Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Book Spoilers!)

any episode with emilia clarke is a good episode.

Dobber Sports Star

Another amazing episode. Tyrion snaps. Glaring at Cercei and snarling "Watching Joffrey die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores ever could". That scene cemented it; put another Emmy in Dinklage's trophy case. Maybe my favourite GoT episode to date.

Rylant

PS I really like Prince Oberyn. What a great character.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This season has just been build build build without a ton of payoff so far, but god dammit Tyrion's meltdown tonight was amazing. I really like the Jamie/Tyrion dynamic, it's nice to see a little trust in the Lannister unit.

I also really liked Davos' little monologue in the beginning referring to Stannis. This show just has such a solid cast.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Expert

oh man, I can't wait to watch it when I get home!
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Administrator

It was really nice to see the show getting back to the slow process of things versus some of the warp speed plot advancement and battles that had been carrying on through the first half of the season. Not that the first half sucked. It was fantastic but this show is just so much better when it takes it's time. And what's funny is that there actually was a battle scene!

How about old Mycroft Holmes (for those of you who watch Sherlock) as the banker? Brilliant!

Lots of screen time for the Onion Knight! Sold!

The return Saladhor Saan! Yes!

I'm still not sold on this whole Theon Greyjoy storyline. I mean, they went to great lengths to show us just how painful his torture was so you can totally understand why he is completely and irredeemably broken but I guess I just don't see the point of it all other than to push the boundaries even further and give us one more psychopath to hate. I guess he's going double agent know but I'm going to have a tough time buying that he can put on an act given how broken he is. I'd figure he'd have just killed himself by now.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    It was really nice to see the show getting back to the slow process of things versus some of the warp speed plot advancement and battles that had been carrying on through the first half of the season. Not that the first half sucked. It was fantastic but this show is just so much better when it takes it's time. And what's funny is that there actually was a battle scene!

How about old Mycroft Holmes (for those of you who watch Sherlock) as the banker? Brilliant!

Lots of screen time for the Onion Knight! Sold!

The return Saladhor Saan! Yes!

I'm still not sold on this whole Theon Greyjoy storyline. I mean, they went to great lengths to show us just how painful his torture was so you can totally understand why he is completely and irredeemably broken but I guess I just don't see the point of it all other than to push the boundaries even further and give us one more psychopath to hate. I guess he's going double agent know but I'm going to have a tough time buying that he can put on an act given how broken he is. I'd figure he'd have just killed himself by now.
    I just got to a Reek part in the Dance With Dragons. Since the show is in book 3, it is interesting to see how they are developing his character in relation to the books.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Icon

12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Cool as shit yo!

Dobber Sports Immortal

This Sunday is going to be fantastic. Actually the last three episodes have the potential to be the best three in a string in the entire series.

Viper vs the Mountain!

Dobber Sports Stud

Episode 8 is in the books.... discussing below

Wow. Just wow.

I cannot believe that ending (I've said this many times with this show). Shocked. I did not expect that outcome at all. I was 100% certain that Oberyn was going to win. I am utterly sad and disappointed over that one though probably more than any other death to this point. He was growing on me plus it was way too soon for that to happen. I really am saddened by this death. I know they want to make it fair game for everyone, but I have to question killing him off after just introducing him. He was a great warrior who brought something new, something unexpected to the table. I saw him as a real threat with Dorne backing him.

We get it. Tywin Lannister is a boss. But I feel he's the only feared one and they're afraid to have others rival him. To this point, Tywin always wins. Even when Joffrey died Tywin still won. No one has yet to truly rival him. I really thought Oberyn would be the one.

I was pumped when Oberyn kept repeating that line, "admit you raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children..." awaiting for Gregor to admit it then get killed. It's messed up they made his taunting be the death of him especially when he was on a vengeful path.

Ah. Well earlier today (because I was 100% certain Oberyn would win) I was disappointed that I'd never get to see The Hound square off against The Mountain. I guess that hope still lives.

Damn. And I'm so caught up in the Oberyn death that I haven't even begun to imagine what's going to happen to Tyrion.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Star

Amazing. Perhaps my favourite episode to date. Things I LOVED about this episode:

- Sansa's confession. Hard to believe Sophie Turner hadn't acted before Game of Thrones. Awesome stuff.
    - Daenerys banishing Jorah. To this point, I haven't been sold on Emilia Clarke's acting ability. Iain Glen is a world classed actor. The both nailed it. Great scene.
    - Arya laughing at the Bloody Gate.
    - Nathalie Emmanuel naked. Not a fan of her frizzy hair, but she has one smoking body. Yes please.
    - The ending. Not overdrawn. Similar to how it was done in the book.

Sad to see the end of Prince Oberyn. He was a great new character, and I agree with others above, he was fresh. One thing I love about Martin, he has the balls to kill off important characters that the fans love, because all of his characters are interesting. His writing style isn't anywhere near as technical or as sound as somebody like Tolkein, but his ability to tell character-driven stories is second to none.

Brilliant episode.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

^ Yes but this is something that has already been established in season one. We all get it. He kills off major characters. It's becoming a little bit too frequent though. If he's just doing it to "prove he has balls" then he's doing it all wrong. There has to be reason behind it. The majority of my favorite characters in this show are all evil or can be categorized as the "bad guys", but it's becoming predictable knowing they'll never lose. I thought it was a great episode. I agreed with the Ned Stark and Robb Stark deaths. I just don't agree with this one. Way. Too. Soon.

