Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Banned

Default Re: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Have to agree that a season and half, when a guy is still 20, is likely too early to write off his career - especially considering he has been playing for one of the worst teams in the NHL during that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for these stats. Helps put into perspective Yak's development. We shouldn't be completely worried "yet"
    normally this is the case and I would agree, but not when it comes to a Russian. If they don't become anything special during their ELc years, there is no point for them to sign a cheap deal here when they can go to the KHL. Even if the guy wanted to stay, he likely wouldn't. He would be paid and treated like royalty there.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    normally this is the case and I would agree, but not when it comes to a Russian. If they don't become anything special during their ELc years, there is no point for them to sign a cheap deal here when they can go to the KHL. Even if the guy wanted to stay, he likely wouldn't. He would be paid and treated like royalty there.
    Well then at least we aren't left waiting until year 4, 5 or 6 for a breakout. If he's gone, he's gone, cut bait. But until then, wait and see.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Pro

If you believe everything you ever read and see on these boards then you probably shouldn't be taking part in fantasy hockey. Every person needs to formulate their own opinion and figure it out for themselves. No one should just come to the forums and believe everything all the experts say is going to be 100% correct all the time. Also to expect someone to say they're wrong about a prospect 111 games into their NHL careers is just crazy. Give it a few more seasons before you go declaring a prospect a bust. I'm still confident in Yakupov, and if he doesn't develop then I'll come back to the forum and admit that I was wrong, since people here seem to want credibility. (Experts shouldn't be the only ones held to this) Also as far as using him being Russian as an excuse to write him off, that's just ridiculous. Nationality shouldn't play any part in it. If he was Canadian those same people would be saying he just needs more time, and so on and so forth.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    If you believe everything you ever read and see on these boards then you probably shouldn't be taking part in fantasy hockey. Every person needs to formulate their own opinion and figure it out for themselves. No one should just come to the forums and believe everything all the experts say is going to be 100% correct all the time. Also to expect someone to say they're wrong about a prospect 111 games into their NHL careers is just crazy. Give it a few more seasons before you go declaring a prospect a bust. I'm still confident in Yakupov, and if he doesn't develop then I'll come back to the forum and admit that I was wrong, since people here seem to want credibility. (Experts shouldn't be the only ones held to this) Also as far as using him being Russian as an excuse to write him off, that's just ridiculous. Nationality shouldn't play any part in it. If he was Canadian those same people would be saying he just needs more time, and so on and so forth.
    Who is writing him off because he is Russian? Don't see that here.

You don't have to apologize if he busts, but you should be held accountable if you say he is better than Tavares and Stamkos.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I can see a Larsson+ for Yak. Both picked early in the first, and struggling to prove their worth. Florida seems likely too. Maybe Pit and Montreal, maybeee.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have concerns about Yakupov. However, the people who think that he has a poor work ethic could not be more wrong and I would question much of anything else they have to say on the topic of Yakupov because they obviously don't know a single thing about him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/y...ty-post-break/

If there’s one thing I’ve learned watching Nail Yakupov skate over the past year, it’s that relentless work ethic – a stoic, easily discernible quality on full display at all times. Few work harder and are more accountable than he is. Almost every day, practice ends with a voluntary bag skate. After a game, the stairs are most common.

“That’s what they should all be doing,” Oilers coach Dallas Eakins said. “Nail works extremely hard.”

He's know as a first on, last off guy who works incredibly hard to become a better player. It's one of the main reasons I have not lost too much hope in the kid. He has a drive that is higher than almost anyone else on the team according to those who know him.

There are lots of question marks about his defense, his agent calling out the team, and the KHL risk, but to call into question his work ethic makes it obvious you don't know much about him as a player.

Dobber Sports Padawan

well said, most people ignorantly state reasons they think he will fail. I think he will be just fine, not sure if it's in Edmonton where he reaches his ceiling though.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Banned

There are two different types of work ethic - on ice and off ice. Off ice work ethic may be fine, but on ice it's a completely different story.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    well said, most people ignorantly state reasons they think he will fail. I think he will be just fine, not sure if it's in Edmonton where he reaches his ceiling though.
    Yeah, I do think he's struggled big time this year. He was really dynamic in his first season though, and a guy like Joe Thornton started slow out of the gate as well and still did ok for himself.

Certainly hope he can turn it around next season though as that would seem to be a huge year for him to see what the Oilers have in him as a player. I question his brains a bit out there to be honest, as he looks lost way more often than he should on the ice, and that's a big red flag. However, if he can get some of that worked out, his physical talent is there.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yeah, I do think he's struggled big time this year. He was really dynamic in his first season though, and a guy like Joe Thornton started slow out of the gate as well and still did ok for himself.

Certainly hope he can turn it around next season though as that would seem to be a huge year for him to see what the Oilers have in him as a player. I question his brains a bit out there to be honest, as he looks lost way more often than he should on the ice, and that's a big red flag. However, if he can get some of that worked out, his physical talent is there.
    There are two different types of work ethic - on ice and off ice. Off ice work ethic may be fine, but on ice it's a completely different story.
    I thought he looked like he was working hard out there. It's hard to get going when you're in the coaches doghouse and he doesn't give you many minutes and your entire team is under performing. I don't think that's his issue.

Yah I think he needs some time to adjust to the NHL, but we'll see how things go. He has the talent to be great, and if all fails he'll still be an NHLer.
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I thought he looked like he was working hard out there. It's hard to get going when you're in the coaches doghouse and he doesn't give you many minutes and your entire team is under performing. I don't think that's his issue.

Yah I think he needs some time to adjust to the NHL, but we'll see how things go. He has the talent to be great, and if all fails he'll still be an NHLer.

He does work hard on the ice, you're right. Not a single person connected to the team thinks otherwise.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yah, I'm a Flames fan and I can still admit that lol
    10 Team keeper league
    H2H

Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Definitely a risk, and up until the whole Kovalchuk issue I would have shrugged it off. We'll have to watch Yakupov as his ELC comes up. However, from everything I've read he is pretty comfortable in North America and has been for some time. I'll be surprised if he leaves.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I can see a Larsson+ for Yak. Both picked early in the first, and struggling to prove their worth. Florida seems likely too. Maybe Pit and Montreal, maybeee.
    There are a lot of trade scenarios that could improve Edmonton's defence. I just worry that it's a massive risk for them to bail on a #1 overall pick this soon.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    He does work hard on the ice, you're right. Not a single person connected to the team thinks otherwise.
    well I can't speak for what he does in practice but on the ice in actual games (especially in the 2nd half) I didn't see much hard work...I saw a guy coasting between offensive chances and perpetually riding the blue line hoping for a stretch pass to spring him for a breakaway. That's not to say that if you have talent like he does that you shouldn't look to exploit it, but when that becomes your entire game to the detriment of everything else it makes you a petty shitty, one-dimensional hockey player. I dunno, you watch more of him I'm sure so maybe I need to watch more but lets just say that I've seen more than a few symptoms of LRS from him this season.