• Jacob Trouba

11 39.29%
  • Justin Schultz

17 60.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Points only - Schultz or Trouba

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Points only - Schultz or Trouba

Huge Trouba fan...definately has the ability to hit 50 pts at some point in his career. Points only makes this an interesting question. My first take was Schultz, but I thought I'd take a quick peek at the numbers.

Trouba 29 points in 65 games, 121 shots.
    .45 points per game
    1.86 shots per game
    22.26 minutes per game

Schultz - 33 points in 74 games, 109 shots
    .46 points per game
    1.47 shots per game
    23.20 minutes per game

More power play time and an extra minute per game has Schultz basically equal to Trouba in PPG. If Trouba could get an additional minute per game on the PP.....Trouba's numbers would go up....and more shots should equate to more points down the road.

Close one.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Veteran

Shultz without a second thought in points-only.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Something is going to have to give in Winnipeg on the backend.. I still don't see Enstrom as a Paul Maurice player.. I have a feeling changes are going to be made and in due time Trouba will receive that extra PP time..

But I do see Trouba being that multi tooled dman, so that could take away some points forsure.. Schultz will never be used as a shutdoen dman, so this is a little closer then I originally thought..

Dobber Sports Wizard

some league information would help out imo

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

As an owner, Schultz's performance this past season was frustrating - to say the least. That said (as others have mentioned) Schultz is at a level pro experience-wise that Trouba has yet to hit. Additionally Schultz is all offense, whereas Trouba is multi-cat material. Schultz will have all the PP opportunity, Trouba's will be more limited.

My concern with Schultz is whether he'll ever hit his production potential. I think in order for his points to increase in reliability two things have to occur. First, Schultz needs to capitalize on his PP time - something he failed to do this past year. This should be easily rectified and I'm not too concerned about this being an issue long term

Second, the team's overall power play opportunities need to increase exponentially. They ranked 16th in team PP time and 19th in shots(370). Not the worst, but if ya look at the Ducks with only four more mins of PP time yet they sit at 11th overall in shots (413). That's 43 more shots in only four mins.

So while I would take Schultz over Trouba in a points only. I'm looking at the Oilers as a team needing to not only increase their PP opportunity (closer to top ten), they really need to increase their shot totals. If they can get up closer to the top ten in both cats, then you'll see a huge spike in Schultz's production.

Bad news is, that's easier said then done.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    some league information would help out imo
    Well, points-only. 12 teams, keep 12. 12 forwards count, 5 D, 2 goalies.

I'm already keeping Karlsson and OEL as two of my D, and have a fairly solid chunk of forward keepers (Stamkos, Tavares, MSL, Kopitar, Vanek, Kunitz, Wheeler, Ryan, as my sure keepers).

So I'm willing to use my 12th keeper spot on either Schultz/Trouba...or Palat (but that's a story for another day).

Overall: I'm leaning towards Palat, but have had Schultz since he signed in EDM and would love to be the man holding him when/if Edmonton figures it all out.

Between Schultz and Trouba, I'm certainly leaning towards Schultz...with the main concerns being reservations about EDM's culture and WPG's depth on D.

Dobber Sports Wizard

unless there is a bonus for defensemen points in that setup i am not sure i am keeping 3 defensemen unless they are Karlsson, Subban and another guaranteed 50 point player

i am not keeping either Schultz or Trouba as a 3rd defenseman in that kind of setup personally

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Ace

Lucifer: That's fair enough.

My other D option is Kronwall, who's pretty much a 45-50pt dman. For some reason, I'm not overly keen on keeping him, although it makes sense to do that. I've always liked keeping a hopeful-stud as my final keeper. But I'm considering, more and more, holding on to Kronwall as the final 12th keeper.

I've just found that, in our 5-D league, finding decent production every year from 2,3 drafted Dmen isn't a sure thing.
    IE - after losing Karlsson in the lockout, I had a hell of a time finding decent D production. Hence, why I'm leaning towards keeping a third D-man.

Dobber Sports Wizard

well if you are keeping an extra defenseman because you are worried about an immediate replacement then you keep Kronwall

but in the short term Trouba and Schultz are likely no better of options than half a dozen to a dozen other guys you can draftt

now they could shock and move into the top 10 in scoring next season like Hedman did, but without a crystal ball you will never know which if either will and i am willing to be while many took a chance on Hedman hoping for a break out very few expected it to be what it was

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Ace

yeah, and thats what I found this past season. Schultz's production (keeper) was no better than Trouba (waiver pickup), and there were always a few depth dmen around.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    well if you are keeping an extra defenseman because you are worried about an immediate replacement then you keep Kronwall

but in the short term Trouba and Schultz are likely no better of options than half a dozen to a dozen other guys you can draftt

now they could shock and move into the top 10 in scoring next season like Hedman did, but without a crystal ball you will never know which if either will and i am willing to be while many took a chance on Hedman hoping for a break out very few expected it to be what it was
    Great point. And Hedman has far more D to his game than Schultz, earning the former more TOI in general. Schultz is a top four pairing borne more out of necessity than any top-four D skill set...imo. If the Oilers somehow grab a better two-way or more complete dman that will really effect Schultz's need for more PP TOI in order to increase his fantasy value.

unless he's capable of developing his d-game...dunno.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

While Trouba is still a question mark, I'm a believer. I can't give you any stats, all I can give you is my gut feeling with watching him a lot this year. I think this kid is going to breakout next year and be a stud, but I' still easily take Headman right now.

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    While Trouba is still a question mark, I'm a believer. I can't give you any stats, all I can give you is my gut feeling with watching him a lot this year. I think this kid is going to breakout next year and be a stud, but I' still easily take Headman right now.
    The OP was interested in Schultz vs Trouba. I was attempting to expand on lucifer's Hedman analogy. I didn't mean to go off track.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ah, the abbey ale's added up for me. I actually have Trouba and Schultz, and while my league is a points league ... The points aren't all points only.

Edmonton (outside of Hall) just really scares me anymore. If they (the team) breaks out then in a points only Schultz will be a stud, but I'm not taking that chance... Give me Trouba. Some guys just force there way through (giroux), I think Trouba is one.

Ah, the abbey ale's added up for me.
    Mmmm...great beer.

Give me Trouba. Some guys just force there way through (giroux), I think Trouba is one.
    Good point. I drafted Giroux outta the gate in a dynasty league and sat on him. Love how he's developed as a player/leader too. My top three in the league behind Datsyuk and Duncan Keith. But that's a different thread.

I respect your take on Trouba, and he is def on my radar for next year for the league in my sig. But I still can't give up on Schultz yet in pts-only.

Yet.

EDIT: but more to the point. I think lucifer has the correct perspective for our immediate discussion.
    @SmittysRant