View Poll Results: When does Fleury blow up this year?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • First 3 games

6 19.35%
  • By the End of the First round

5 16.13%
  • Second Round

8 25.81%
  • Never (Conn Smythe Baby!)

12 38.71%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: When Does Fleury Implode?

Administrator

Default Re: When Does Fleury Implode?

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I'm with this.

What if the Pens implode...not Fleury? Like Crosby said, he had 4 bad games against the Bruins.. No one seems to be questioning whether he'll implode..

Yes, Fleury has had troubles the last 2 playoff years, but he's also won a cup, so he CAN do it.

Classic treatment of goalies. If they don't completely steal the show, they were either adequate and carried by their teams or awful and should be canned. Like pitchers in baseball, kickers in football, goalies in hockey...

I always take a stand against always bashing the goalies. They're basically not allowed a bad game. It's such a fragile position. I'm gonna go with Fleury is ready. He's a pro. Starts on a pretty good team and is older and more mature than those past years. It can only serve to help him.

I'll honestly root for the Pens only because I want Fleury to shut people up. But I have to cheer for the Habs first. If they happen to meet the Pens, Fleury sucks and he'll implode lol.
    The problem is, if the Pens implode it sure as shit will look like Fleury did too.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    The problem is, if the Pens implode it sure as shit will look like Fleury did too.
    I hear ya, just don't count me in the bunch that will pile on Fleury BEFORE they do anyone else. Mob mentalities... History has taught us what giving in to them has given...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

What if the Pens implode...not Fleury? Like Crosby said, he had 4 bad games against the Bruins.. No one seems to be questioning whether he'll implode..
    Yeah, I'm not saying Fleury's implosion will be what costs them the playoffs. Remember, last year they lost in the 3rd round but Fleury didn't play after game 4 of the first round (well, except for the almost already lost elimination game against the Bruins). Also, there were a fair number of votes in the 'Never' column, so some have faith.

Yes, Fleury has had troubles the last 2 playoff years, but he's also won a cup, so he CAN do it.

Classic treatment of goalies. If they don't completely steal the show, they were either adequate and carried by their teams or awful and should be canned. Like pitchers in baseball, kickers in football, goalies in hockey...
    Last 4 years, not 2
    Over that time:
    3.18 GAA
    .880 SV%
    and that's despite a relatively modest workload of about 26.5 shots against per 60min (whereas Leafs goalies refer to that shot count as 'a good period')

Look, I know it is, to some degree, unfair... things like the 1-0 loss to Tampa in game 7 certainly weren't his fault, but the 4 goals/game in game 5 and 6 (and one of those he lasted only 25min)? In each of the last 4 seasons he has trotted out a pair of back to back stinkers (maybe a 3 in a row).
    Games 5 and 6 vs Tampa
    Games 2 and 3 vs Philly...
    basically anything after game 1 last year
    Games 6 and 7 against Montreal back in 2010
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's already happened. He's currently weeping and taking to himself in his change stall.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's happening as we speak lol

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying Fleury's implosion will be what costs them the playoffs. Remember, last year they lost in the 3rd round but Fleury didn't play after game 4 of the first round (well, except for the almost already lost elimination game against the Bruins). Also, there were a fair number of votes in the 'Never' column, so some have faith.

Last 4 years, not 2
    Over that time:
    3.18 GAA
    .880 SV%
    and that's despite a relatively modest workload of about 26.5 shots against per 60min (whereas Leafs goalies refer to that shot count as 'a good period')

Look, I know it is, to some degree, unfair... things like the 1-0 loss to Tampa in game 7 certainly weren't his fault, but the 4 goals/game in game 5 and 6 (and one of those he lasted only 25min)? In each of the last 4 seasons he has trotted out a pair of back to back stinkers (maybe a 3 in a row).
    Games 5 and 6 vs Tampa
    Games 2 and 3 vs Philly...
    basically anything after game 1 last year
    Games 6 and 7 against Montreal back in 2010
    I hear ya Loch. He hasn't been the best in the playoffs lately, but it doesn't mean he's the sole cause of Pittsburgh's early playoff exits. I just find it's all too common and easy to jump on a goalie and discredit him for anything he contributes to a playoff team (or team for that matter) unless he goes on the most ridiculous tear. Habs make it to the conference finals and it was Halak. All credit to Halak. None to the team in front of him, that played a wicked team game. Hawks win the Cup, Crawford was awful and his team carried him... lol It's so disproportionate sometimes. I just like a more comprehensive look at why a team did or did not win. You don't hear much about how many times forwards miss the net with their shots.. But you sure as hell hear about whether or not a goalie made a save or not.. and both have a very similar impact on the score of the game. The goaltending position is just more in the spotlight and easiest to blame most times.. like pitchers in baseball and famously, kickers in football.

I just don't like easy answers or targets. I like the truth. The whole truth. And yes I can handle it.

Pens played shaky early on and I find it hard if we were going to blame Fleury on most of those goals last night.. He played pretty well.

Go Fleury! If only to silence the critics.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Banned

Price has been just as bad as Fleury in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Padawan

didn't see the game last night. how'd Fleury do?