Thread: Two Teams, 5 Keepers Each, Many Tough Calls

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Two Teams, 5 Keepers Each, Many Tough Calls

Both teams are in my sig.

First team is a league I've been committed to for years. I've got lots of names I could keep and I've got 3 I know for sure:
    1) Malkin 2) P.Kane 3) Lundqvist
    The others are a toss up. If I had to pick today my gut tells me to go with Neal and MacKinnon as 4 & 5. However, Bernier is a solid asset as goaltenders are at a premium in this league with some GMs stashing as many as THREE for their keepers in a keep 5. You read that correctly. Then there's St.Louis whom I gave up a 1st for when he was still in TBay. Tough times. I've already had feelers put out for MacKinnon but nothing I'd move him for.

Second team is from a league that just finished its first year. We're expanding to 12 teams for the 2014/15 season. We were going to keep 6 but due to the expansion we're keeping 5 and re-drafting our 6th after the expansion teams have picked their 6 keepers. We're also adding Blocked Shots as a category. I have so many names on this team my head is spinning. I have a GM in desperate need of a goalie and seems to be willing to part with a lot but it's a matter of selling the right guy. If I had to choose 5 today it'd look like this:
    1) Malkin 2) Perry 3) Kessel 4) Lundqvist 5) Miller (assuming he re-signs) and I'd sell Crawford to said desperate GM while trying to sell off other assets if at all possible. Buff being a huge asset in this league due to Hits, Pacioretty being big on goals and Steen being one of the best surprises of the year.

A big but fun mess that I'd love to get some outside perspective on.
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Daily:2C,2LW,2RW,2F,4D,2G
    Skate:G,A,TP+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG
    G:W,GAA,SV,SV%,SO
    Keepers Bolded
    C: Kadri, Trochek, E.Linholdm(RW), W.Karlsson
    LW: Ovechkin, Arvidsson(RW), Marchsessault(C), Keller(C,RW)
    RW: Seguin, Zuccarello, K.Hayes(C),
    D: Karlsson, Hamilton, Krug, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Holtby, Talbot, Lehner
    IR: Burakovsky
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H
    Skate:G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,HIT,BLK
    C: Scheifele, Kuznetsov,Pavelski(RW)
    LW: Forsberg,W.Karlsson(C),Connor,JT Miller(C,LW)
    RW: P.Kane, Tarasenko,Stone,Bailey
    D: Byfgulien,Subban,Chabot,Ellis,Gudas
    G: Holtby,Varlamov,Markstrom
    IR: Darling,Fabbri

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Two Teams, 5 Keepers Each, Many Tough Calls

First team:

MacKinnon would definitely be one of my remaining 2 keepers. For the 5th spot, to me the choice is between between Neal, Vanek (depending on where he signs - MIN will be stifling) and Hedman (IMO, an intriguing option as a probable elite D finally coming into his own). Personally, based on who he plays with, I would go with Neal.

Second team:

The first 4 are easy (Malkin, Perry, Lundy, Kessel). For the 5th, some interesting choices. Buff appears to be the best bet especially if he can stay a D in your league, with his Hits. There is no guarantee that Miller resigns with STL. I do not expect Steen to match what I think is a career best season and an outlier.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

First Team: Neal for sure even though hes a suspension/injury risk, he still went close to a point per game. The next one is harder. I have seen and been screwed by entirely too many sophmore slumps so I dont bother anymore, but that just me. MacKinnon is not someone I would keep. Vanek is probably going to kill it next year, but then again I bet Hedman will too and you have no D being kept yet. With him leading the league in SHP thats something to maybe sway it a bit. BUT...if youre saying Bernier might be your best bet in a draft for goalies, maybe go for him. Goalie stats account for 38% of your stats, and keeping 2 goalies would be 40% of your keepers. All depends on what your draft looks like. If its going to be D heavy, skip hedman. If you can draft better than Bernier (or want to ride Lundy as your only decent goalie), skip him. If you dont want to focus on D at all and you do have Lundy, then definitely Vanek.

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    Second team:

The first 4 are easy (Malkin, Perry, Lundy, Kessel). For the 5th, some interesting choices. Buff appears to be the best bet especially if he can stay a D in your league, with his Hits. There is no guarantee that Miller resigns with STL. I do not expect Steen to match what I think is a career best season and an outlier.
    As for this, I agree completely.
    H2H Cats Keep 1 (alternate keep 1/keep 3) League (12 team)
    2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 Util, 2 G, 4 BN, 2 IR+
    G A (+/-) PIM PPP SHP SoG HIT BLK / W GAA SV SHO
    F: Point, Suzuki, Nylander, B. Tkachuk, Rust, Kessel, Bunting, Barbashev, Rantanen, Barkov, Bertuzzi
    D: Ekblad, Trouba, Barrie, Severson
    G: Otter, Gibson
    IR+:Pacioretty, McAvoy

Dobber Sports Guru

First team is pretty much who you listed.

Second team I would change though. I'd rather keep Crawford over Miller, because you know Crawford will pile up the Ws, and he's actually undervalued. Crawford was ninth in the league in GAA, 20th-ish in save percentage and 17th in saves. But that's if you are going to keep a second goalie.

If not, I'd go Malkin, Kessel, Perry, Lundy and MaxPac.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Novice

First team: I'd keep MacKinnon & Neal. MacKinnon is a gem, and will continue to blossom. He's a long time keeper for sure.

Second Team: I second dillingerdis with completly agreeing with suvojitde.

