39 70.91%
  • Connor McDavid

16 29.09%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MacKinnon or McDavid?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: MacKinnon or McDavid?

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Chances are both will be superstars. I'm a believer in McDavid, and if it were any other "prospect" than MacKinnon (no longer a prospect) who we were comparing him to, I'd probably go with him. Like most, I've watched MacKinnon a lot this year and the kid has impressed me from day 1 but has been getting better and better by the game it seems. At 18 years old, he's among the best players on the ice any given game. On the game's largest stage - the playoffs - he's been absolutely incredible. He's good it all: Size, speed, tenacity, grit, passing hands, goal scorers hands and work ethic. Not saying McDavid doesn't, but we are already seeing what MacKinnon can do at this level... as an 18 year old.
    Oh yeah I agree, MacKinnon is no slouch. And he's showing that he will be a star in the league. I'm just willing to say that McDavid looks to be geared up to be a better player in the long run. Obviously, the argument is harder to make, but that's part of making projections for a player in juniors, as opposed to an NHL rookie.

I'm just saying their is persuasive evidence to show that he will meet his potential, which looks higher then MacKinnon.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Pro

McDavid for me, even though I've seen what MacKinnon can do first hand and he's proving it to the world right now I still have to go with McDavid. If you can afford to wait I'm taking McDavid but if you can't then I'm taking MacKinnon. Either way I want both on my team, and I'm going to be hunting hard to acquire MacKinnon this off season.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Banned

mackinnon is so shiny and new and everybody wants some.

just wait till mcdavid gets here...
    it will cost you stamkos, tavares, crosby and your first born to get him.

Dobber Sports Genius

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, Mackinnon is the real deal and could push a PPG before McDavid is even in the league.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, Mackinnon is the real deal and could push a PPG before McDavid is even in the league.
    True but OP asked about who has the better NHL career
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Ninja

McDavid is good... but that's being short sighted. The more savvy GMs are already tearing down their teams and trading their draft picks and studs for a shot at Crosby's future son.

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" - the Great One.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    True but OP asked about who has the better NHL career
    Fair enough, I'll just pull out my trusty sports almanac from the future that I brought back in time courtesy of my souped up Delorean and check their career stats...

Ah yes, just as I presumed. They will both take turns breaking ALL of Gretzkys records and go down in history as the ultimate best players of all time! 115 goal, 259 point season for McDavid within six seasons, but a 124 goal, 273 points season for Mack only one year later, book it!

Disclaimer: I actually can't share the actual stats from the almanac since that would be irresponsible. You can rest assured though that at some point both will score somewhere within those point totals per season.

P.S. Mack by a hair though.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Fair enough, I'll just pull out my trusty sports almanac from the future that I brought back in time courtesy of my souped up Delorean and check their career stats...

Ah yes, just as I presumed. They will both take turns breaking ALL of Gretzkys records and go down in history as the ultimate best players of all time! 115 goal, 259 point season for McDavid within six seasons, but a 124 goal, 273 points season for Mack only one year later, book it!

Disclaimer: I actually can't share the actual stats from the almanac since that would be irresponsible. You can rest assured though that at some point both will score somewhere within those point totals per season.

P.S. Mack by a hair though.
    Damn, then it's settled, guess I was wrong!
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Legend

Question: How do people think McDavid will compare to Crosby in production, leadership and intangibles? Forget MacKinnon for one second, let's compare him to Sid. Do you think he will be better, as good, a step below Crosby in all those areas? Here's why I ask: Crosby is a Cup winner, league MVP, leading scorer and good captain. He is also a 100-125 point player. And, I agree with Roenick, that MacKinnon is impressing me more as an 18 year old than Crosby did at 18. Point being, I think MacKinnon will end up a hair below Sid but will match him in leadership, intensity and intangibles (things NOT ALL star players have at the NHL level) while scoring 90-100 points. So, unless you honestly think McDavid is Crosby 2.0 in every way (or better), this is a tough call.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Superstar

Don't think you can wrong either way. Probably McKinnon if I had to pick right now. McDavid isn't going to be in the league for 2 years yet.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Question: How do people think McDavid will compare to Crosby in production, leadership and intangibles? Forget MacKinnon for one second, let's compare him to Sid. Do you think he will be better, as good, a step below Crosby in all those areas? Here's why I ask: Crosby is a Cup winner, league MVP, leading scorer and good captain. He is also a 100-125 point player. And, I agree with Roenick, that MacKinnon is impressing me more as an 18 year old than Crosby did at 18. Point being, I think MacKinnon will end up a hair below Sid but will match him in leadership, intensity and intangibles (things NOT ALL star players have at the NHL level) while scoring 90-100 points. So, unless you honestly think McDavid is Crosby 2.0 in every way (or better), this is a tough call.
    That's a good question. Another comparison that I can think of, was Tavares when he played in the U18, as a 16 year old. I had to look it up but he 5 pts in 5 games. McDavid had 2 hatricks, for a total of 14 in 7 games and tournament MVP, among others like Nishkunin who had 7 pts in 6 games.

I know there are a lot of variables, but take it as you will.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Stud

First off, let's all get one thing straight: Mackinon is no Crosby, not now not ever.

Mackinon as an 18 year old rookie: 63 points
    Crosby as an 18 year old rookie: 102 points.

Now, I'm no mathematician, but I do believe 102 > 63 .... by a lot.

I'd be willing to bet that Mackinon's best season will not match Crosby's rookie year when it's all said and done.

Having said that, I think the Mack vs McD debate is pointless until McDavid makes it to the NHL. There are so many things that can happen between now and then. If I had to chose one today, I'd go with Mack just because, as many have said, he's the more proven commodity and in an excellent system with Colorado. Going with McD at this point is pure speculation, it's giving up your shiny new washer and dryer for a chance at the mystery prize behind door number 1. Could be a car, could be a bag or horse manure.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    First off, let's all get one thing straight: Mackinon is no Crosby, not now not ever.

Mackinon as an 18 year old rookie: 63 points
    Crosby as an 18 year old rookie: 102 points.

Now, I'm no mathematician, but I do believe 102 > 63 .... by a lot.

I'd be willing to bet that Mackinon's best season will not match Crosby's rookie year when it's all said and done.
    Well first off, I don't think anyone was suggesting he was Crosby so I dunno where you're getting that from, but people like to compare #1 overall picks and contrast their strengths and weaknesses, it doesn't mean anything more than that.

Besides which though, that's a terrible argument...observe:

Scoring in Rookie Season:

Stamkos - 46 pts
    Jagr - 57 pts
    Sakic - 62 pts
    Forsberg - 50 pts
    Lafleur - 64 pts
    Bure - 60 pts

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    You can say they're comparing McDavid to Crosby...

MacKinnon already looks as good as Crosby right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Well first off, I don't think anyone was suggesting he was Crosby so I dunno where you're getting that from, but people like to compare #1 overall picks and contrast their strengths and weaknesses, it doesn't mean anything more than that.

Besides which though, that's a terrible argument...observe:

Scoring in Rookie Season:

Stamkos - 46 pts
    Jagr - 57 pts
    Sakic - 62 pts
    Forsberg - 50 pts
    Lafleur - 64 pts
    Bure - 60 pts
    None of the guys you mentioned were at Crosby's level during their primes when compared to their peers. Crosby is hands down the best player in the world and by a fair margin, there is no real debate from anyone outside of Russia. The guys in your list are all great players but none of them were ever unquestionably the greatest in the world during their careers - you could maybe make a case for Jagr but even then, you'd have to make the case against guys like Lemieux (hands down better) and later on Thornton (better overall player). So thanks for proving my point.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    That's a good question. Another comparison that I can think of, was Tavares when he played in the U18, as a 16 year old. I had to look it up but he 5 pts in 5 games. McDavid had 2 hatricks, for a total of 14 in 7 games and tournament MVP, among others like Nishkunin who had 7 pts in 6 games.

I know there are a lot of variables, but take it as you will.
    It's always hard to take a tournament and look at stats, and compare it to the same tournament 5 years later. So much can change. It's like a more magnified issue of the problem when comparing junior stats from one year to the next. Context and other variables come into play so much that they could literally change everything. It's just too difficult to judge from that. Especially in a tournament when the sample size is between 4 and 7 games.

Tavares as a rookie in the OHL had 45 goals and 77 points in 65 games. McDavid had 25 goals and 66 point in 63 games in his rookie OHL season.

Tavares as a sophomore player in the OHL had 72 goals and 134 points in 67 games. McDavid had 28 goals and 99 points in 56 games in his sophomore season.

Judging by this alone one could say that Tavares stats blew McDavid out of the water as an exceptional status player. But that doesn't take into context that scoring has changed over the years. Nor does it take into context the linemates, or competition.

There's just too many factors that come into play when looking only at stats and comparing them to another player in another year.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson