View Poll Results: How good is Mackinnon?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing: I have a ragging Fantasy chubby for this guy!

10 55.56%
  • He's over-hyped a lot, but yes he's good and I get excited watching him play.

7 38.89%
  • WTF?! I ain't getting no chubby for a dude!

1 5.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fantasy boners for Mackinnon anyone?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Fantasy boners for Mackinnon anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Yep, I know it, I had a whole pack of people on here trying to convince me that they were interchangeable...as the old saying goes 'believe half of what you see and almost nothing of what you hear'. There's probably half a dozen people on here with solid, objective analysis that I pay attention to, the rest is just the hype train rolling thru

For the record I think McDavid is going to be fantastic too, I just recognize how rare a 63pt rookie is, especially one who played the 1/3 of the season on the 3rd line That and I haven't watched enough tape of McDavid yet to form an idea of how good he'll be and how soon (that's my offseason homework that I have to work on)
    Alright I like that. You'll be happy with what you see from McDavid! And I'm also pretty excited about Mac too, as an Avs fan. Any player who ties a Gretzky record is worth noticing
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Alright I like that. You'll be happy with what you see from McDavid! And I'm also pretty excited about Mac too, as an Avs fan. Any player who ties a Gretzky record is worth noticing
    As an Avs fan you must be thrilled, I've never seen MacKinnon on the ice where he's not driving to the net, he is absolutely tenacious

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Yep, I know it, I had a whole pack of people on here trying to convince me that they were interchangeable...as the old saying goes 'believe half of what you see and almost nothing of what you hear'. There's probably half a dozen people on here with solid, objective analysis that I pay attention to, the rest is just the hype train rolling thru

For the record I think McDavid is going to be fantastic too, I just recognize how rare a 63pt rookie is, especially one who played the 1/3 of the season on the 3rd line That and I haven't watched enough tape of McDavid yet to form an idea of how good he'll be and how soon (that's my offseason homework that I have to work on)
    Part of it is just that that (that's a mouthful lol) is what happens at the draft. Hype builds for a certain player, and in the draft year people try to make it out to be a race, and the media likes to pump that up to make it more interesting for certain things they sell (draft guide, TSN draft day, etc.)

Next year I can almost guarantee you that you'll see threads that are asking you to choose between Eichel and McDavid, and questions will pop up which one is better. You'll probably have that third guy who makes a huge jump into the top 5 and a whole bunch of people are saying "he'll be better than them all when it's all said and done".

We've all seen this before. We saw it with Tavares, getting exceptional status and being the best prospect since Crosby, yet come draft day it was "who will the Islanders pick? Hedman or Tavares?". Everyone knew it was Tavares. Everyone knew from two years prior. And we all knew it should be. Yet the questions still came. Hell, Duchene got huge press leading up to that draft and there were a ton of people pushing "he'll be better than Tavares and Hedman!".

Once upon a time MacKinnon was getting the hype machine. Getting articles about being the "next big thing", articles talking about how he was a lock to go 1st overall in 2013. Hell, even this article on TSN asking if he was the next Crosby!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372355

McDavid's getting more of it (although I'd argue not much more) because he received exceptional status. But come next year you are going to start to see articles about Eichel, about how he might be better than McDavid, about how it's a "two horse race" etc.

And a time will come when someone inevitably posts something saying "so and so from this draft year would go number 1 this year if taken!"

It happens every year. It will happen again next year. And the year after, and the year after.

MacKinnon is going to be a special player. So is McDavid.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    MacKinnon is going to be a special player. So is McDavid.
    Nice post! And I agree with all of it.