Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bernier vs Crawford vs Lehtonen

Administrator

Default Bernier vs Crawford vs Lehtonen

Hi all,

How would you rank these goalies (Bernier, Crawford, Lehtonen) in a keeper league? If you had to choose 2 out of 3 I listed to keep on your team, who would it be?

Thanks!
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Bernier vs Crawford vs Lehtonen

Can you wait to make a decision? I think Bernier would look a lot better in Toronto is Trotz gets hired there.
    Just speculating.

Administrator

Yes, I can afford to wait. I have an opportunity to acquire Lehtonen - just wondering if he would be worth the investment compared to the other two that I already own.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Genius

Bernier
    Crawford
    Lehtonen

I prefer them in the order you have listed.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Bernier is the better of all 3. But as long as Crawford will play with Chicago, he'll get more wins...
    2014 Champion
    2015 Champion

18 teams league, G ; A ; Pts ; PIM ; +/- ; Wins ; %.
    22 players max/ team but only 8F 4D 2G are used each week.
    Farm or/and 2 way contract: 8F, 4D, 2G

Team
    F- S.Crosby, A.Ovechkin, J.Thornton, T.Johnson, N.Bjugstad, Radulov, Nyquist, R.Strome, Drouin
    D- Faulk, Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Stralman, Gardiner, J.Morrow
    G- Rask, Talbot,

Farm
    Nichushkin, Dvorak, Poirier, N.Ritchie, D.Pouliot, Zadorov, Kuemper, M.Murray, Hackett

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Crawford
    Bernier
    Lehtonen (injuries play a big part in the 3rd place distance for me)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Bernier - He had the best EV save percentage of the group at .930. Toronto was about in the middle of the pack in taking penalties; and they aren't very good at killing them off. Alot of this will depend on a potential coaching change.

Crawford - EV save percentage of .927. Chicago takes very few penalties (6th lowest in the league) They were below average on the PK this year too, but they are the best team on the list and will win. Score effects will probably mean he will see more rubber late in games too

Lehtonen - EV save percentage of .928. Dallas was a little better than average in taking penalties. They are weak on the backend though, but I think they will win more than Toronto.

If I were you, I'd keep Crawford for the wins. I'd wait to see what happens in Toronto. If things stay the same I'd go with Lehtonen over Bernier. My opinion my be a little biased because I have a sweet spot for the Finnish goaltenders.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Crawford - definitely has the edge in wins here so I would have him at the top of the list

Bernier - IMO the best "goalie" on this list but will most likely have the fewest wins. Should make up for it in saves though as I see him receiving a ton of starts next year. Having Trotz potentially take over is just gravy (and of course pure speculation at this point)

Lehtonen - #3 on my list but talented. Injury woes are of course a concern but its not like Bernier hasnt had his own. He is close to Bernier in this list but I just see safer with Bernier as the #2. The Leaf crease is his and see a big future
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

Depends on your categories. I focus on certain categories, so I dominate the majority and throw some out the window. If you want to dominate wins and GAA, Crawford and Lethonen would be the goalies. If you want to do Saves and S% and flirt with winning the W’s category, I’d take Bernier and Lethonen. Crawford isn’t a great goalie, he’s great for the price Chicago has him for, and he does what Chicago needs from him. Crawford will not get you SO too. I’d take Lethonen and Bernier, but I’m a biased Leaf fan.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Crawford
    Lehtonen
    Bernier

So many people still undervalue Lehtonen. What does this guy need to do to get into their ''good books''? Band-aid boy this, injury-prone that... They guy has carried his team for the past 3 years while managing to miss some games here and there (like any goalie including Bernier).

The age factor is a 5 year difference so no biggie here IMO, unless you plan on rebuilding for the next 2-3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I value Bernier as I feel that he can be a top 10-15 goalie in the NHL (around 16th ATM in my opinion). I just feel that Lehtonen does not get his well-deserved credit and that he should already be considered a top 10-15 goalie (13th IMO).

As for Crawford, he is in a great situation and he has very good skills so he is my hands-down number 1 in this scenario.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Initiate

There seems to be high overall confidence in Bernier being the real deal, with the only concern being his team's wretched defence. That said, we have only seen one full season from him. Is he really a safe bet? I am curious, because I am seriously considering trying to acquire him, but I don't want the next Mason/Raycroft on my hands if I do.
    As for Lehtonen, Bass56 has a point. Yes, he gets injured, but the past few years it has been 5 games, 8 games at a time, not the 20+ games at a time we used to see from him in Atlanta.

Dobber Sports Titan

Bernier I think is the real deal. He’s been a starting goalie caliber goalie for 2 years now. It’s not like Raycroft/mason situation. Those goalies came into the league as rookies and had 1 season. Bernier has been around for like 4 years now? He’s developed the winning mentality in LA so he won’t crumble so easily. He has picked up things working with a goalie that traditionally goes lights out in the important games. If Bernier was a rookie this yr and did that season I would be scared of him, but he’s played before and knows the NHL system. Also looking forward, I hope the organization knows they need D help, which can help Berniers stats. When he started getting the nods over Reimer, I started to get nervous because he was only use to starting a few games here and there. He certainly proved he can withstand 50 games, so I would like to see him push 60 starts next yr.

I say he can handle it because he didn’t pull a muscle, or look slow ever. He had injuries due to people hitting him. If the D can protect him from being hit and not need so many saves, he could be the next workhorse goalie. 65-70 starts
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Crawford
    Lehtonen
    Bernier (who can slide higher, but would need to see a full season from him)
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Is he really a safe bet? I am curious, because I am seriously considering trying to acquire him, but I don't want the next Mason/Raycroft on my hands if I do.
    He will not be the next Raycroft, that's for sure because he's played consistently every season, whether it be with the Kings as a backup or with the Leafs as a tandem starter.

Mason has bounced back nicely this year and I think he will continue his good play (nothing spectacular; i.e. Ward), but I would not compare him to Bernier.

Bernier is a young goalie in his mid-twenties that has a winning pedigree and that has been eye candy on farm teams for the past few years. Give the kid some time to grow; he should become a good starter in a couple of years. I can compare him to Fleury on certain aspects. The only problem is that Fleury's stats are inflated slightly in part because of the team he plays for (hence more W's than most goalies on a given year but comparable ratios). As I said previously, he's a top 10-15 goalie in the next few years for sure but I do not see him ahead of the following 15 guys for the 2014-15 campaign:

Tuukka Rask
    Antti Niemi
    Carey Price

Marc-Andre Fleury
    Jonathan Quick
    Henrik Lundqvist
    Semyon Varlamov
    Corey Crawford
    Ben Bishop
    Sergei Bobrovsky

Ryan Miller
    Kari Lehtonen
    Cory Schneider
    Roberto Luongo
    Mike Smith
    -------------------------
    Jonas Hiller (his stock could drop immensely should he go to a team like Buffalo)
    Jonathan Bernier
    Jimmy Howard
    Pekka Rinne
    Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Tuukka Rask
    Antti Niemi
    Carey Price

Marc-Andre Fleury
    Jonathan Quick
    Henrik Lundqvist
    Semyon Varlamov
    Corey Crawford
    Ben Bishop
    Sergei Bobrovsky

Ryan Miller
    Kari Lehtonen
    Cory Schneider
    Roberto Luongo
    Mike Smith
    -------------------------
    Jonas Hiller (his stock could drop immensely should he go to a team like Buffalo)
    Jonathan Bernier
    Jimmy Howard
    Pekka Rinne
    Steve Mason
    But Smith is garbage. Not sure how Bernier, Howard, and Rinne are below Smith. They are far superior.