Thread: My playoff team

Dobber Sports Guru

Default My playoff team

Did my pool with my buddies the other night. Team below. We did something unique that was mentioned in a column a few weeks back: We had 16 rounds, and you had to choose one player from each team. So there was definitely strategy needed. Out of six owners, I picked sixth.

Tom
    1. Neal
    2. Perry
    3. Datsyuk
    4. MaxPac
    5. Voracek
    6. MacKinnon
    7. Keith
    8. Gaborik
    9. Hedman
    10. Johansen
    11. Pietrangelo
    12. Brassard
    13. Granlund
    14. Whitney
    15. Hertl
    16. Chara

Notes: Bruins and Sharks went early, which means since I was the only who didn't have one, I could just save those two picks for the end.

I chose Perry early because after the top two, there isn't a lot of good points-only players in Anaheim.

The Johansen pick at the end of the 10th round was the first Columbus player to be chosen.

First round chosen, in order: Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Krejic, Giroux and Neal.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: My playoff team

I love the set-up. I responded a moment ago, but then deleted it after I realized I'm an idiot.
    Neal was a smart first grab because the drop-off after him to the next Pen (with the exception of Kunitz) was pretty significant.
    Datsyuk feels early to me. Just because I don't love their chances, and I'm not sure how many points will separate him from one of their other guys. In 5-6 games (my prediction), the Wings could easily be led by a Franzen/Helm/Kronwall.

Still, cool set-up!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Ace

This is the kind of set-up that I have propagated/mentioned in another thread for draft type playoff pools that makes most sense (max limit of players from each team). Gives everyone a fair chance. I LIKE IT!!!

No goalies - was it a skaters only pool?

I too feel that Dats went early (18th overall?). Let's see - the first 7 picks: Sid, Geno, Getz, Krejci, Giroux, Neal, Perry. The next 10 (my assumption) would (more than likely) have been any combination of the following - P Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Stamkos, Iginla, Lucic, Sharp, Seguin, Benn, Thornton, Marleau, Hossa, Carter, Pavelski, Couture, St.Louis, Kunitz, Duchene, Vanek. Could have had 1 of these guys as your Rd 3 pick.

Regardless, ok job drafting. Best of luck.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Guru

No goalies in the pool. And I believe the Wings will upset the Bruins, so I wanted to take a Wing early, especially with so many injury concerns on that team. I also wanted to stay away from teams who I thought were going to lose in the first round until later on, so I didn't go after guys like Benn, Seguin, or Kings players until later on in the draft. Guys like Duchene and Zetterberg weren't taken at all because of their injury concerns.

Pretty much, six of my first seven picks were all from teams I expect to make the second round.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

I'd recommend the format to anyone, it was definitely a lot of fun.

Of course, in retrospect, I'd also recommend to actually prepare for this format, lol.

I didn't stumble onto some of the strategy until the 10th or so round....