Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Team Canada WC Roster 2014

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Team Canada WC Roster 2014

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    All I know is that if I was an NHL player and I had an opportunity to put on the maple leaf, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I have so much respect for those guys going after such a long, demanding season, even though they are pampered like superheros, and don't have to do much except for show up and work out, not pay for anything (thank you sponsors or team or NHL), hhhheeeeeeyyyyy, wait a minute, SCREW these guys, they get paid monstrous dollars to play a game and some of them are tired? I understand if you are injured, no problem, you get a pass, but to outright turn it down? How much do you LOVE the game? When I was under 30 (if anyone makes any jokes, I will seriously use my Administrator rights and mess up your posts, lol), I played 4-5 games a week during hockey season, sometimes on two teams, plus practice, plus tournaments AND summer hockey in between my actual job. "Oh, it was a long season, I'm tired", just doesn't cut it. Man up and go have an excellent experience wearing the maple leaf in Belarus. Who knows, you might even enjoy yourself.

I expect the kids and guys trying to prove themselves to play (Monahan, Rielly, Gudbranson, Ellis), but I have a greater respect for guys like Methot, Burrows, Bieksa and especially Reimer for putting it out there and battling for Canada.
    I agree with you 100% on the pride of wearing the Maple Leaf crest in these types of tournaments. I think we have to be careful though when judging those that skip these competitions. Eric Staal played last year (let's call it an extra curricular activity). That activity cost him more than a couple of weeks of pain due to the injury sustained; he did not seem 100% at the start of the 2013-14 season and did not get to play for the Canadian Olympic team due to his slow start even though he was initially pegged as a lock.

As much as we all want to say that they ''play'' for a living (which they figuratively do), they must ensure that their bodies are fit in order to perform their NHL duties. ''Risking'' their health can jeopardize their career, which is worth a whole lot more than suiting up for their country in a not-so-important tournament.

I can tell you now that if I were in their shoes (skates), their is no chance that I would pass on such an opportunity, but I guess until I really am ''in their shoes'', there is no way to fully understand their decisions.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I agree with you 100% on the pride of wearing the Maple Leaf crest in these types of tournaments. I think we have to be careful though when judging those that skip these competitions. Eric Staal played last year (let's call it an extra curricular activity). That activity cost him more than a couple of weeks of pain due to the injury sustained; he did not seem 100% at the start of the 2013-14 season and did not get to play for the Canadian Olympic team due to his slow start even though he was initially pegged as a lock.

As much as we all want to say that they ''play'' for a living (which the figuratively do), they must ensure that their bodies are fit in order to perform their NHL duties. ''Risking'' their health can jeopardize their career, which is worth a whole lot more than suiting up for their country in a not-so-important tournament.

I can tell you now that if I were in their shoes (skates), their is no chance that I would pass on such an opportunity, but I guess until I really am ''in their shoes'', there is no way to fully understand their decisions.
    Very fair points.

On another note as an Oilers fan I was surprised and disappointed that Scrivens wasn't invited. I have no problem with Reimer getting an invite he's a serviceable goalie and was hung out to dry often by the Leafs. Scrivens has played great since coming over from the Kings better than Holtby or Reimer in my opinion. Given that they only have 1 goalie named thus far I am stunned he wasn't given an invite (maybe he was I'm not entirely sure I really think he'd be the kind of guy to take it if given).
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Very fair points.

On another note as an Oilers fan I was surprised and disappointed that Scrivens wasn't invited. I have no problem with Reimer getting an invite he's a serviceable goalie and was hung out to dry often by the Leafs. Scrivens has played great since coming over from the Kings better than Holtby or Reimer in my opinion. Given that they only have 1 goalie named thus far I am stunned he wasn't given an invite (maybe he was I'm not entirely sure I really think he'd be the kind of guy to take it if given).
    How do you know he wasn't invited?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How do you know he wasn't invited?
    I don't. I should have said disappointed to see he wasn't going. I speculated at the end of my post that he wasn't invited because he seems like the kind of guy who would jump at the opportunity to go if invited.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Genius

Scheifele will be on the team. Good for him to grab more experience after a season cut too short by injury.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    All I know is that if I was an NHL player and I had an opportunity to put on the maple leaf, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I have so much respect for those guys going after such a long, demanding season, even though they are pampered like superheros, and don't have to do much except for show up and work out, not pay for anything (thank you sponsors or team or NHL), hhhheeeeeeyyyyy, wait a minute, SCREW these guys, they get paid monstrous dollars to play a game and some of them are tired? I understand if you are injured, no problem, you get a pass, but to outright turn it down? How much do you LOVE the game? When I was under 30 (if anyone makes any jokes, I will seriously use my Administrator rights and mess up your posts, lol), I played 4-5 games a week during hockey season, sometimes on two teams, plus practice, plus tournaments AND summer hockey in between my actual job. "Oh, it was a long season, I'm tired", just doesn't cut it. Man up and go have an excellent experience wearing the maple leaf in Belarus. Who knows, you might even enjoy yourself.

I expect the kids and guys trying to prove themselves to play (Monahan, Rielly, Gudbranson, Ellis), but I have a greater respect for guys like Methot, Burrows, Bieksa and especially Reimer for putting it out there and battling for Canada.
    That's a pretty epic 7,000th post.
    And yes, I agree.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I don't. I should have said disappointed to see he wasn't going. I speculated at the end of my post that he wasn't invited because he seems like the kind of guy who would jump at the opportunity to go if invited.
    Ask and you shall receive. The professor will be playing for Canada.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=715365

FORWARDS

Troy Brouwer (Washington Capitals)

Alexandre Burrows (Vancouver Canucks)

Jason Chimera (Washington Capitals)

Cody Hodgson (Buffalo Sabres)

Jonathan Huberdeau (Florida Panthers)

Nazem Kadri (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Sean Monahan (Calgary Flames)

David Perron (Edmonton Oilers)

Mark Scheifele (Winnipeg Jets)

Kyle Turris (Ottawa Senators)

Joel Ward (Washington Capitals)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa (Vancouver Canucks)

Ryan Ellis (Nashville Predators)

Jason Garrison (Vancouver Canucks)

Erik Gudbranson (Florida Panthers)

Marc Methot (Ottawa Senators)

Tyler Myers (Buffalo Sabres)

Morgan Rielly (Toronto Maple Leafs)

GOALTENDERS

James Reimer (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Ben Scrivens (Edmonton Oilers)
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."