Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buff next year.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Buff next year.

Just read via Score Mobile that the organization announced he will be starting at forward the beginning of next season.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Buff next year.

Sell! Before your league provider makes the switch!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Stud

I sold Buf in one of my sim leagues as soon as our season ended. The position flexibility is critical in leveraging his "value". Sell while value is high, make sure everyone in the league knows he is available

unless you are like me and know the other owner is a HUGE jets fan

I got Mike Fischer and Matt Read plus the 5th overall in 2014

for Buf & Frolik and a 4th round pick
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Banned

Hopefully Yahoo keeps him as a D. I kept him over Weber going into next year.

Dobber Sports Star

Did you guys see his interview last night? He seemed really dejected to me. "They know I would much rather play Defense, but... whatever, if they want me to play forward, I guess that's what I will have to do..." He did not seem happy. I wonder how that affects his performance.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

I dunno, but looking at Burns, I think he might keep his D status for a bit regardless?
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

With him playing D on the PP and in 4 on 4 situations, I'd be surprised if he lost his dual eligibility.

Rylant, I don't see it affecting his performance. He's always preferred playing D and he's always been clear about that, but under Maurice his effort level was fantastic. He looked better than he ever has in terms of his hustle and drive, and I expect the same next season, including a further commitment to his fitness level (something that Maurice is stressing for everyone on the team).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Hopefully Yahoo keeps him as a D. I kept him over Weber going into next year.
    Can't see how you kept him over Weber, unless it was related to salary cap. The talk in Wpg is that he will be playing forward especially if Maurice comes back and it looks positive in that direction. The other thing helping Buff is that Maurice plays him on D in OT so maybe he will keep his D status as well.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

I can see a trade coming...

Administrator

This is the best move for the Jets. Not so much for poolies though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Maurice certainly had that team firing on all cylinders once he established his system.

The Jets are probably a better, more competitive team with Buf up front but if he loses his D eligibility his value takes a huge hit

Put it this way, IF IF IF Buf were to lose his D eligibility how many people would keep him as a winger only and what is his fantasy value now that he lines up as a forward only ? I would say the value nosedives.

If he keeps his D rating, then all is fine with the world, damn the torpedoes full speed ahead

Thats why I dealt him. I like the return he garnered for my squad and now don't have to worry about the Jets, next season's coach or if Buf is dealt somewhere
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Can't see how you kept him over Weber, unless it was related to salary cap. The talk in Wpg is that he will be playing forward especially if Maurice comes back and it looks positive in that direction. The other thing helping Buff is that Maurice plays him on D in OT so maybe he will keep his D status as well.
    This was like 4 weeks ago before Weber was on a big tear. Byfuglien had higher value in my league, and if he plays forward and keeps D that would be great. I can re-draft Weber most likely.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    I dunno Buff is pretty valuable. Simple points only, I would probably go with Buff. Add more cats, and Buff is still really valuable.

Just look at Burns, who still has his D eligibility. Wouldn't be too worried.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1. I think Buff will be F/D in most leagues next year. He played the first half-season at D. He played the second half-season at F, still playing PP at D.
    It will be super interesting to see how leagues deal with this.

2. I, personally, don't think Buff is any more valuable as a "forward slotted in a D spot".
    To me... the guy is going to put up SAME numbers at either position. He's a 55pt forward... a 55pt defenseman.
    If Winnipeg had elite forwards to pair him with - perhaps he would see the sort of value spike that Brent Burns gets from riding shotgun with Thornton.

But Buff (RW) isn't going to share forward time with Wheeler (RW).
    And WPG doesn't really have an elite centerman.

IMO, Buff is Buff as statistics go.
    He's a keeper... as long as he has D-eligibility.

The big hitch is "BLOCKS" leagues.
    In most leagues, you just can't afford to slot a player in a D-slot that isn't blocking shots.
    If you just look at Buff's "Game Log" from any site... you'll see a MASSIVE decline in BLK as soon as he went to forward.

In my ROTO league (w/BLK), I actually had to slot Buff as a RW... because I fell off the pace in BLK... and eventually finished 2nd... where I never thought I'd be in jeopardy of losing my 1st.

Food for Buff... uh, I mean... Food for Thought.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    1. I think Buff will be F/D in most leagues next year. He played the first half-season at D. He played the second half-season at F, still playing PP at D.
    It will be super interesting to see how leagues deal with this.

2. I, personally, don't think Buff is any more valuable as a "forward slotted in a D spot".
    To me... the guy is going to put up SAME numbers at either position. He's a 55pt forward... a 55pt defenseman.
    If Winnipeg had elite forwards to pair him with - perhaps he would see the sort of value spike that Brent Burns gets from riding shotgun with Thornton.

But Buff (RW) isn't going to share forward time with Wheeler (RW).
    And WPG doesn't really have an elite centerman.

IMO, Buff is Buff as statistics go.
    He's a keeper... as long as he has D-eligibility.

The big hitch is "BLOCKS" leagues.
    In most leagues, you just can't afford to slot a player in a D-slot that isn't blocking shots.
    If you just look at Buff's "Game Log" from any site... you'll see a MASSIVE decline in BLK as soon as he went to forward.

In my ROTO league (w/BLK), I actually had to slot Buff as a RW... because I fell off the pace in BLK... and eventually finished 2nd... where I never thought I'd be in jeopardy of losing my 1st.
    Great point about the blocked shots. That trend won't change with Buff up front.

I also agree that Buff will likely retain about the same offensive production as a winger that he has had as a defenseman, but I think there is potential for a small spike. I wouldn't bank on it, but the potential is there. He actually did play with Wheeler a lot this year, and they looked amazing together, so that could very well continue into next season. Add in the fact that Wheeler's playmaking ability took a nice leap forward this season, and Maurice's pressure for the entire team improve their fitness level (hello even trimmer Buff?), we could see another career season from Byfuglien next season.

His +/- is likely to improve over this season's poor totals, as well. He can do a lot less damage defensively as a forward.