Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keep 7 - Ryan Johansen vs. Eric Staal

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Keep 7 - Ryan Johansen vs. Eric Staal

I think you have enough established stars on your keeper roster to go for "higher upside" player here. I think that Johanssen will have a few more years with 70+ points than Staal. Go with RJ here.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Novice

I like this line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    I would go with Johansen - younger , upside - even though big fan of Staal.
    Option
    Is there an option of trading Staal and one of your protectors for an upgrade, as Staal would have some big trade value. Target a manager who has some high end but not much depth.
    You always hate to throw back a big asset for nothing.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm a proven over potential guy. If you are in the running to win in the next couple of years, definitely Staal for me.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    I think you have enough established stars on your keeper roster to go for "higher upside" player here. I think that Johanssen will have a few more years with 70+ points than Staal. Go with RJ here.
    Rick Nash could barely do it on the blue jackets.. I just don't see the team as offensive dynamo!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Rick Nash could barely do it on the blue jackets.. I just don't see the team as offensive dynamo!
    it's not 2009 anymore....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Your keepers are win now keepers. Staal will add nicely to that. I love RJ and I like his age and upside quite a bit. I'd like to see more of a consistent sample size of his production beyond one year. I side with Staal's history here.

How big is your league?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Put me down for Ryan Johansen. I find Staal way too inconsistent for my liking. You dont know if you are going to get a point per game player or a garbage player from year to year. I would rather put my money on an up and comer who has just proved that he can score in the NHL.

I have Staal in a couple of my leagues and I would trade him for Johansen in an instant.
    Yeah cuz the seven straight years of 70+ points were so inconsistent. I'm not disagreeing with the Johansen take but if you think Staal has been inconsistent I think that has more to do with you.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    it's not 2009 anymore....
    Which is good or bad? LOL

I just wouldn't bet on CBJ having a 70+ player on their team. I just don't see the supporting cast their to make it happen.

Whereas E. Staal is different. You can get good value from him, and is rather consistent.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yeah cuz the seven straight years of 70+ points were so inconsistent. I'm not disagreeing with the Johansen take but if you think Staal has been inconsistent I think that has more to do with you.
    Just wanted to point out the snide comment here at the end.

I like to spot trends and have somewhat decent success rate(won't toot my horn too loud though) you look at some of the key stats over the last three full NHL seasons(hard to count a lockout shortened season IMO) and you'll notice a trend...look at goals, points, power play goals, power play assists, shots on goal and point per game ratio...all trending down three years in a row. He'll be 30 in October. Noticeable drop off in play and effectiveness with ye old faithful eye test. Carolina is a team in transition and major changes are expected this summer. It's fast becoming Jeff Skinner's team. So add in the fact Staal could be traded to Toronto or Vancouver or Edmonton or where ever...and who knows how he responds to that...there are plenty of reasons to suggest Eric Staal is not the best option for the OP and he should go with Ryan Johansen who has been phenomenal this season. Eric Staal has been inconsistent the numbers show that and the drop off in play shows that.

Furthermore...Johansen's talent has never be a question. Many of us have been expecting this kind of season from Johansen but it took him a little time. He had some issues with consistency himself to iron out, as well as attitude and effort. He was benched in the AHL playoffs this past season...that was his wake up call and he worked his tail off to improve in the areas Jarmo Keklainen and company told him to. Results are there before us. There's no regression coming here...Johansen is the CBJ's #1 center moving forward.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i am not sure Johansen is going to be a consistent 70+ player, people for some reason ignore the reality of what goes on in the NHL

the number of 70+ players has been going down and it was less than 20 this past season

Johansen is a very good player but i find it difficult to believe he will be a top 20 forward in the league for multiple seasons

not every player is going to have multiple 70+ point seasons just like not every player has 100 point upside

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max