Is there a reason to keep around someone like Gregor Clegane who has been hyped up to be this "monster" on the battlefield but has been embarrassed by his opponents in every scene he's in? I can't take him serious as a warrior/fighter anymore.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    ^ Yes but this is something that has already been established in season one. We all get it. He kills off major characters. It's becoming a little bit too frequent though. If he's just doing it to "prove he has balls" then he's doing it all wrong. There has to be reason behind it. The majority of my favorite characters in this show are all evil or can be categorized as the "bad guys", but it's becoming predictable knowing they'll never lose. I thought it was a great episode. I agreed with the Ned Stark and Robb Stark deaths. I just don't agree with this one. Way. Too. Soon.

Is there a reason to keep around someone like Gregor Clegane who has been hyped up to be this "monster" on the battlefield but has been embarrassed by his opponents in every scene he's in? I can't take him serious as a warrior/fighter anymore.
    I think it has less to do with having the balls to kill off a major character and more to do with the whole "be careful what you wish for" theme that basically underscores everything in the universe he has created. Bad shit happens, to everyone, especially to those who care about stuff. Anyone who has wants for justice, revenge, etc. has it blow up in their face. I've been saying for the past few weeks that while Oberyn probably had to win the fight to save Tyrion he HAD TO DIE because he was out for revenge. He was so blinded by it that he allowed himself to be killed. All of this was foreshadowed.

Think about one of the big tag lines for this season where Tyrion says, "if you want justice, you've come to the wrong place." Or think about the conversation between Bronn and Tyrion about Bronn not being his champion a second time around because all it takes is one misstep and he's dead. Well, the Viper made that one misstep.

Or how about the fact that Tyrion called for his trial by combat this time around when he had an out already set up by Jamie? But because he allowed his emotions to take over, Tyrion went back to the "trial by combat" well. That couldn't possibly end well for him because this time he didn't really think it through. Plus what kind of lesson is it to just allow that to be someone's ace in the hole all the time?

More over, compare how Bronn and the Viper went about deciding to be champions for Tyrion at their various different points. Both were arrogant to be sure but one wanted simply to be a sell-sword and the other was out for so much more.

Also, you mentioned earlier how Tywin always wins. In some ways that is true. He always has a plan and is very cold and calculating so seemingly he gets everything to go his way but what's the one thing he cares about most? Legacy and the Lannister name.

So far he's seen his wife killed in child birth by an Imp son whom he believes is a complete embarrassment to the Lannister name. His two prized children are both decidedly broken individuals, oh and are an incestuous lot. The only grandchildren he has do not have the name Lannister and while they sit on the throne they'll never carry on the name.

He just about got Jaime to commit to renouncing his King's Guard duties, returning to Casterley Rock and going about finally carrying on the Lannister name but then Tyrion went and pissed on that, which is how we ended up where we did. No one gets what they truly want in this world that Martin has created. Now if you are sick of that, well I can sympathize but if you think that this is just about the bad guys winning too much or enjoyable characters being killed off too much then I don't think you are seeing the big picture - nobody wins.

I've taken to being more like Arya when faced with the news of her aunts death. That could be troubling news but considering how much she has lost already she seems un-fazed. Instead all she sees is what The Hound has lost, which is the bounty he thought he'd receive. At the sight of someone else's loss she laughs because what else would you expect in a world where no one gets what they want?

I would say that I agree with the criticism of the Mountain. I've no clue if he's alive or dead but he's quite easily been the shallowest character on a show full of vastly deep ones. He's essentially no more than a plot device so I suppose it's fitting that he's named after an inanimate object.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Amazing. Perhaps my favourite episode to date. Things I LOVED about this episode:

- Sansa's confession. Hard to believe Sophie Turner hadn't acted before Game of Thrones. Awesome stuff.
    - Daenerys banishing Jorah. To this point, I haven't been sold on Emilia Clarke's acting ability. Iain Glen is a world classed actor. The both nailed it. Great scene.
    - Arya laughing at the Bloody Gate.
    - Nathalie Emmanuel naked. Not a fan of her frizzy hair, but she has one smoking body. Yes please.
    - The ending. Not overdrawn. Similar to how it was done in the book.

Sad to see the end of Prince Oberyn. He was a great new character, and I agree with others above, he was fresh. One thing I love about Martin, he has the balls to kill off important characters that the fans love, because all of his characters are interesting. His writing style isn't anywhere near as technical or as sound as somebody like Tolkein, but his ability to tell character-driven stories is second to none.

Brilliant episode.

Rylant
    Agree with all of this.

Look at Sansa finally learning how to play the game. She's becoming more and more like Cersei by the day.

Arya laughing at the Gate was fantastic. I'm going to miss her buddy comedy with the Hound.

Frizzy haired bird and Grey Worm are going to scissor. Been calling for that ever since their little study session.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post

A little too frequent? Isn't that the whole point of the books and the show? Life doesn't end with a "and they lived happily ever after". People die all the time. I thought we learned early on that we shouldn't have favorites in this story.

I thought it looked like the Mountain was dead beside Oberyn at the end. Then again, I felt sick a good fifteen minutes after the episode ended and I don't really feel like checking twice. Wow.

I really loved Sansa in this episode. "I know what you want" and then that smirk walking down the stairs.

Ramsey continues to be completely psycho. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the north.
    GO WINGS!