Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Smyth set to retire

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Ryan Smyth set to retire

Yeah, I think his number should be raised to the rafters. Iconic post-dynasty Oiler. Represented heart and soul and ultimately fell short of winning a Cup, but never quit trying.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

This final game of Smyth is getting to me. Wow.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Smyth always rubbed me the wrong way. I take nothing away from him as far as his game goes -- he played hard, almost always put up points -- but when he left Edmonton, it left a bad taste in my mouth. The whole crying garbage, when he could have just signed a contract and avoided it all, seemed ridiculous. Correct me if I'm missing something, because I never paid really close attention to it, but it just seemed like when he got traded to the Islanders he went "Oh woe is me, I wish I could stay in Edmonton, but they didn't want to give me the money I wanted... I love this city so much, but not at the risk of making half a mil less than I could somewhere else" Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Smyth always rubbed me the wrong way. I take nothing away from him as far as his game goes -- he played hard, almost always put up points -- but when he left Edmonton, it left a bad taste in my mouth. The whole crying garbage, when he could have just signed a contract and avoided it all, seemed ridiculous. Correct me if I'm missing something, because I never paid really close attention to it, but it just seemed like when he got traded to the Islanders he went "Oh woe is me, I wish I could stay in Edmonton, but they didn't want to give me the money I wanted... I love this city so much, but not at the risk of making half a mil less than I could somewhere else" Am I wrong? Am I missing something?
    There are several sides to that story, but based on my understanding of it all Smyth was genuinely shocked that he got traded and figured things would get worked out between him and the team.

But anyways, I'm loving the fact that they are sticking him out there for 2 mins on the powerplay and despite being thoroughly outplayed are up 2-0 after 1 period.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Smyth just had a 5:35 shift of powerplay time....hahaha. This game is a total farce, but so much fun.

Dobber Sports Monster

I think Smyth will match his career TOI all in tonights game alone!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Gotta say, classy of the Canucks to come out after the game to shake his hand.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Monster

Fantastic final moments.

https://vine.co/v/MJbepzWhbIp

Dobber Sports Veteran

I definitely teared up.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Monster

and awesome stuff from the Canucks to go out there like that. Class move.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I definitely teared up.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    and awesome stuff from the Canucks to go out there like that. Class move.
    Definitely. I'm the first to hate on the Canucks, but that was pure class coming out like that. Meant a lot to Smytty that they did that, great job.

The Great One

Awesome for Smyth.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Definitely. I'm the first to hate on the Canucks, but that was pure class coming out like that. Meant a lot to Smytty that they did that, great job.
    Yeah, Smyth mentioned the "Sundins" during one of his post game interviews!! Very classy stuff by the Sedins and Canucks. During the puck drop, the camera panned to the Canucks bench and I saw one of the Sedins clearly enjoying banging his stick against the boards. I just thought it was genuine.

...and yeah, I teared up as well.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

What a great ending for such a classy player.. I've never seen a player cry so much on and off the ice as I did throughout Smytty's career.. But thats true emotion, you can't fault the guy for that.. But what a leader and what a huge heart.. I'm happy I was able to watch that game tonight, and its one I will definitely remember..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It was really moving to watch him skate laps around the rink yesterday. Hats off to him!
    GO WINGS!