Thread: Anyone read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep?

I...am your father.

Default Anyone read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep?

Just wondering what you think of it?

Pretty soon I'm going to take a couple of weeks off from my Star Wars novels to catch up on some other series I follow (King books, Reacher books, I think I'm behind a couple of Drizzt books as well)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Anyone read Stephen King's Doctor Sleep?

I have, and I thought it was pretty good - if you are a King fan then you should enjoy it. Pretty typical King stuff, but for me that's a good thing.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

negative. I only read personal development books, and if I go for entertainment books they typically are biographies...

not sure why I typed that out, but that's what you're getting lol.

#uselesspostfromme

Dobber Sports Guru

Not sure if I can trust any Stephen King books anymore. I find he's a great writer, but he doesn't know how to end books. The Cell, Under the Dome, etc. have all ended badly. Even the Stand had a weak ending.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Not sure if I can trust any Stephen King books anymore. I find he's a great writer, but he doesn't know how to end books. The Cell, Under the Dome, etc. have all ended badly. Even the Stand had a weak ending.
    I think you're onto something. He KNEW how to end books...but that knowledge seems to have left him 25 years ago

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ever since he got hit by that van, he's struggled to be as good as he was before the accident. I have Doctor Sleep on my "to read" list. I'm on book four of the Dark Tower series of seven books. Pretty good so far, but even those had a long break from before and after the accident. I'm curious to see if I notice a decline in his writing abilities (not that I'm a good judge).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Shining 2: The Milking? No, I haven't. I will. I can't resist King's stuff, as much as he annoys me. His endings tend to be awful, and he really mangled the Dark Tower in the later books.

If you haven't read Joe Hill's books, you should. He is King's son, and even before I knew that, while reading Horns I thought "Wow, this guy writes like King would, if King still gave a shit."

Dobber Sports Guru

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I read 11/22/63 recently. That was solid.

Dobber, I'm curious (honestly) what your 24 hours of your day looks like?
    Do you have a webcam where I can watch you?
    How do you find time to do the website, 2 daughters, wife, AND reading time?

I've got job, 2 daughters, wife... and can not (for the life of me) fit in reading time (or exercise time, for that matter)!
    What the fugg.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm on book 7 of The Dark Tower, and I go from thinking the series is good, to okay, to outright hating it and thinking that King is either incredibly lazy as a writer or he's so far up his own butt that he thinks every idea that pops into his head is a good one. I'm slogging through it so that I can finally move on to something else. Comish, I'm sorry to tell you that book 4 is the pinnacle of that series.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yeah, the first four are great, four probably is the pinnacle, and on the other side of that pinnacle is the ledge that breaks off, and somehow ends up above you ass you fall, Wile. E Coyote style.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    If you haven't read Joe Hill's books, you should. He is King's son, and even before I knew that, while reading Horns I thought "Wow, this guy writes like King would, if King still gave a shit."
    Interesting, never heard of him...but I'll give him a try

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I read 11/22/63 recently. That was solid.

Dobber, I'm curious (honestly) what your 24 hours of your day looks like?
    Do you have a webcam where I can watch you?
    How do you find time to do the website, 2 daughters, wife, AND reading time?

I've got job, 2 daughters, wife... and can not (for the life of me) fit in reading time (or exercise time, for that matter)!
    What the fugg.
    The key is - little sleep. 5 hours a night twice a week, 6 hours a night four times, and then a big 8 hour night to catch up a bit.

Otherwise - I read when I eat, shit, before I go to bed, and 40 minutes on the treadmill a day. That actually adds up to a couple hours a day while doing things I'd be doing anyway

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Otherwise - I read when I eat, shit, before I go to bed

There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run...wait got off on a tangent there. There was a time when I could read on the toilet, or set fantasy lineups for that matter. That all ended as soon as my kid became even remotely mobile. First it was the cats. Couldn't close the bathroom door because the Siamese would fling herself against it to the point where I was concerned about concussions. But you know, I managed. With my daughter though, there is no way. She has to run in every minute and inform me that I am not playing Frozen enthusiastically enough.