Thread: Which 7 would you keep?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Which 7 would you keep?

Hey guys, I'm starting to second guess myself with regard to my forward keepers here. My league is having an expansion draft and I can only protect 7 forwards. From this list, who would you not protect if you were me? My league factors in annual NHL salary, and uses the following cats: G, A, Pts, PPP, Sog, GWG, Hits, Blks, +/-, PIM for skaters.

Neal, Kessel, Duchene are given, but I'm not 100% on the rest. Let me know which 3 you would cut?

Duchene - protected (stud)
    Kessel - $10 mil next yr but must protect
    Neal - protected (stud)

Desharnais - not a shooter but awesome contract going forward and plays 1st line
    Pominville - goes to $6 mil but is 1st line and big shooter and goal scorer
    Perron - another guy who shoots a lot and is goal heavy, still 25 and good contract for 2 more yrs
    Moulson - a shooter (water down version) but becomes UFA with anticipated higher contract
    Filppula - good stats this season but goes to $6 mil in 2yrs, not sure if I can trust him
    D. Sedin - a shooter and racks up good PPP but goes to $7 mil at age 34 and declining stats?
    H. Sedin - doesn't shoot but more reliable than Daniel, also $7 mil, could be cap casualty for roster

Who would your 7 salary keepers be in this goal heavy league?
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

I...am your father.

Default Re: Which 7 would you keep?

With those options, I think you're stuck with the twins at the big contract. The other guy I'd keep is Pominville.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

ugh this is tough, hate to cut the Sedins but in a cap league like yours it certainly makes them tough to keep.

I'd probably keep Desharnais, Perron, Pominville and then I flip between D Sedin and Filpula. H Sedin is a bit more consistent but with G weighted more heavily I prefer D Sedin, and to be honest for the extra $1m on the cap VS Filp I'd probably roll the dice with him. If nothing else he has good bounce back potential and name value in trades.

So for me:

Neal
    Kessel
    Duchene
    Desharnais
    Pominville
    Perron
    D Sedin

Hard to leave off H Sedin but his cap hit and lack of goals and rugged stats makes me think he's not great value. Filpula has potential but I can't see anyone on the list I'd be willing to move him for at his cap, and Moulson is too much of a wild-card not knowing what his cap will be (likely in the 5.5-6.5 range which hurts his value again).
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thanks Dobber

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    ugh this is tough, hate to cut the Sedins but in a cap league like yours it certainly makes them tough to keep.

I'd probably keep Desharnais, Perron, Pominville and then I flip between D Sedin and Filpula. H Sedin is a bit more consistent but with G weighted more heavily I prefer D Sedin, and to be honest for the extra $1m on the cap VS Filp I'd probably roll the dice with him. If nothing else he has good bounce back potential and name value in trades.

So for me:

Neal
    Kessel
    Duchene
    Desharnais
    Pominville
    Perron
    D Sedin

Hard to leave off H Sedin but his cap hit and lack of goals and rugged stats makes me think he's not great value. Filpula has potential but I can't see anyone on the list I'd be willing to move him for at his cap, and Moulson is too much of a wild-card not knowing what his cap will be (likely in the 5.5-6.5 range which hurts his value again).
    these would be my guys to protect as well. Protect guys that shoot the puck. Henrik does score enough and if you want is probably easier to redraft. Moulson is interesting depending where he signs.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This team is in your signature? I think it is.

I would keep Perron, Pominville, Daniel Sedin and Desharnais. Maybe flip Desharnais to Monahan, who is on cheap, entry level contract another two year, and producing relatively well. I'm sure he will be popular choice on your draft day, if you not keep him.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yeah, haven't updated the roster in my signature but I got Monahan protected as a prospect so he's ok. Dan Sedin and Filppula were the bubble boys that I was flipping back and forth on. Looks like four of you in a row has vouched for Daniel so it's starting to look set here.

Dobber Sports Genius

Because this is an expansion draft and not a keep 7 league you dont always have to protect your best players. You just have to protect the players you think that the 2 expansion teams would take. I would leave the twins unprotected because who wants to have the Sedins on an expansion team? Doesnt make sense to me.
    Last edited by DerekReese; April 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff to say
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Padawan

I feel you gotta keep the Sedin's. Had a down year, but still world class players. If you're rebuilding then don't bother. For remaining four keepers I would go the Sedins, Fillp, and Perron.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov