View Poll Results: Given what I stated below, which side do you prefer?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stamkos+

9 75.00%
  • Karlsson+

3 25.00%

Thread: Stamkos+ for Karlsson+

Dobber Sports Veteran

Exclamation Stamkos+ for Karlsson+

Well, just as I thought the offseason would be relaxing, a GM and good friend of mine asks if I would do my Stamkos for his Karlsson.

Initial hunch is no, mainly because a 50-60 goal player is pretty impossible to find. At the same time, I do think it is a "reasonable" offer as Karlsson has the potential to clear the next best D-man in points by 20. I told him I would want a 2 for 2, with a small upgrade coming back my way. It would entail something with one of our lower keepers, and he seems down to do that. I will of course figure out what that player swap is after, but first want to ask:

Given my league settings (G, A, +/-, Shots, Hits, Blocks) and keepers (bolded in signature), would you trade Stamkos+ for Karlsson+, whereby the +'s would be a small upgrade coming back my way in a depth keeper?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Stamkos+ for Karlsson+

Not a chance. There is a higher probability of Stamkos maintaining a 90pt season than Karlsson maintaining a 70 pt season for a defence. Factor in the anticipation that TB is going to get stronger as their youth develops and OTT really is stagnant right now, there's more risk with holding Karlsson. If you keep Stamkos, it's going help your Goal and SOG cats through the roof when he puts up 50 goals and 300 sog going forward. Just my bias opinion here.

Right now we don't know if the OTT goaltending is stable, and we don't even know if Spezza will be in OTT uniform next season. Too many unknowns with OTT so gotta wait till the dust settles before I put more trust into their ability to score goals. Stamkos is the safer option.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Not a chance. There is a higher probability of Stamkos maintaining a 90pt season than Karlsson maintaining a 70 pt season for a defence. Factor in the anticipation that TB is going to get stronger as their youth develops and OTT really is stagnant right now, there's more risk with holding Karlsson. If you keep Stamkos, it's going help your Goal and SOG cats through the roof when he puts up 50 goals and 300 sog going forward. Just my bias opinion here.

Right now we don't know if the OTT goaltending is stable, and we don't even know if Spezza will be in OTT uniform next season. Too many unknowns with OTT so gotta wait till the dust settles before I put more trust into their ability to score goals. Stamkos is the safer option.
    Nice insight. That said, is the uncertainty of Ottawa that concerning? Ryan seemed to have a bit of an off year, and their goaltending was atrocious - yet Karlsson still dominated. But I do agree that Stamkos is indeed the safer option.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wouldn't do it unless it was more than a small upgrade on the rest of your keepers. Assuming Johansen (production) or St. Louis (age) or Carlson are your bottom 3 keepers, I'd be looking at like

Stamkos + Carlson

for

Karlsson + Couture

or something like that

Dobber Sports Stud

I would hold onto Stamkos here as well

Karlsson is a stud D but as a recent thread here stated, D scoring is very inconsistent.
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would do that deal easily. An easy win for you straightup I think and if you get an upgrade somewhere it's a bonus.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I would do that deal easily. An easy win for you straightup I think and if you get an upgrade somewhere it's a bonus.
    How would it be an easy win straight up, exactly? I really think it is quite debatable, hence the thread. If anything, I find Stamkos' 60 goals to be irreplaceable - but still a trade worth considering. Can you elaborate on your statement?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not an easy one - I can understand why you want to take your time and review it. For me Stamkos looks to be a top 5 asset for at least the next 3-5 seasons. Karlsson, while being the best D-man by a large margin, is still somewhat tied into how he is deployed. We've seen it with a lot of blueliners who start to be deployed differently, dragging down their numbers. I'm more comfortable projecting Stamkos the next 5 years than I am Karlsson.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Looks like I should probably keep Stamkos. Rep distributed!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with most in here. I have no problem trading a Giroux or Ovi (in most formats) for Karlsson, but here I'd hang onto Stamkos. The 3 players I wouldn't trade for Karlsson in most formats would be Crosby, Stammer, and Malkin.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Titan

Karlsson is a great player in this format too; he piles up shots for a D. But I would have to agree with everyone else on staying pat. Karlsson I think will be a threat for 80pts, but a lock for 65-70pts. Spezza may not be in a sens jersey next yr, but he was so sporadic this yr and Karlsson continued consistently to put up points. Ryan was injured like all yr. A healthy Ryan could only help Karlsson. With the goalie situation, a team consistently down a goal will use Karlsson as an offensive weapon, pushing the play forward. A team with solid goaltending would force Karlsson off the ice, or play defensively. Not in the offensive zone means no points for Karlsson.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I agree with most in here. I have no problem trading a Giroux or Ovi (in most formats) for Karlsson, but here I'd hang onto Stamkos. The 3 players I wouldn't trade for Karlsson in most formats would be Crosby, Stammer, and Malkin.
    This makes sense, however, a little tempting cause I'd order them: Crosby, Malkin, then Stamkos.

I think Karlsson is a consistent offensive force, but even then, the debate is close. Personally, I'd stay pat on Stamkos
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not a chance.

Stamkos is hard to replace in a format like that. Other than being the best goal scorer on the planet, he also surprisingly hits a lot too.

Your defense is not hurting... Karlsson is very nice in any format, but you don't absolutely need him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Not a chance.

Stamkos is hard to replace in a format like that. Other than being the best goal scorer on the planet, he also surprisingly hits a lot too.

Your defense is not hurting... Karlsson is very nice in any format, but you don't absolutely need him.
    Yup. I already weighed in, but this is bang on. I own Karlsson and I'd happily pay Karlsson + a significant other piece to land Stamkos in this format. Stick with Stammer.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon