Thread: Professional Hockey Writers Association list

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Professional Hockey Writers Association list

Here's a list of every member of the PHWA (I believe all these guys vote for some of the awards at the end of the season).

http://www.thephwa.com/page/show/110...tional-chapter

Phoenix's chapter has just two members.

And if look under Boston, you will see HockeyBuzz now has at least one voting member.

And Dobber is under the international media list, right next to Down Goes Brown.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Professional Hockey Writers Association list

That's actually pretty cool thanks newfcollins.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Kinda funny how Bob Mckenzie has only been a member of this list since 2011. The guy should have joined this like 15 years ago! More!
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

I...am your father.

Probably wasn't considered a writer maybe?

They just started letting online writers (i.e. bloggers) recently. And I'm the first fantasy hockey entrant #breakingnewground
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

They just started letting online writers (i.e. bloggers) recently. And I'm the first fantasy hockey entrant #breakingnewground
    Congrats! That's a big deal. In one of my law school classes, we looked at the booming business of fantasy sports, and postulated that it will continue to grow.

Too bad, I failed to mention this fact though! Ha.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Star

Just a question, because I am not sure about the nuances of the voting process, and I find this stuff incredibly interesting. DD, Are you allowed to fully discuss who you intend on voting for? Or is this something that you are required to be silent about until after the winners are announced? Or is this something you aren't allowed to discuss even after the winners are announced?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Just a question, because I am not sure about the nuances of the voting process, and I find this stuff incredibly interesting. DD, Are you allowed to fully discuss who you intend on voting for? Or is this something that you are required to be silent about until after the winners are announced? Or is this something you aren't allowed to discuss even after the winners are announced?

Rylant
    Friedman posted all his picks this week in the 30 thoughts section, so it must be okay.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

I...am your father.

The NHL expressed concern over letting the cat out of the bag today and asked that we hold off on further disclosure until after they are announced
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

Well done Dobber.

That's strange for McKenzie, since he has written many articles.. But I don't really know. As with most professional associations, membership is conditional on many things, including someone's desire to actually be a member.. He may not have wanted to be.. Could also be related to the online thing as I don't think Mckenzie has contributed a lot of print work.. But the internet has been around for a while... certainly since before 2011 lol.

Anywho congrats Dobber and I love seeing this list. Get Farber and Morrison out of there though (lifetime members ugh...)... They are awful.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Guru

Didn't McKenzie get his start at the Hockey News, and eventually became editor there? You think that would have been enough.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Didn't McKenzie get his start at the Hockey News, and eventually became editor there? You think that would have been enough.
    Didn't know that... If that's the case, he may not have wanted to be part of the voting. Some people like the distance...
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin