Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buff next year.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Buff next year.

In CBSsports league should Buff keep his D eligibility? If not that really hurts his value in my league. I may have to keep someone else. Which would really suck. Or trade Buff and someone else formanother d keeper.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Expert

This is a huge concern for me as our pool gives an extra point for D goals. His value at D is 20-25 points higher than his value to me as a F. I traded Letang to contend this year and wound up winning [on the last day], but if BUF loses his D eligibility then I'm in for a rebuild next season. Poolexpert changed Burns' eligibility late in September last year to F only. It will be interesting to see if playing the point on the PP keeps BUF as a D option in my pool.

If he's unhappy he's a candidate for a trade so either way I think the best bet is to hold onto him for the next season before jettisoning him.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Pro

Buff playing the point on the PP should not have any effect on his position eligibility. Over the years there have been quite a few forwards playing the point on the PP that did not receive D eligibility....Brad Richards and Jason Pomiville are two good examples..

I do have to admit that the Buff-Wheeler-Jokinen line was terrific at the end of the season!
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rad64 View Post
    Buff playing the point on the PP should not have any effect on his position eligibility. Over the years there have been quite a few forwards playing the point on the PP that did not receive D eligibility....Brad Richards and Jason Pomiville are two good examples..
    Those guys weren't defensemen to begin with, though, and they don't play D in 4-on-4 situations, including overtime (as far as I know).

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by pmkidd View Post
    In CBSsports league should Buff keep his D eligibility? If not that really hurts his value in my league. I may have to keep someone else. Which would really suck. Or trade Buff and someone else formanother d keeper.
    I am also in a CBS league and if Buff stays in Winnipeg he will be designated a FWD ala Burns. No doubt about it, IMO. The only way Buff retains his D status in a CBS league is if he is traded. This, of course is the f'ng dilemma as I bet he was on speed dial to his agent after Maurice was extended. Who wants a malcontent and Buff will assuredly walk as a UFA so why not trade him when his value is high? I'll puke if he gets dealt to Philly or wherever and I shipped a top 3 fantasy D.

Or, they may give it a try up front for a year and ship him if it doesn't work out - thereby screwing us owners as he will be designated a FWD. Tightrope

I am totally torn here. I have an offer of Ehrhoff, Voynov, Bennett for Buff and my 2 worst and am really considering.

Any advice appreciated

EDIT: may live to regret it, but I pulled the trigger on the above deal. Ehrhoff/Voyo decent return at D and I need to get younger at fwd, so hopefully it was the right move.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

Loco, its a good return. I made the same call as you and am happy with having made it.

IF Buf is traded then we can regret the move. If he isn't and gets the wing only label then its a steal for us
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Star

one of the other (smarter) managers in my league dumped buff for a reasonably high draft pick and better keepers, i dumped brent burns early in the season for the same reason. you just dont know for sure if theyll be D eligible next year so why be the one to risk it?
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    one of the other (smarter) managers in my league dumped buff for a reasonably high draft pick and better keepers, i dumped brent burns early in the season for the same reason. you just dont know for sure if theyll be D eligible next year so why be the one to risk it?
    I had both of them and choose to dump Burns and take the risk on Buff keeping his defense status. I just figured Buff had a better chance at sticking at defense than Burns did.

But I'm one of the few guys who will be luck enough to not have to worry too much about it. I play in a league format that rewards his multi-cat skills to the point where he was the 25th best player in our league, so even if he loses his D status, I'll have a stud on RW.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Star

On this end, it was a pure points only league with D goals counting triple, so Buff is either mega stud D or waiver wire fwd, so I had to pull the trigger. In CBS anyway, it seemed like it was the announcement of Burns at Fwd that changed his designation rather than amount of time played. I think that is how it will go for Buff.

If not, there are worse D than Ehrhoff and Voyo, but I will still be kicking myself big time, as Buff is only surpassed by Karlsson and maybe Weber in our format.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think worries over buff are a little unnecessary. I get concern about Burns, but Buff should be fine for at least 2014-2015.