Thread: Palat vs 2014 crop

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Palat vs 2014 crop

I play in a SIM league that uses the previous years stats of players.
    I will be drafting anywhere from 2-4 in our draft. My question is, am I crazy to be thinking about grabbing Palat over the likes of Ekblad, Bennett, Drasaitl or Reinhart?
    Palat just finished a .73ppg and should be considered a 4D rating(out of 5) which is also important. It also looks like the year wont be a fluke.

I'll have no chance to land this guy with my second round pick as I see him going around 7th worst case scenario.

Thanks for any opinions.
    14 team keeper Sim league
    40 player 100 year cap,
    C: Giroux, Barzal, Getzlaf, Koivu
    LW: Schenn, Labanc, Neal, Mikeyev, Benn
    RW: Voracek, Kucherov, Wheeler, Garland, Burakovsky
    D: Keith, Weber, Suter, Edler, E. Johnson, Stralman, Cernak
    G: Raanta, Korpisalo, Miller,

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Palat vs 2014 crop

I obviously don't understand SIM leagues, but if it uses the previous year's stats, then don't you already know Palat will score 59 NHL points and those other players will score 0?

---
    And sorry for the completely unhelpful response - i really have no idea what you're talking about, and could have just not responded, but i'm actually curious to hear the answer to my question above.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Stud

Without fully comprehending the league, I would say: you are not crazy for valuing him as highly. Not too sure what a healthy Beau Bennet looks like though, especially with a healthy Pens squad. But Palat is just as good.

Doesn't look like it is a crazy comparison.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't know much about SIM leagues, but I think the potential of the new draftees and how long they might take to put up the same stats Palat has in his first year, I would definitely value Palat over the 2014 field. I've watched Palat play a lot of games (15+) and he is legit and will hopefully improve as he matures. He did quite fine without St. Louis, which many people thought was the catalyst for his point production.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Pro

In a sim league I would assume the better a player is in real life, the better he is to your team? Never been in a sim league but I can tell you, Palat is the real deal. Consistently one of TB's best forwards all season and a big reason why the team didn't really skip a beat when MSL left town.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

-Only reason I mentioned the SIM league was for the D rating which makes players who play defence a little more valuable. Toews is a 5D rating and usually a PPG. So he would be more valuable than say, Joe Thornton who is a PPG but is usually a low D rating like a 2.
    -I also mentioned the SIM part of it because its a year behind the NHL. So the stats from the year that just finished(2013-14) will be used for the making of the disc we will use come October when our season starts.

Palat is a nice .73PPG as mentioned in my opening topic, but question is, 2-3 years down the road the top 3 scorers of this draft could be sitting at 65+ point seasons(with more to come) and Palat could be on the third line or in the AHL. I agree Palat is looking like a terrific player in the making, but it's not like we have seen it for years from him.
    14 team keeper Sim league
    40 player 100 year cap,
    C: Giroux, Barzal, Getzlaf, Koivu
    LW: Schenn, Labanc, Neal, Mikeyev, Benn
    RW: Voracek, Kucherov, Wheeler, Garland, Burakovsky
    D: Keith, Weber, Suter, Edler, E. Johnson, Stralman, Cernak
    G: Raanta, Korpisalo, Miller,

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Without fully comprehending the league, I would say: you are not crazy for valuing him as highly. Not too sure what a healthy Beau Bennet looks like though, especially with a healthy Pens squad. But Palat is just as good.

Doesn't look like it is a crazy comparison.
    He means Sam Bennett, not Beau.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I would value Bennett and Reinhart over Palat, but only those two. Maybe Draisatl but unlikely.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    He means Sam Bennett, not Beau.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I would value Bennett and Reinhart over Palat, but only those two. Maybe Draisatl but unlikely.
    Ah well that makes sense!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Pro

Are you trying to pick the best player for now and next season or the guy who will be the best player 3-4 years from now? Big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Are you trying to pick the best player for now and next season or the guy who will be the best player 3-4 years from now? Big difference...
    Yeah all depends on your goals, not entirely sure about how the league works either.
    Wouldnt you already know the winner of the league at the start of the year if all points have already been earned????
    Not sure if I am out to lunch on this but Team 1 has Player A,C,D,H,J,M,N = 500 pts and Team 2 has Player C,D,F,I,K,L,O = 650 pts?

Maybe someone can explain how a league using previous points even works lol
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray