Thread: My Playoff Draft

Administrator

Default My Playoff Draft

For those of you who might be interested, I did my points-only playoff draft last night. We had nine of us picking 12 players each. No goalies.

I picked second and grabbed Krejci after Crosby went first. Easily could have taken Getzlaf there also. Kind of wish I would have. Boston, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Anaheim, Chicago and St. Louis were the teams that everyone loaded up on.

I still managed to get a good chunk of the St. Louis contingent with Steen, Oshie, Shattenkirk and Tarasenko.

I got the Rangers corner all to myself with the exception of Zuccarello and Brad Richards. So that gave me Nash, St. Louis, Stepan, Brassard and McDonagh.

I rounded things out with Bonino and Fowler.

The only Lightning guys to get picked were Stamkos (third), Callahan and Palat.

Most of the Red Wings' best got picked but not until extremely late.

One guy got the whole Kings corner all to himself. Probably an aberration exclusive to this group but it's worth mentioning.

Another guy cornered the Avs market.

The only Stars to go were Seguin and Benn.

The Wild saw Parise, Koivu, Pominville and Moulson all picked.

Johansen was the only Jacket selected.

What trends have you noticed at the draft table?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: My Playoff Draft

2nd pick... is probably the worst pick in a skater-only playoff draft.
    Tough luck. Ballsy pick going with Krejci - but probably will pan out to be a good choice.
    I won't knock it.

Dobber Sports Giant

I just picked my players for the Dobber Playoff Pool, and I guess I'll share my selections:

Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, M.Richards, Carter, B.Richards, Jokinen, Shaw, Neal, Hossa, Kunitz, Lucic, Williams, Loui Eriksson, D.Brown, Marchand, Toffoli, Bennett // Letang, Subban, Niskanen, Krug, Doughty, Martin // Rask, MAF, Lehtonen

I guess I'm banking on PIT/BOS advancing to the East Final and LAK/CHI advancing to the West final. If that goes according to plan, I could have a solid chance at this thing. Otherwise, I'm toast. This certainly has the potential to go poorly for me.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    2nd pick... is probably the worst pick in a skater-only playoff draft.
    Tough luck. Ballsy pick going with Krejci - but probably will pan out to be a good choice.
    I won't knock it.
    Yeah, in retrospect Getzlaf was the way to go. The rest of the Bruins big guns went before it came back around and I didn't want to reach on guys like Chara or sleepers like Soderberg. I think all of the Bruins went within the first six rounds. I could've gone the Malkin route and as it turns out I could have had Neal, Letang and Kunitz pretty cheap (2nd, 3rd, 8th round respectively) but decided against going Penguins once I took Krejci. Nothing but regrets!

No, I look at the Krejci pick as kind of a throwaway. I need a Rangers-Blues final. I've attached my fate to that.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I just picked my players for the Dobber Playoff Pool, and I guess I'll share my selections:

Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, M.Richards, Carter, B.Richards, Jokinen, Shaw, Neal, Hossa, Kunitz, Lucic, Williams, Loui Eriksson, D.Brown, Marchand, Toffoli, Bennett // Letang, Subban, Niskanen, Krug, Doughty, Martin // Rask, MAF, Lehtonen

I guess I'm banking on PIT/BOS advancing to the East Final and LAK/CHI advancing to the West final. If that goes according to plan, I could have a solid chance at this thing. Otherwise, I'm toast. This certainly has the potential to go poorly for me.
    I think I went Chicago, Detroit and Montreal players for the most part. Looking to go against the grain in the box style.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I think I went Chicago, Detroit and Montreal players for the most part. Looking to go against the grain in the box style.
    I'm not really sure of many people who are predicting LAK/CHI in the West final, but that's just where my gut is pointing.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'm not really sure of many people who are predicting LAK/CHI in the West final, but that's just where my gut is pointing.
    Well it happened last year!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yeah, in retrospect Getzlaf was the way to go. The rest of the Bruins big guns went before it came back around and I didn't want to reach on guys like Chara or sleepers like Soderberg. I think all of the Bruins went within the first six rounds. I could've gone the Malkin route and as it turns out I could have had Neal, Letang and Kunitz pretty cheap (2nd, 3rd, 8th round respectively) but decided against going Penguins once I took Krejci. Nothing but regrets!

No, I look at the Krejci pick as kind of a throwaway. I need a Rangers-Blues final. I've attached my fate to that.
    That to me, is the whole problem around playoff drafts and pools (of the non-box variety) unless there is a max limit of players you can select from each team. That tends to even things out a bit, otherwise, every year I see pools where the flourishing / favorite teams get picked bone dry in the first few rounds, leaving scrap heap for the rest. I prefer box pools OR pick your top point getters (with a salary cap) type pool for the playoffs.

That said, drafts are always fun and exciting!

For me, personally, I am going with BOS-PIT (EAST) with BOS winning (and I hate myself for saying so), and CHI-ANA (WEST) with ANA winning the West.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    That to me, is the whole problem around playoff drafts and pools (of the non-box variety) unless there is a max limit of players you can select from each team. That tends to even things out a bit, otherwise, every year I see pools where the flourishing / favorite teams get picked bone dry in the first few rounds, leaving scrap heap for the rest. I prefer box pools OR pick your top point getters (with a salary cap) type pool for the playoffs.

That said, drafts are always fun and exciting!

For me, personally, I am going with BOS-PIT (EAST) with BOS winning (and I hate myself for saying so), and CHI-ANA (WEST) with ANA winning the West.
    I've got a bunch of different pools going. Did the Dobber freebie box pool. Did the draft above with my friends from school. Teamed up with a friend from work to enter the Saskatchewan pool where you pick like 32 skaters anyone you want. And my last pool is a team wins pool with three of my friends from home.

I've got Anaheim, St. Louis and Philadelphia with one pick left. Probably going to be either Tampa Bay or Minnesota.

I like to have a bunch of different formats for playoffs so I can sit back and enjoy the show.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I've got my playoff draft this afternoon - will update this thread tonight.

Haven't had time to do the research yet, but just looking at the brackets it appears that BOS/PIT are the safest plays. The West is a coin flip - I'll probably go with CHI/LA if BOS/PIT get cannibalized too early (likely the case).

Value pick - NYR.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just wrapped up my draft, started a new thread so as to not hijack yours.

Generally CHI/BOS/PIT went first (in that order). Surprisingly other than Krejci, most of the BOS forwards were taken in rounds 2-3. The best goalies were all taken in the first round, along with the elite PIT & CHI forwards.

Next tier was ANA, SJ and LA.

Scattered ownership: STL, COL, PHI.

Late rounds: NYR, DAL, MTL.

Other than the top players, nobody touched DET, TB, MIN, CBJ.