• Monahan

18 90.00%
  • Top four pick in '14

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Monahan vs. a top 4 pick in the 2014 entry draft

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Monahan vs. a top 4 pick in the 2014 entry draft

I like Monahan here, but only from a fantasy perspective and the fact that he has proven himself over any of the upcoming draft picks. I don't think he would go first overall in this draft because I think Reinhart, Bennett and even Ekblad have higher positional value. Keep in mind that the first three picks in 2014 are going to Florida, Buffalo and Edmonton (respectively), and I think either Florida or Edmonton will choose Ekblad as they both could use somebody to shore up their pitiful defense corps.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

If we're talking fantasy, he probably wouldn't be a guarantee to go first in this draft. In real life he definitely would. His skating needs work, but that can always improve with time, and his hands aren't superb, but he's got the traits of a leader and just knows where to be on the ice. (Toews like, though it's too soon to say he will be AS good). I think he can be a 70 point player in his prime in Calgary. Who knows maybe he exceeds my expectations. But I can see Bennett and Reinhart scoring a bit more, though I've hardly watched them. But it could really swing either way. I voted Monahan cause I'll take the proven.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Deity

I could see Edmonton taking Monahan over any of those top centers if he was available to them at #3.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I could see Edmonton taking Monahan over any of those top centers if he was available to them at #3.
    Poor Edmonton.
    Sooo glad I'm a leafs fan... right?

Dobber Sports Stud

I can't help but shake my head at all the over-hyping any rookie or young player gets on these forums (unless of course they're Russian, in which case they're all heartless bums who are a few bad games away from bolting for the KHL). First it was "Mackinon is the next Crosby!" and now we're putting Monahan in a category with Toews?! Really?

Look, Monahan is a nice player but Jonathan Toews is one of the most complete hockey players of all time. There is no way Monahan ends up in the same discussion as Toews when it's all said and done. Step away from the tracks people, you're all about to get run over by the hype train.

To answer the poster's question. I'd stick with Monahan for the simple fact that young players typically take a few years to develop and hit their stride and Monahan already has a full year of NHL experience under his belt. So, theoretically at least, Monahan is more likely to reach fantasy relevance before any of the kids from this year's draft do. There's no guarantee that the players from this year's draft will even be playing in the NHL next year, so Monahan could end up having 2-3 seasons of NHL experience on them by the time they make it to the big league. It would be a different story if you had guys in the top 4 of year's draft who looked like can't miss superstars but that simply isn't the case. Sure, some from this year's draft could very well end up being better than Monahan when it's all said and done, but you're really just speculating at this point so go with the guy who is likely to contribute sonner rather than later.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Stud

I think the general rule for me is to go with the known factor versus the possible unknown

Monahan is going to get a ton of ice time for a Flames team desperate for any production he can provide. Not sure you can say that about the pick (yet)
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    I think the general rule for me is to go with the known factor versus the possible unknown

Monahan is going to get a ton of ice time for a Flames team desperate for any production he can provide. Not sure you can say that about the pick (yet)
    This is exactly in line with my thinking.

This draft doesn't really have that many NHL ready players, at least physically ready. It's not chock full of superstars and I'm not really comfortable saying anyone outside Reinhart/Ekblad will be in the NHL next year. I suspect almost everyone will spend at least another year in their respective leagues.

If you could get Reinhart, I'd think long and hard about taking him over Monahan. I'm of the opinion he has special hockey sense and he'll be a player. But if your competing next year, I'd probably just stick with Monahan.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson