Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I tend to agree here. I think some consistency is needed there for a coach to settle in and get his philosophy across to his players. I really liked what I saw in Ralph Krueger last year and I was bothered when he was let go. I didn't agree with it at all. I am not a fan of Eakins but hopefully they let him get a system in place that the players can learn from and improve on.

If Management would get their $hit together and let a coach get in there and work through some of the issues, this team could be further ahead then it is.
    I also think consistency is imperative for a coach to be able to put his fingerprint on a team and fully implement his system and philosophies. I also think that a message has to be sent to the players that it's on them and not the coach. On top of that, I think we need to stay the course with the coaching to provide a sense of stability from an outside perspective. An unstable, constant coaching-carousel does not not do much to attract free agents or prospects to the organization...... the more coaches we go through, the worse we look.

I'm not an Eakens supporter by any means, but I do not think this is the time for another change.....you have to at least give him a second season. If it's more of the same, then you have no choice. People forget that Eakens was being highly touted for a long time before he got this gig with the Oilers......give him a full opportunity before tossing another coach overboard.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Personally I think Eakins is a great AHL coach and a terrible NHL coach. Team was much better off with Krueger and MackT screwed that. I agree, coaching needs to be consistent, but with a guy like Trotz available is it possible that 1 more change might be beneficial? What if Bylsma becomes available, or Tippett, or McLellan if the Sharks bail out unceremoniously. Landing a guy like that at least has to be looked at in terms of a coaching change. Yakupov and/or Eberle have to go. As an owner, I am hoping for Yak, but I think the team would be better served moving Ebs.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Personally I think Eakins is a great AHL coach and a terrible NHL coach. Team was much better off with Krueger and MackT screwed that. I agree, coaching needs to be consistent, but with a guy like Trotz available is it possible that 1 more change might be beneficial? What if Bylsma becomes available, or Tippett, or McLellan if the Sharks bail out unceremoniously. Landing a guy like that at least has to be looked at in terms of a coaching change. Yakupov and/or Eberle have to go. As an owner, I am hoping for Yak, but I think the team would be better served moving Ebs.
    If they were able to do a Trotz-Eakens swap, I wouldn't complain. I was furious with the Eakens hiring to begin with.....you have the youngest team in the league that has been struggling for ages and you fire one rookie coach after 48 games only to replace him with another rookie coach??! I did not like Krueger's style, I felt that we needed a much more stern/demanding coach. If they were going to make a change then, they should have hired one of the many experienced NHL coaches that were available at the time.

I've always thought a Trotz-type would be perfect, if anyone can get this team to play some defence and max out it's potential, it would be him. At least if they hired Trotz and we still allowed the most goals against in the league, people would finally stop blaming it on the coaches.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not an Eakins fan at all. He has a certain arrogance about him that drives me nuts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I am not an Eakins fan at all. He has a certain arrogance about him that drives me nuts.
    Haha, 100%! I can't listen to him talk, he drives me up the wall......you gotta figure the players have tuned that out too to some extent. Sigh, what a mess.

Dobber Sports Master

No one with hair like that can be an effective coach.

Dobber Sports Legend

Now picture this arrogant, egotistical clown (who never won squat as a player or coach in the NHL) barking orders and calling out high-end, multi-millionaire players. He's going to embarrass Yakupov with his own 9 assists and ZERO goals in 120 NHL games resume? I don't think arrogance is a trait a successful, young coach can have when dealing with NHL players in 2014. Especially since you haven't won squat that will get you immediate respect.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Now picture this arrogant, egotistical clown (who never won squat as a player or coach in the NHL) barking orders and calling out high-end, multi-millionaire players. He's going to embarrass Yakupov with his own 9 assists and ZERO goals in 120 NHL games resume? I don't think arrogance is a trait a successful, young coach can have when dealing with NHL players in 2014. Especially since you haven't won squat that will get you immediate respect.
    100% agree. I think that Eakins could learn a LOT of lessons from a guy like Jon Cooper as to how a young coach should conduct themselves.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    If they were able to do a Trotz-Eakens swap, I wouldn't complain. I was furious with the Eakens hiring to begin with.....you have the youngest team in the league that has been struggling for ages and you fire one rookie coach after 48 games only to replace him with another rookie coach??! I did not like Krueger's style, I felt that we needed a much more stern/demanding coach. If they were going to make a change then, they should have hired one of the many experienced NHL coaches that were available at the time.

I've always thought a Trotz-type would be perfect, if anyone can get this team to play some defence and max out it's potential, it would be him. At least if they hired Trotz and we still allowed the most goals against in the league, people would finally stop blaming it on the coaches.
    Trotz is the type of coach they need, they needed to hire experienced coach last time. He wouldn't take crap from players and make them play a little defence. get to know their goalie a little.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

I can see Trotz coming in and soon finding out that he doesn't have the type of players he likes for his coaching style. Much like Torts in Vancouver, his coaching philosophy has to match the players to be successful. Torts prefers a defensive, shot blocking type of team and Vancouver is built to be a puck controlling offensive team. His way doesn't work well with the players he was given to coach.

I could see a similar problem if Barry Trotz was brought into Edmonton. While he way of coaching would be a welcome style, the players here don't fit his style well and I don't see him being effective as a coach with these players.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I can see Trotz coming in and soon finding out that he doesn't have the type of players he likes for his coaching style. Much like Torts in Vancouver, his coaching philosophy has to match the players to be successful. Torts prefers a defensive, shot blocking type of team and Vancouver is built to be a puck controlling offensive team. His way doesn't work well with the players he was given to coach.

I could see a similar problem if Barry Trotz was brought into Edmonton. While he way of coaching would be a welcome style, the players here don't fit his style well and I don't see him being effective as a coach with these players.
    I think Trotz is a lot more adaptable than Torts is. Trotz will play the style that works best with is players. It doesn't have to be the system he played in Nashville. Good coaches have more than one system. That system was good there because it was what worked best with the personnel he had. Eventually, they came to draft/trade for players that fit the system. He'd use a new system in Edmonton.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Trotz hasn't shown that he can't adapt, he's been with the same team/type of team for a zillion years. I'd sure take my chances with him.

Administrator

I like the way Eakins talks about the game. He talks a good game. Whether or not he has the charisma/attitude/aptitude to get the players to play the right way remains to be seen. But I simply cannot abide them going with ANOTHER coaching change. I mean, how do the guys take any coach seriously if they are just going to be run out of town year after year. Might as well trade every last player and start over again because you'll have spoiled them and taught them no accountability.

If Eakins isn't the right guy for the job, well shit they've painted themselves into quite the corner.

I'm ready for some bold moves.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

I agree that Eakins has a chip on his shoulder but he's asking his team to work hard and none of them want to. An early AM practice? Oh boo hoo millionaire self-absorbed pro athletes... Get up and work! If you ask me, it was an easy test to show that no matter what you ask of this group, they don't wanna do it.. Getting drafted in the top 5 or in the first round or getting wined and dined as a top college free agent doesn't entitle you to winning... Work guarantees you winning. Ryan Smyth knew that, but these Hall, Eberle, Dubnyk, "Nuge"... guys don't listen to him either..

This team needs its cage rattled and it's only if they break up the clique that something like that will work. Dubnyk was the easy target.. Yakupov is too. Gut this shit and trade Jordan Eberle and bring in a hard ass to ride Hall into playing like a leader should, not like how Hallsy thinks a leader should..

Heck, I'd be a hard ass on these goofs like Eakins was too. The guy played in the league, runs ridiculous super marathons.. He knows about work. These goofball teenagers haven't learned anything yet.. and seem to refuse to.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck