Thread: I know this is jumping the gun a bit...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default I know this is jumping the gun a bit...

...but should I be shopping Ovie around? He's great fantasy wise but all this talk of him bolting makes me want to try to move him. I haven't watched him play at all this season but judging from his +/- and the team performance it doesn't seem like a good situation. Though on the flip side, I almost feel like any manager that has been keeping up on the news/rumors would probably be wary as well so I may not get his worth back.

Anyone else trying to move him or just hoping he sticks around?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: I know this is jumping the gun a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by epik87 View Post
    ...but should I be shopping Ovie around? He's great fantasy wise but all this talk of him bolting makes me want to try to move him. I haven't watched him play at all this season but judging from his +/- and the team performance it doesn't seem like a good situation. Though on the flip side, I almost feel like any manager that has been keeping up on the news/rumors would probably be wary as well so I may not get his worth back.

There is absolutely zero evidence to even suggest this. Pierre Lebrun from ESPN has nothing to do but stir up this senseless, completely fabricated rumour. End if story, because there is no story.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-all-kovalchuk

"Ovechkin has not said anything that would suggest he's even thinking about it. But we asked KHL president Alexander Medvedev for his view on this possibility"

This is amateur journalism at its best. Asking the KHL if he would like to have OV... great story Pierre

Trading OV would be completely and utterly foolish.

Dobber Sports Giant

I would be listening, but it's definitely not the time to be shopping him for the sake of shopping him. If you're getting a return that you feel is fair then by all means move him, but don't do anything silly here. He's had an awful year from a defensive standpoint, but I wouldn't be planning on a -30 OV from here on out. That's just not gonna happen.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This type of talk or rumor seems to come out every year and yet every year in October Ovechkin is wearing a Caps jersey. Come this October it will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by epik87 View Post

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In a league with those cats you do NOT trade OV. ever. period.

Dobber Sports Monster

Ovechkin will remain in the NHL and you need to continue to own him.

Thanks guys - good points all around. Since someone actually good left for the KHL I guess it is easy to stir the pot on Ovie. Alright I'm not going to open anything up right now. I wouldn't want to move him anyways considering his down years have still been solid fantasy wise. I guess until Ovie starts producing on the same level as Kovy did in NJ probably shouldn't worry right now.

For what it's worth, someone in our hockey pool is apparently friends with one of ovechkin's ex-teammates, and after talking to the ex-teammate one day, she immediately dumped ovechkin in a terrible hockey pool trade. We all got mad and wished we still had veto rules, but it was too late. She's probably wrong, but she believes he is for sure leaving to the KHL and i guess she thought it was gonna happen right away, which is why she made such a bad trade. Don't be like her. But... her story and Lebrun's story are two little wisps of smoke, and as they say, where there's smoke there's fire.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkys_Choice View Post
    For what it's worth, someone in our hockey pool is apparently friends with one of ovechkin's ex-teammates, and after talking to the ex-teammate one day, she immediately dumped ovechkin in a terrible hockey pool trade. We all got mad and wished we still had veto rules, but it was too late. She's probably wrong, but she believes he is for sure leaving to the KHL and i guess she thought it was gonna happen right away, which is why she made such a bad trade. Don't be like her. But... her story and Lebrun's story are two little wisps of smoke, and as they say, where there's smoke there's fire.
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Both "stories" are completely unsubstantiated and laughable.

I am now dumber for having read what you just wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by beteau View Post
    I am now dumber for having read what you just wrote.
    Lol. Sorry about that
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Stud

The question is whether you are seeking Quality or Quantity

If in fact it is Qualilty that matters then I don't think you will find a much better player anywhere
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ovi hits more positive categories than negative ones. He destroys goals, shots, ppg, ppp, and hits. So he helps you out on 4 categories, and is only a nuisance in one (+/-). People have opinions on players based on real life hockey results, like how Quick is a top 5 fantasy goalie when in actuality he’s above average in the regular season. And how Fleury is terrible, when he’s actually very good fantasy wise. Or how Kunitz is terrible, when he is actually a great fantasy player who feeds off someone else. Backstrom is exactly the same feeding off Ovi. Ovi has great fantasy value because they don’t count hustle as a category.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll