View Poll Results: How good is Mackinnon?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing: I have a ragging Fantasy chubby for this guy!

10 55.56%
  • He's over-hyped a lot, but yes he's good and I get excited watching him play.

7 38.89%
  • WTF?! I ain't getting no chubby for a dude!

1 5.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy boners for Mackinnon anyone?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Fantasy boners for Mackinnon anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkeys View Post
    What are Malkin's numbers without Neal?
    What are Kunitz's numbers without Crosby?
    What are Stamkos's numbers without St. Louis?
    What are Perry's numbers without Getzlaf?
    What are Seguin's numbers without Benn?
    What are Hull's numbers without Oates?
    What are Kurri's numbers without Gretzky?
    If you've actually watched the Colorado games and seen the Gretzky like precision of some of these passes you'd understand how ridiculous a statement the was. An 18 year old is tied for the lead in playoffs scoring and 4 of his 6 assists are the primary pass, don't be a hater.
    Well Malkin was hitting over 100 pts a season without Neal, so I guess, good? LOL

And I guess since you were on the topic of ridiculous statements you compared him to Gretzky in his passing?

I don't think it was a ridiculous statement. He obviously is playing well but also interesting to see where the production is coming from.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i haven't watched mackinnon enough to give an expert opinion but from the games i've seen, he has the ability to easily create offence with his speed and intelligence. he does have some dirty skills but to me what impresses me most is the simple little things he does to push the puck forward.

i own him in one league, even before last night's game there was a 90% chance i wasn't going to trade him. put him down as untouchable for me, unless i'm packaging him for crosby/malkin/stamkos/tavares, he aint going anywhere.

here is what i mean:

the first pass he receives through the left, nifty move to push it forward without stopping:

http://i.imgur.com/TtGwi3Q.gif

and the move he uses to get passed koivu, around 2/3 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEeph4h96k

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i haven't watched mackinnon enough to give an expert opinion but from the games i've seen, he has the ability to easily create offence with his speed and intelligence. he does have some dirty skills but to me what impresses me most is the simple little things he does to push the puck forward.

i own him in one league, even before last night's game there was a 90% chance i wasn't going to trade him. put him down as untouchable for me, unless i'm packaging him for crosby/malkin/stamkos/tavares, he aint going anywhere.

here is what i mean:

the first pass he receives through the left, nifty move to push it forward without stopping:

http://i.imgur.com/TtGwi3Q.gif

and the move he uses to get passed koivu, around 2/3 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEeph4h96k
    So elite status already? Would you consider the Giroux, Seguin, Getzlaf, Hall, Backstrom, Kane, etc?

I don't know, those guys are pretty enticing. I could not slot him among the elite players yet, personally.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Sadly the manager that has him will never deal him. Will be a long 15 years of watching him from afar
    It takes a long time for hype like this to wear off ... if ever. True statement, DK.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a chubby

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    So elite status already? Would you consider the Giroux, Seguin, Getzlaf, Hall, Backstrom, Kane, etc?

I don't know, those guys are pretty enticing. I could not slot him among the elite players yet, personally.
    he's not elite yet, obviously i'd take giroux or seguin over him at this point...getz and backstrom too depending on league scoring. but if i am rebuilding, i'm not moving him yet, his value should only be going up, and you should be able to get more once/if he starts putting up tavares numbers. if you can get a giroux/seguin for him now then do it, but chances are those managers would require mackinnon + for either, so i'd rather just keep him.

i'd take mackinnon over hall in an instant.

Dobber Sports Titan

It all depends on who you get for Mac. If I had him on my current team, I’d be open to trades. Mac+E.Kane for Benn+Giroux. Ya sure, give me 2 ppg players. Every player goes through a bit of a slump their second yr, I’d expect Mac too as well. If not a slump, he’d go sideways so to speak. Same amount of points. However, if I’m a team with a bunch of young guys on it, Mac would be untouchable. In my league, the guy who has Mac is in pure rookie mode, and somehow won it this yr. He has Drouin, Mac, Hedman, Tavares, Bishop, Hodgson, Schwartz, and other young guys. He’s set for the rest of the league. So Mac on his team is untouchable.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    he's not elite yet, obviously i'd take giroux or seguin over him at this point...getz and backstrom too depending on league scoring. but if i am rebuilding, i'm not moving him yet, his value should only be going up, and you should be able to get more once/if he starts putting up tavares numbers. if you can get a giroux/seguin for him now then do it, but chances are those managers would require mackinnon + for either, so i'd rather just keep him.

i'd take mackinnon over hall in an instant.
    You'd take MacKinnon over Hall, but not MacKinnon over Seguin?

Hall had, what, 4 points less this season than Seguin?

He's sporting a career 0.37 PPG over and 0.91 PPG over 246 games. Right now, he's a perennial 30 goal, 75 point player on EDMONTON.

This speaks to the relative underratedness of Taylor Hall over the relative overrating of Tyler Seguin.

I'd be hard pressed to take either Hall or Seguin over MacKinnon. He's had an arguably more impressive rookie season than either of them did, and he's almost 8 months younger than Seguin relative to his rookie season, and almost a year relative to Hall's.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    You'd take MacKinnon over Hall, but not MacKinnon over Seguin?

Hall had, what, 4 points less this season than Seguin?

He's sporting a career 0.37 PPG over and 0.91 PPG over 246 games. Right now, he's a perennial 30 goal, 75 point player on EDMONTON.

This speaks to the relative underratedness of Taylor Hall over the relative overrating of Tyler Seguin.
    Probably more about Hall's apparent reckless play. But I agree, they are on par, when both healthy.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sadly the manager that has him will never deal him. Will be a long 15 years of watching him from afar
    Your chance to pick him up will probably be when he gets hurt and the owner is battling for first. One way to pick up a superstar, you are still going to pay for him.
    Thats how I picked up Bobrovsky and Datsyuk this year. Datsyuk for M Michalek (Owner was desperate and had to open up cap space to pick up Crosby(expires in our league) - he ended up winning and I got Datsyuk for playoffs and next year if I want to keep him)
    Never say never
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I traded him 2 weeks ago. With all the hype right now I'm regretting not waiting. I still got good return, but man...

I gave up:
    Benn, Neal, MacKinnon

for

Stamkos, Kane, 2 keeper spots (we can trade them to other teams) for next offseason,
    12 Team H2H
    3C LW RW, 4F, 4D, 2G 8 bench.
    (G) 5 (A) 5 (Blk) 0.2 (Hit) 0.2 (PIM) 0.3 (+/-) 1 (SOG) 0.2
    (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 7 (W) 7

Dobber Sports Monster

I think the hype has gotten out of control. People are now saying McDavid isn't going to be as good as him. I think the expectations will come down a bit once they realize his 18 year old season was exceptional in part due to his advanced maturity and strength - which are great things, but they can decieve you into thinking his upside is bigger than it actually is (given that most 18 year olds of his skill usually arent as mature mentally or physically). Still going to be a tremendous player, but I still look back at his pre-NHL projections amongst scouts, and they weren't as high as people are saying now. I kept hearing: elite #1 center, guaranteed to make NHL at 18 because of strength, but NOT a generational talent or anywhere close to Crosby, Malkin level.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    I think the hype has gotten out of control. People are now saying McDavid isn't going to be as good as him. I think the expectations will come down a bit once they realize his 18 year old season was exceptional in part due to his advanced maturity and strength - which are great things, but they can decieve you into thinking his upside is bigger than it actually is (given that most 18 year olds of his skill usually arent as mature mentally or physically). Still going to be a tremendous player, but I still look back at his pre-NHL projections amongst scouts, and they weren't as high as people are saying now. I kept hearing: elite #1 center, guaranteed to make NHL at 18 because of strength, but NOT a generational talent or anywhere close to Crosby, Malkin level.
    lmao...so lemme guess, you DO thing McDavid is to be a generational talent?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    lmao...so lemme guess, you DO thing McDavid is to be a generational talent?
    I think the pertinent point, was the pre-draft scouting reports. Especially considering these boards were arguing about Mac v Drouin.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I think the pertinent point, was the pre-draft scouting reports. Especially considering these boards were arguing about Mac v Drouin.
    Yep, I know it, I had a whole pack of people on here trying to convince me that they were interchangeable...as the old saying goes 'believe half of what you see and almost nothing of what you hear'. There's probably half a dozen people on here with solid, objective analysis that I pay attention to, the rest is just the hype train rolling thru

For the record I think McDavid is going to be fantastic too, I just recognize how rare a 63pt rookie is, especially one who played the 1/3 of the season on the 3rd line That and I haven't watched enough tape of McDavid yet to form an idea of how good he'll be and how soon (that's my offseason homework that I have to work on)