12 GM KEEP 16
    F: E.Staal, Iginla, Nyquist, Kucherov, Palat, Gaudreau, Huberdeau, Scheifele, E. Lindholm, Dubinsky, Kuznetsov, Etem, Lazar
    D: Doughty, Weber, J.Carlson, Gudas, Ceci,
    G: Smith, Quick, Raanta, Lack

11 GM DYNASTY
    F: Tavares, Getzlaf, Spezza, Turris, Tlusty, J.Stall, Thornton, Sedin, Stastny, RNH, Pominville, Kadri, Hodgson, Barkov, Berglund, Gagner, S. Griffith, Beleskey
    D: Doughty, Muzzin, Sekera, Brodie, Franson, Gelinas, Ellis, D.Boyle
    G: Crawford, Lehtonen, Anderson, Scrivens, Fasth
    FARM: G.Reinhart, N.Ritchie, Morrow, Fabbri, Tierney, Prokhorkin, Stolarz, Pickard, Svedberg

Dobber Sports Initiate

First league:
    D's are not valued very high. About 5 are kept per year over the entire league. As far as goalies, I'd probably have to draft scraps if I didn't keep Bernier but MacKinnon seems too good to pass up.

Second league:
    There seems to be a consensus that Buff should be kept over a second goalie. He's great but again goalies are at a premium in this league as well. I wouldn't be able to draft a very good second goalie due to the expansion of the league. Lots of decisions.

Thanks for the input so far!
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Keepers Bolded
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H

Dobber Sports Newbie

First off i would say ur 4 for sure keepers are malkin kane lundy neal. Your fifth spot i can see you doing a few things. What are some of the offers for Mackinnon? If you can get a first round pick back to replace the let down of your St Louis deal then ill do that and keep either berner or vanek. Also if its true that ppl r keeping 3 goalies in your league then you might want to consider keeping bernier if your able to trade mackinnon. Vanek should sign with a good team this offseason so you could wait and see where he ends up. If all else fail keep mackinnon as he should continue to get better.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've been offered a lower 1st round pick for MacKinnon and a 5th. I've also gotten confirmation that two GMs are keeping 3 goalies each. I've had a couple GMs mention they're interested in Bernier but no serious offers.

There's lots of off season left but there were 5 trades just today so GMs are getting their ducks in a row quite quickly.

I feel Bernier is a solid goalie to keep me around the middle of the pack but keeping MacKinnon could payoff in the future.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Wow 5 trades in 1 day thats crazy. I guess people want to their 5 keepers now. So with 2 GMs keeping 3 goalies how many other GMs keeping 2? Is there any keeping one or 0 goalies because if there is they will be your biggest competition come draft time as they will go hard for their first/second goalie. If so whats their pick situation? Do they have a first? Where will you be picking in the second round? Bernier is a solid number 2 goalie and will help back up Lundy as your number 1. The leafs were playing great hockey till the collapsed but hopefully next year they won't collapse. Mackinnon has a lot of potential and really could payoff in the future but do you want a guy the could payoff in the future or a guy that can help your team next year. If you want a guy that can help you out next year then Bernier is your guy just because of the goalie situation in your league. I think a first for MacKinnon straight up is good and if the GM really wants him tell him you shouldn't have to give a pick back.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'll suggest this for team 1 having found myself in a similar position a couple of years ago. This is based on your league allowing FAP's and hopefully lots of them.

You have a tier one goalie in Lundquist and that's a condition for making this strategy work. Your second Goalie, Bernier, is not tier 1. I'm not a huge fan of his and would suggest he is border line tier 2, arguably tier 3. Bottom line, he is expendable when your other keeper options include Neal and MacK. You need to keep both, DO NOT move MacK, you will be sorry!

If all GM's are keeping three goalies you have a problem. But that is likely not the case, most will keep 2, some 3 maybe and others only 1. Let's average this out, and say 2 keeper goalies for a total of 24. There are still starters available and certainly a good number of back ups for the draft. Then, there are the call ups, and we are seeing more and more of that. The strategy is this, and it means working your butt off, but I've done it and it can work. Draft a remaining Goalie at some point, you can usually wait a few rounds as most GM's have already solidified their goaltending. Then, as the season begins, you wait for the inevitable poor starts and injuries and go to work. You plug in backups and call up's into your lineup, you wait for a frustrated owner to drop a decent goalie because of a poor start or an injury, this happens, it's almost guaranteed. While Lundy provides the foundation, you wait to add the final piece you need at some point with a FAP or even a trade. If your prepared to work this hard for a couple of months you stand a very good chance of getting the break you need to stabilize your tendies.

Hope this helps.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Titan

Have you thought of moving Lunquist for an upgraded player, and keeping Bernier? Or move Neal and Lunquist for a stud? or Lunquist + Neal for solid Goalie + Player?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

The newest offer is a high first round pick for MacKinnon straight up. This GM came in second last so the worst his pick can do is fall one spot to 3rd overall.

2014olympicgold I'm unsure who would be an upgrade on Lundy besides the likes of Rask. Lundy is a top 5 goalie in my eyes. I've considered moving Neal but there aren't too many people biting. The one GM that would be interested is in a huge rebuild without too many pieces left to offer. I've been in contact with the owner of Marc-Andre Fleury but Neal isn't his cup of tea. He'd want Mac+picks if he were to deal him. He's one of the legendary GMs keeping 3 goalies.

So much off season left but the GM wanting Mac is really wanting to get a deal done as soon as possible. Not that I'm in a rush.
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Keepers Bolded
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H