Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where does Hiller end up?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Where does Hiller end up?

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    And who is Anaheim, the contender, starting in the playoffs this year? It isn't Hiller.

EDIT: and by the way, Andersen has much better numbers than Hiller this year and has played enough to expect him to have the capability of a number one. I think one of the reasons Anaheim is not starting Hiller (in addition to the fact that Hiller is just aweful now) now is that they want to see what they've got in Andersen. If he plays well in these playoffs, it's good-bye Hiller, for sure.
    It's been shown many times in the past that it is much easier for a 1B guy like Andersen to perform at a high level with an experienced 1A guy like Hiller to ease the load and handle a lot of the pressure. Once that 1A guy is gone, and there it's now all up to a relatively inexperienced 1B guy to take the reigns, the added pressure and workload makes it a lot harder to perform consistently at a high level. I think that's likely one of the reason's Anaheim has held onto Hiller this long instead of trading him and riding the kids. I haven't heard anything about Hiller being unhappy with his current situation and do not think he would garner big bucks/term on the FA market, so him re-signing in Anaheim is still a very likely scenario. My point was Hiller leaving town is far from being a foregone conclusion.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Monster

Here's my take:

If Hiller retakes the Ana net and they go far, then he could stay.

If not, then:
    Washington
    Edmonton
    Carolina
    Calgary
    Minnesota
    Winnipeg
    Pittsburgh
    Long Island
    Vancouver
    St Louis if Miller walks

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    Here's my take:

If Hiller retakes the Ana net and they go far, then he could stay.

If not, then:
    Washington
    Edmonton
    Carolina
    Calgary
    Minnesota
    Winnipeg
    Pittsburgh
    Long Island
    Vancouver
    St Louis if Miller walks
    I doubt Edmonton will be that close to the top of the list. They seem quite happy with Scrivens and Fasth and both are signed next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    It's been shown many times in the past that it is much easier for a 1B guy like Andersen to perform at a high level with an experienced 1A guy like Hiller to ease the load and handle a lot of the pressure. Once that 1A guy is gone, and there it's now all up to a relatively inexperienced 1B guy to take the reigns, the added pressure and workload makes it a lot harder to perform consistently at a high level. I think that's likely one of the reason's Anaheim has held onto Hiller this long instead of trading him and riding the kids. I haven't heard anything about Hiller being unhappy with his current situation and do not think he would garner big bucks/term on the FA market, so him re-signing in Anaheim is still a very likely scenario. My point was Hiller leaving town is far from being a foregone conclusion.
    Unlikely IMO. As has already been posted in this thread, there are a lot of teams that could use an upgrade and Hiller fits the bill. Only way he stays in Anaheim is if he doesn't get the long-term deal (4+ years) he'll be looking for (unlikely IMO) and Anaheim still wants him, which is not clear at this point.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I agree with Shiva Blaster young goalies need steady veteran goalies to ease the workload and pressure. If they get #1 goalie duties with just other young backups they crack. It also kills them developing going forward. So not having veteran hurts young goalies. IMO
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmkidd View Post
    I agree with Shiva Blaster young goalies need steady veteran goalies to ease the workload and pressure. If they get #1 goalie duties with just other young backups they crack. It also kills them developing going forward. So not having veteran hurts young goalies. IMO
    That explains why Anaheim would look to resign Hiller, but nobody arguing that Hiller stays in Anaheim has provided even a marginally viable reason for why Hiller would want to stay, given how this season has gone and the number of potential destinations in free agency.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    That explains why Anaheim would look to resign Hiller, but nobody arguing that Hiller stays in Anaheim has provided even a marginally viable reason for why Hiller would want to stay, given how this season has gone and the number of potential destinations in free agency.
    One very good reason would be winning. The vast majority of the potential destinations listed are not even playoff teams. Anaheim has a legit chance to bring home a cup in the near future. Also, there are a lot worse places to play professional hockey than beautiful California...maybe he loves the area and lifestyle down there, that has to account for something. Winning + sun + a few million bucks would be plenty enough reason for me to stay. Not all goalies are egotistical maniacs that absolutely need to be the unquestioned #1 alpha dog to be happy.......there are plenty that would accept a 1A/1B platoon situation to stay in a city they love and to have a chance to get their name on the cup. I haven't heard anything from any reliable source indicating that Hiller is unhappy and wants a change.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    By mid-season next year, Gibson is gonna be Anaheim true #1.
    I see this often, and it makes me laugh.....It's been 3 games he has played....3!

I hope he does succeed, because I own him..... But Anderson has posted top 10 goalie stats, and won 80% of his games this year. How is that so summarily dismissed?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Master

I'm not saying that it is impossible, but I doubt the plan for ANA would be to roll with a two rookie goalie tandem. Its way to risky for a team that is at the top of the league. I think their plan would be to sign a veteran goalie. That goalie may or may not be Hiller, but I cannot see how they can make the business decision to go with Gibson/Andersen. Risk > benefit.
    Last edited by Atomic Wedgy; April 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM. Reason: duh...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I'm not saying that it is impossible, but I doubt the plan for ANA would be to roll with a two rookie goalie tandem. Its way to risky for a team that is at the top of the league. I think they're plan would be to sign a veteran goalie. That goalie may or may not be Hiller, but I cannot see how they can make the business decision to go with Gibson/Andersen. Risk > benefit.
    They are not going with Andersen and Gibson since Gibson will be playing in the AHL. They will sign someone to back up Andersen. Elliot? Greiss?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

The Great One

No one has any idea what's going to happen with Hiller, including Hiller and Anaheim. So much will depend on the playoffs. If Andersen stumbles, and Hiller takes over and leads the team on a deep playoff run, I could see him re-sign with Anaheim. I could also see Miller signing in Anaheim if St. Louis is eliminated in the first round. Then one might argue that Hiller would be the top free agent goalie on the market, and there are a lot of good teams in need of a goalie, including St. Louis, Minnesota, and the Islanders. I could also see Buffalo, Edmonton, and Winnipeg in the mix, along with others.

It is really way too early for anyone to know what will happen with Hiller.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I'm not saying that it is impossible, but I doubt the plan for ANA would be to roll with a two rookie goalie tandem. Its way to risky for a team that is at the top of the league. I think their plan would be to sign a veteran goalie. That goalie may or may not be Hiller, but I cannot see how they can make the business decision to go with Gibson/Andersen. Risk > benefit.
    Brodeur?

Just joking.....if he HAS to leave NJ though it sure would be nice to have him on a competing team even if he isn't the one playing. No a bad place to retire either

Anyways, back on topic. I really think Hiller will be out of town next season and have a sneaking suspicion he ends up in the Peg...no evidence for this it is just a feeling. I do realize that relocating from sunny Cali to Winnipeg doesn't exactly appeal to most but this is my prediction.
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw20 View Post
    Brodeur?

Just joking.....if he HAS to leave NJ though it sure would be nice to have him on a competing team even if he isn't the one playing. No a bad place to retire either

Anyways, back on topic. I really think Hiller will be out of town next season and have a sneaking suspicion he ends up in the Peg...no evidence for this it is just a feeling. I do realize that relocating from sunny Cali to Winnipeg doesn't exactly appeal to most but this is my prediction.
    If I was a free agent and looking at where I could start, I'd be looking at the defenses in front of me: Winnipeg, Washington, NYI? Pretty easy call to play behind Enstrom, Trouba, Bogosian, Bfyuglien vs whatever cobbled together D NYI has. Washington is better on paper than they are in games, they allow alot of scoring chances. I'd definitely head to Winnipeg.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Hiller in 100% gone and Regarding Gibson / Anderson a 1a 1b situation is a real possibility.......I just found out the other day talking to a good buddy that one of his friends was just signed as a backup goalie for the Ducks farm team in Norfolk...which creates a real log jam there.

My first thought was that he would be backing up Bobkov and Gibson would be moved to the NHL next season. Bobkov was just loaned the ducks Utah ECHL affiliate to make room for Gibson and the new signing however I'd expect Bobkov to come back to the AHL next season, unless the Ducks have lost faith in him, meaning Gibson would go up.

Anyway, we will see how it plays out...you need a Phd to figure out the ducks goaltending situation.

Dobber Sports Titan

I would say Hiller gone, and a cheap replacement for him would be signed. Like Chad Johnson in Boston? Maybe Reimer? Toronto seems to only trade with Cali teams anyways. For a bit of money they keep Gibson starting in the AHL, Anderson starting in the NHL, and have a suitable, experienced back up to help things out if Anderson goes out of control. Tonnes of teams need goaltending this offseason, so this summer will be interesting. Off the top of my head these are the goalies most likely looking for a home:
    · Miller
    · Elliot
    · Hiller
    · Pavelec – trade/bought out
    · Reimer
    · Ward - trade/bought out
    · Fleury - trade/bought out
    · Neurvith (?)
    · Any Minny ones
    · Lindback - trade/bought out
    · Johnson
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll