Thread: Draft Watch: Goldobin vs. Ho-Sang vs. Fabbri

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Draft Watch: Goldobin vs. Ho-Sang vs. Fabbri

With the NHL Entry Draft approaching and the NHL regular season ending, cuing the end of most fantasy hockey keeper leagues, it's time to focus on the next wave of NHL prospects.

While Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart, Leon Draisaitl, Aaron Ekblad and William Nylander top this year's draft crop, fantasy owners are going to earn their keep making the tougher draft selections.

As a result, keep an eye out for the "Draft Watch" threads as I present two or three comparable draft prospects against each other for some friendly debate.

First up, three undersized skilled forwards with varying intangibles are our focus

Nikolay Goldobin vs. Joshua Ho-Sang vs. Robby Fabbri

What do they all have in common?

Goldobin, Ho-Sang and Fabbri are all skilled undersized with above average puck skills. Each are capable of breaking a game open.

Best assets?

Goldobin is the most gifted playmaker of the trio as he possesses elite level vision and passing skills. Similar to Datsyukian plays, Goldobin is capable of raising fans out of their seats and "did-you-just-see-that?" moments.

Ho-Sang is the most gifted skater of the trio with outstanding, and arguably unmatched, mobility in this draft class. He slashes in and out of traffic and can dazzle crowds with his end to end rushes.

Fabbri is the most complete prospect of the three and shows a willingness to battle in all three zones. His ability to step up in big games (see recent playoff run) is an attribute that will not go unnoticed.

Concerns?

The knock against Goldobin has been his compete level however, I do feel it's overstated. He's actually very competitive but because he operates in a calculated approach (surveying the ice for options and planning his next attack), similar to Joe Thornton, Goldobin appears not fully committed. He's ramped up his competitiveness level this season.

The knock against Ho-Sang is his questionable decision making, sporadic selective vision and inability to utilize his teammates. He's the most dynamic of the trio but he makes waaaaaaaaaaaay too many turnovers and it's leads to many questioning his hockey sense.

Robby Fabbri gets criticized or questioned about his size and how that will translate to the next level. He's extremely competitive and doesn't shy away from traffic, he actually engages, but the wear and tear on his slender short body is a legitimate concern.

Who would I select?

I am a big fan of both Nikolay Goldobin, the player with the highest upside IMO, and Robby Fabbri, the most competitive (a skill you can't teach). In the end, I would likely give Goldobin the slight edge but it's very very close. Fortunately for Fabbri, his Guelph Storm remain in the OHL Playoffs so he can showcase himself a little longer.

Who would you select?

Let's hear your thoughts!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Draft Watch: Goldobin vs. Ho-Sang vs. Fabbri

Thanks for the information.

If my draft was today and I was considering one of these three, I too would pick Goldobin. I wont lie and say I know a great deal about these three but Goldobin seems to be getting the biggest push from a lot of writers. These writers, like you, are my life lines when it comes to getting the information I need to make an educated decision.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd probably go Ho-Sang, Goldobin and then Fabbri.

I think Ho-Sang has the most upside and he can really work some magic (not that the other two can't), I also think he's got the most risk of the three and could just as easily be nothing as he could be a 1st/2nd liner in the NHL.

Goldobin is actually rated higher then both of these guys on my draft board, but for fantasy purposes I don't think he has the ultimate upside of say Ho-Sang. Still a very skilled offensive player but I just think he's a tick below Ho-Sang but a safer bet to reach his upside.

In Fabbri I don't see as much offensive potential as Goldobin or Ho-Sang but I do think he's the safest bet to carve out an NHL career, if the scoring doesn't work out. To me he is the safest of the three, I believe he will be an NHLer in some capacity whereas the other two I think are more offence or nothing.

It all depends on what you're looking for and what kind of risk you're willing to take, for me the upside that I see offensively is enough to roll the dice on Ho-Sang or Goldobin over Fabbri.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Guru

I would likely draft Ho-Sang. A good buddy of mine coached against him when he was playing with the Toronto Marlboros and said he is one of the most skilled players he has seen at that level.

Having said that, he definitely carries a bit of risk but he could be the steal of the draft if he works out. Outside of top 5 picks I almost always go for the home-run swing.

The Great One

Great thread.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like what ho sang has to say in the interviews I've read. But I feel like goldobin has done more with less this year. Fabbri I don't know enough about to factor into the three of them.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Giant

Based on everything I've read, my rankings would be pretty much the same:

Goldobin
    Fabbri
    Ho-Sang

These guys are all on my radar as potential steals from this draft class. Should mostly be available in the 10-20 range IMO.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Fabbri is a step below the other guys in fantasy.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Fabbri is a step below the other guys in fantasy.
    Agreed. Everything I have read about Fabbri makes me think he'll be used as a defensive forward who contributes offensive, and not just as an offensive weapon who gets every opportunity to score.

Goldobin, Ho-Sang, Fabbri

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

While watching Fabri light the lamp night in and night out this season...I must say...Ho-Sang caught my eye the few times I watched him play and he scared the hell outta me as a Storm Fan.

Can't say much about Goldobin but I'd rank HO-Sang a tough above Fabri but a compliment to them both.

- - - Updated - - -

While watching Fabri light the lamp night in and night out this season...I must say...Ho-Sang caught my eye the few times I watched him play and he scared the hell outta me as a Storm Fan.

Can't say much about Goldobin but I'd rank HO-Sang a tough above Fabri but a compliment to them both.