Thread: Paul Maurice signs 4 year deal with Jets

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Paul Maurice signs 4 year deal with Jets

The deal is done. Chevy will have a press conference at 10am CST.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449506

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Paul Maurice signs 4 year deal with Jets

Yes, that is great news for the Jets - predicting playoffs next year. He will get goaltending issue settled, even if it is keeping Pavalec.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Master

Somewhat expected. Good for Maurice. They went pretty much .500 with him, which was better than the slide under Noel. I'm a fan of Maurice, so I'm glad to see this for him. Removes any speculation that someone else would be in the running for the job. 4 year deal is pretty nice for a coach. Used to be more 3 years.. Now 4? Nice. I expect the Jets to compete for a wild card next year, like this year... Having an unsucking Enstrom and a Healthy Scheifele should go a long way.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    4 year deal is pretty nice for a coach. Used to be more 3 years.. Now 4? Nice.
    Coaches banded together and started demanding better severance packages for after they get fired.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Coaches banded together and started demanding better severance packages for after they get fired.
    Indeed... though more like they banded together and asked for more job security at the outset.. which then turned into longer payout periods if they got fired early, the payout of the length of the K being guaranteed...

Hey, they are the commodities so if they band together of sorts to get better conditions for themselves, all power to them.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Icon

Would have preferred a 3-year deal, but I'm glad Maurice is returning. He's got more fire on the bench (than Noel) and its good to see. Hopefully they can get the Kane situation settled too (commitment or trade, whatever).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Agreed, PD. I would have preferred a shorter term, but I am glad to see Maurice back. Trotz would have been interesting (not many coaches can be effective on one team for so long), but the way things went down, I think Maurice was the guy they had to go with. I'm sure he'll be great short-term, I just hope it works out long-term.

I kind of hate that I'm giving this any thought, but I wonder if there's much consideration on Burmistrov or Chevy's part to try to rekindle that relationship now that Maurice is here and he's coached Russian players in the KHL. *shrug* It's probably a situation that won't end up bearing much fruit (if any) for the franchise, but until it's resolved, Burmistrov is a Jets asset in limbo.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I kind of hate that I'm giving this any thought, but I wonder if there's much consideration on Burmistrov or Chevy's part to try to rekindle that relationship now that Maurice is here and he's coached Russian players in the KHL. *shrug* It's probably a situation that won't end up bearing much fruit (if any) for the franchise, but until it's resolved, Burmistrov is a Jets asset in limbo.
    Interesting point. You never know.. But it could be Radulov 2.0

Poile did manage to finally reach out to him and get him back.. but what he got back was the same selfish fool who left.. Even I thought he had matured, but nope. Oh well.. The Jets are better without more distractions.. Kane is enough on his own.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    The timing would be good to try it out considering Burmi was very good in the KHL this year. He would probably try to get verbal promises about playing time though which could be difficult when on the same team they are going the tough love route with Evander Kane.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust