bark orders at them like they're children? Nope. Even Ryan Smyth pretty much rolled his eyes at the AM practice thing like it was a complete joke. The biggest thing I see with the Oilers is a major lack of leadership... and the coach is a pretty important figure in the leadership department. I also agree that they need a culture change - they should take a page out of the Avs/Canucks playbook and bring in a Messier+ tandem to run the show.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Veteran

Oh I definitely agree - the players need to be evaluated too and held accountable. I think one or two main pieces need to move to shakeup the core. But the coach is a joke and has been since day 1 with the team. Between the early AM practices, the talking down to players, calling out Yakupov, etc. it has been a mess. Do you think an established player with tenure like Shea Weber, Scott Hartnell, Ryan Callahan, etc. is going to listen to a blow-hard with a huge ego bark orders at them like they're children? Nope. Even Ryan Smyth pretty much rolled his eyes at the AM practice thing like it was a complete joke. The biggest thing I see with the Oilers is a major lack of leadership... and the coach is a pretty important figure in the leadership department. I also agree that they need a culture change - they should take a page out of the Avs/Canucks playbook and bring in a Messier+ tandem to run the show.
    The bleeding has to stop with the coaches......we can't fire ANOTHER coach after one season, it didn't work the other 7 times, and it won't work this time. The players and the make-up of the roster are the main culprits, not the coach.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    The bleeding has to stop with the coaches......we can't fire ANOTHER coach after one season, it didn't work the other 7 times, and it won't work this time. The players and the make-up of the roster are the main culprits, not the coach.
    Maybe the Oilers just suck at hiring coaches? Or maybe high profile coaches don't want to work in Edmonton? I'm not sure, but I haven't been impressed with an Oilers coach since the Sather/Muckler days; maybe a little Ronnie Low.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

The Great One

A player didn't want to re-sign in Edmonton.........Get outta here?!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe the Oilers just suck at hiring coaches? Or maybe high profile coaches don't want to work in Edmonton? I'm not sure, but I haven't been impressed with an Oilers coach since the Sather/Muckler days; maybe a little Ronnie Low.
    When you fire 5 coaches in 4 years and yield the same results, logic dictates that coaching is not the issue.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    When you fire 5 coaches in 4 years and yield the same results, logic dictates that coaching is not the issue.
    I tend to agree here. I think some consistency is needed there for a coach to settle in and get his philosophy across to his players. I really liked what I saw in Ralph Krueger last year and I was bothered when he was let go. I didn't agree with it at all. I am not a fan of Eakins but hopefully they let him get a system in place that the players can learn from and improve on.

If Management would get their $hit together and let a coach get in there and work through some of the issues, this team could be further ahead then it is.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."