Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Smyth set to retire

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Ryan Smyth set to retire

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448955

Not 100% official but Bob McKenzie is saying it will happen so....

Personally I thought Smyth would have stuck it out for 1 more year but maybe he and MacT had a heart to heart already about next year. That or this season was so miserable that Smyttys love for the game was finally breaking down.

Administrator

Default Re: Ryan Smyth set to retire

Sorry to see him go, even if it's definitely time. One of the best Oilers, sure to have his number retired.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm glad to hear he's hanging them up. Definitely an Oilers beauty but I would have hated to see him force the Oilers hand one way or the other if he had wanted to come back for another year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

How long 'til he's President of Hockey Operations?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Sorry to see him go, even if it's definitely time. One of the best Oilers, sure to have his number retired.
    Unfortunately I don't think he will. Oilers generally only retire numbers of players that made it into the hall of fame. Don't think Smyth will get that honor
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm guessing he'll never pass that powerplay goal record for the Oilers. He's been tied for first for a few months now, it feels like.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh... Ryan Smyth.
    I will always remember ye for three reasons:

1. Captain Canada.
    fall08-652637.jpg

2. The mullet.
    Even when everybody else, including Jaromir Jagr, stopped rockin' the mullet... not you bud, you never stopped (well, maybe for a little tiny bit there)!
    ryan-smyth.png

3. The cry.
    Sorry, had to do it.
    94AE7CD1843E14F7A164E78ABDC0D5.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

That's what I was thinking. I know we're joking about it, but sheesh guys retire and right away get a fresh set of keys to the Front Office almost immediately.

As for Smyth he was one of the few Oilers I really liked. Solid career.

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    How long 'til he's President of Hockey Operations?

I...am your father.

Good memories of Smyth. Drafted him at 18. I was still very new to fantasy hockey, but was thrilled when he made the team. Then in his second year, I believe, he surged onto my pro team
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Really unfortunate the team could never get him a Cup. Was never the most skilled, but used his unique skillset to carve out a brilliant career. Will likely be one of those guys who gets forgotten even though he made some awfully big contributions to really rotten hockey teams.

If I had known he was going to retire for sure I would have picked up tickets for the game on Saturday and driven from out of town to watch him one last time.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Gotta get him that PP goal in the next 2 games!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm really on the fence about his number retirement myself. Thus far the Oilers standard has been that you need to be in the HHOF to have your number retired (exception of Hamilton who was retired before Gretzky and co). Anderson was not added to the list rafters until he was added to the Hall. Kevin Lowe has not been retired by the organization (jokes aside he was a great player). I think its safe to say Smyth is not making the Hall of Fame.

For me Smyth is the greatest Oiler of his generation. In a lot of organizations he'd get his number retired, including most organizations that are of similar age to the Oilers. The problem for him is that he is simply not on the same level as the guys who are retired (Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson). He was never captain of the team, never won a Stanley Cup (went to game 7) and never won a major award or 1st/2nd Team All-Star. Other than his longevity the majority of his on-ice success has been at the international level (World Jr. Gold, World Championship Gold, Olympic Gold, Spengler Cup Gold).

All-time for the Oilers he's: 2nd in Games Played, 5th in Goals, and 6th in points (behind the 5 guys retired). IF the Oilers decide to loosen their stance on requiring a player be in the Hall of Fame and they want a guy in the rafters that represents the generation after the dynasty years it should be Smyth. Whether or not they should I`m not sure about at this point.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

Solid career, glad he retired an Oiler, don't think his stats warrant number being retired.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Administrator

Five years from now when they are looking at another last place finish they'll retire Smyth's jersey to try and generate the good will.

I'm only half-kidding.

That said, I didn't even think about the Oilers' ridiculous standards.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I'm really on the fence about his number retirement myself. Thus far the Oilers standard has been that you need to be in the HHOF to have your number retired (exception of Hamilton who was retired before Gretzky and co). Anderson was not added to the list rafters until he was added to the Hall. Kevin Lowe has not been retired by the organization (jokes aside he was a great player). I think its safe to say Smyth is not making the Hall of Fame.

For me Smyth is the greatest Oiler of his generation. In a lot of organizations he'd get his number retired, including most organizations that are of similar age to the Oilers. The problem for him is that he is simply not on the same level as the guys who are retired (Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson). He was never captain of the team, never won a Stanley Cup (went to game 7) and never won a major award or 1st/2nd Team All-Star. Other than his longevity the majority of his on-ice success has been at the international level (World Jr. Gold, World Championship Gold, Olympic Gold, Spengler Cup Gold).

All-time for the Oilers he's: 2nd in Games Played, 5th in Goals, and 6th in points (behind the 5 guys retired). IF the Oilers decide to loosen their stance on requiring a player be in the Hall of Fame and they want a guy in the rafters that represents the generation after the dynasty years it should be Smyth. Whether or not they should I`m not sure about at this point.
    Great summary, as a diehard Oil fan, Smitty is great. Hall of famer - nope. Jersey to be retired..........I can see it.