Thread: Some prospects I need to decide on this summer

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Some prospects I need to decide on this summer

These guys are scattered across two different leagues, all of which count g,a,p,hits,blocks,shots,+-,PIMs and one of which counts faceoffs. Both cap leagues, so cheap, serviceable players that I can rotate up and down from the farm to fill in for injured guys, or just swap out when one is hot and another is cold are very useful to me.

These are all guys who are no longer eligible for the prospect team, and would now have to occupy a farm spot. I will list which way I am leaning in each case. I would appreciate any input you might have. (And rep of course).

Dillon Fournier (2 leagues) - Thinking drop. He's in a deep system, probably years away, and doesn't look like he will be too exciting.
    Slater Koekkoek - Drop...Band-Aid boy. I want to keep him, but it's hard to imagine him thriving in the NHL when he's always hurt.
    Ludvig Bystrom - Drop. Seems like he'll be a middling points, mediocre peripherals type.
    Scott Kosmachuk - Keep. Nothing too exciting but should be a good PIMs/hits guy who won't cost me much cap space as an injury call-up.
    Phil DiGiuseppe - No clue. His numbers don't seem to be progressing much at the college level, but his Dobberprospects profile is positive.
    Mattia Marcantuoni - No progress in his junior numbers really.
    Jake McCabe - Keep. Not expecting dominance, but seems like he should be cheap, serviceable NHLer for a few years, with some upside.
    Jake Paterson - Keep? It's the kind of league where every goalie that is breathing is owned. If he makes NHL at all, he will have value.

Any thoughts on any of these guys? Remember, I don't need them to be awesome. Just cheap and useful bottom-of-the-roster types. I didn't bother to ask about the actual good prospects I have to decide on this year. Just hoping for some advice on these guys who are sort of borderline.

Dobber Sports Pro

Post Re: Some prospects I need to decide on this summer

Wouldn't drop Koekkoek that's just...cuckoo. He has the most upside of anyone on this list fantasy wise and it's not really even debatable. KK played his best season of his junior career and was arguably the best dman in the OHL this season...I mean it sucks he got hurt again but give the kid a break(Ha, a break!)

Seriously though...he has legit top pairing upside. Whether he achieves it or not, well that's another story. Patience. He's not going to be NHL ready regardless for another two years...look at Connor Murphy. Similar injury issues and he started his 1st year pro in Portland and played well enough to earn NHL call-ups...and looked pretty good doing it. He also did this: http://sports.yahoo.com/video/connor...033003524.html

And I'd say KK has a lot higher offensive upside than Connor Murphy does.

Only other players on that list IMO worth anything even in the deepest of leagues is McCabe, and that's likely only if it counts hit+blk shots.

Hope this helps.

I...am your father.

Default Re: Some prospects I need to decide on this summer

Yes, you need to keep cuckoo

Even if he keeps getting hurt, his hype entering the NHL and his early results will increase his trade value. Paterson is worth keeping another year
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks Hitman. You are probably right that I should give Koekkoek a bit more of an opportunity, despite his fragility. I will squeeze him in.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether Kosmachuk could manage a 2 hits per game pace in the NHL? Is his level of physicality that high? In the league where I own him, 160 hits, 100 PIM, 20+ points and an even +- would make him a useful piece.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm not that familiar with Kosmachuk other than I seem to remember Brendan Ross was pretty big on him his draft year...that definitely means something.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would say you keep Koekkoek and Kosmachuk for sure, if goalies are also at a premium then keep Paterson too. DiGiuseppe and McCabe I would also keep if you can.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    I'm not that familiar with Kosmachuk other than I seem to remember Brendan Ross was pretty big on him his draft year...that definitely means something.
    Kosy is good....VERY good. Fast...great Hands. Move over Sheif...Scotty Kos is coming to town and going to challenge for some big time minutes! (YES...I'm writing this from Guelph...but I've also been following the Storm VERY close all season long. Kos is good man! GREAT blend of Skill and Physicality.

Another good Sleeper to keep an eye on who just signed with the Wild is Zack Mitchell. He's having a sick post season...after a very good regular season. big kid, very physical ahnd would blend nicely into a top 6 role in Minny as well. Just a side bar here.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd drop Paterson if something more interesting comes along. Howard is signed till 2018-19 and Mrazek has a stranglehold on the top goalie prospect spot, I'd even argue that Mrazek will somehow play Jimmy H or himself out of Detroit (trade) sometime before his contract ends.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.