Thread: Seven damn years

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Seven damn years

I joined a dynasty league in the summer of 2007 as an expansion team along with another guy, making it a 12 team league. I ended up with a really crappy team after the expansion draft, but after a lot of nifty FA pickups, trades and a few drafts I didn't completely mess up, I finally won the league last night. Fourth time in the final for me.

I thought I would win it last year or the year before that. I had a really dominant team those seasons. Last year I lost on tiebreakers in the final. This year I didn't make a single trade, I think. I made a few FA pickups, but the team was the same pretty much all year. I ended up first in the European division, fourth overall, but that division win gave me a playoff first round bye. All year long my goalies were miserable. I managed to keep the guys who were on good rolls in the minors, guys like Lack and Andersen. I rolled mainly with Holtby, Halak and Pavelec. Now in the playoffs I used Andersen last week and Stalock this week and subbed Pavelec with Bryzgalov and Lack in a patchwork fashion. I ended this week with a line of 6 W, 11 GA, 1.27 GAA, .955 SV% and 3 shutties. Two goalie starts per day. Lack had my only real loss and Holtby gave me a shutout loss yesterday.

My offense was rolling pretty well and I got good peripherals with hits, blocks and faceoffs. A shorthanded point from Schwartz got me that category.

Now I don't really know what to do. Should I keep tinkering with the team or start a rebuild? I'll sleep on it this summer. Here's the championship team, Halmstad Black Flags.

Main roster:

Backstrom, Kopitar, Little, Stepan, Perreault, Cammalleri, Nash, Parise, Schwartz, Doan, Kessel, Garbutt, Martin, Nyquist, Pominville, Beauchemin, Dillon, Letang, Schultz, Seabrook, Suter, Bryzgalov, Halak, Holtby, Stalock

Farm team:

Johnson, Pirri, Petan, Clowe, Brown, Nieto, Silfverberg, Mantha, Chiasson, Lupul, Jaskin, Rattie, Ritchie, Hamilton, Rielly, Garrison, Greene, Green, Pulock, Neuvirth, Andersen, Pavelec, Lack, Eriksson, Pickard

IR: Weiss

One thing I'll try to do is consolidate my goaltending, since it'll be up in the air all summer.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you guys for all of the advice you've given me over the years when I've built this team. Some moves turned out bad, but most were good. Thank you!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Seven damn years

Congrats, Dakks. Awesome job.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Pro

Grattis! Bra jobb ;-)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Congrats dakkster!
    The fantasy hockey gods are clearly pleased with you these days... so whatever you've been doin', keep it up!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Congrats man! Well deserved!
    12 team H2H dynasty, most categories under the sun, incl. hits/blocks. Main team, farm

WHA Champion 2016/17 2015/16 2014/15 2012/13

The Great One

rebuild? hell no.....how good does it feel to win? It feels even better to win again.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Congrats! 12 team league is pretty damn hard to win.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Prodigy

To lose in the final on a tiebreaker? That's gotta piss you off! Kudos to you on your resiliency and patience and vision to not react to that loss by making trades in the off season and being emotional towards your team. Looks like it paid as you got over the hump with a league championship! Congrats.

Dobber Sports Monster

Congrats Dakkster!!

Dobber Sports Guru

Good job man. It's even more impressive looking at your team and not seeing a stud like Crosby, Rask, Stamkos, Karlsson, etc. I guess you don't need the big guns to win it, eh?

I would tinker in some way if it improves the team. Even if you didn't make a trade this year, you still tinkered through the waiver wire.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid