Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Compliance Buyouts

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Compliance Buyouts

The season is coming to a close and soon teams will be focusing on their off season plans. Who do you think gets a compliance buyout?

TWO BUYOUTS LEFT: Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Florida, Los Angeles, Nashville, Ottawa, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Winnipeg

ONE BUYOUT LEFT: Detroit, Edmonton, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Washington

NO BUYOUTS LEFT: Chicago, Montreal, Philadelphia, Toronto

A few candidates for buyout include:

Leino in Buffalo
    Pavelec in Winnipeg
    Franzen in Detroit

The first two are pretty easy decisions. I have no real reason behind suggesting Franzen, but I have this feeling Ken Holland will be up to something this summer ( Detroit has been relavitely quiet the past 2 summers). I can see Evander Kane in Motown via trade. in addition to other moves.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Compliance Buyouts

Probably David booth. Martin havlat. Cam ward. One of the many bad contracts in Florida.

I think Evander Kane still has trade value so he's not a amnesty candidate.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Teams also still have regular buyouts, where they count against the cap just like before the lockout.

Franzen isn't getting bought out. He's been good this year and Detroit would not be in the playoff picture if not for him. The guy Detroit writers are talking about as a no-brainer buyout is Jordin Tootoo. Between him getting bought out and the contracts of Cleary, Bertuzzi, Emmerton and Samuelsson expiring, Detroit will be rid of all the chaff at forward. If something happens trade or signing-wise, it'll be at D.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Superstar

If I recall correctly this is the last off-season for compliance buyouts and they have zero cap hit (regular buyouts have a cap hit). Is that correct?

Any chance we see Clarkson bought out? It would cost a ton of cash and be a huge embarrassment but if they want to be rid of him cap hit free this offseason is there only chance for the next 6 years that they can do that.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Teams also still have regular buyouts, where they count against the cap just like before the lockout.

Franzen isn't getting bought out. He's been good this year and Detroit would not be in the playoff picture if not for him. The guy Detroit writers are talking about as a no-brainer buyout is Jordin Tootoo. Between him getting bought out and the contracts of Cleary, Bertuzzi, Emmerton and Samuelsson expiring, Detroit will be rid of all the chaff at forward. If something happens trade or signing-wise, it'll be at D.
    Lots of talk here on Michigan radio that the Mule will be bought out. He might have helped this year, but will he help for another seven?
    Money could be better spent elsewhere. But Holland is very loyal to guys that I often think should go, so who knows....

Booth better get bought out. Stop playing him now so he doesn't get hurt between now and then!
    Would the Leafs bail on Clarkson?
    Brad Richards should be back on the market.

I wonder if Philly is wishing it could buy Vinny Lecavalier out! Could get cut the second time!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Wizard

When is the buyout deadline?

Brad Richards for sure and Clarkson makes sense too LOL, Clarkson...........

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Wings must be wishing they could buy out Weiss...............

Dobber Sports Wizard

LOLOL - just checked capgeek, that Clarkson deal is unbelievable.............wow.

Dobber Sports Stud

Compliance buyouts are for pre-lockout contracts, so no Clarkson or Weiss; those would have to be costly traditional buyouts. Very real possibility of Franzen being a compliance buyout. If they don't buy him out and he retires before 2020 (very likely, he's already 34) there will be a cap recapture penalty that you have to think the Wings will want to avoid, especially with some of their young guys proving that they are ready (or close to it). The last 3 years of his deal he gets paid a total of $4M but his caphit for that period is $12M ($4M x 3). Assuming he were to retire before those final three seasons (at age 38) there would be a pretty significant cap penalty for the Wings, $2.6M for each of those 3 seasons.

Richards, Malone, Havlat and Leino for sure. Maybe Ehrhoff if the Sabres are too afraid to gamble that he won't retire early.

Dobber Sports Master

Fun facts:
    1) A regular buyout of Clarkson gets the Leafs a mere 550k of cap relief next year.

2) If that buyout were to happen this off-season the cumulative cap over the life of the buy-out would be 28.8 mil with 26 mil or so coming in the next 6 years. His remaining contract only has a cumulative cap hit of 31.5 mil in the next 6 years.

3a) The most cap relief the Leafs can hope for is burying him in the minors and getting 925K/yr in cap space.

3b) This is the best part: Clarkson has a no movement clause, so they can't bury him!

The levels of awful on this contract are staggering... sure he may turn things around but there is a lot of terrible to undo.

Edit: They could trade him to a cap floor team along with a dump truck of money and some assets and let them use the buy-out for a fictional cap hit... that could work, I mean, he only has a modified NTC.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Lots of talk here on Michigan radio that the Mule will be bought out. He might have helped this year, but will he help for another seven?
    Money could be better spent elsewhere. But Holland is very loyal to guys that I often think should go, so who knows....

Booth better get bought out. Stop playing him now so he doesn't get hurt between now and then!
    Would the Leafs bail on Clarkson?
    Brad Richards should be back on the market.

I wonder if Philly is wishing it could buy Vinny Lecavalier out! Could get cut the second time!
    Weird that the talk radio guys have talked about it, but not the beat writers or George Malik over at Kukla.

Could it be that Franzen would be bought out using the last compliance buyout and then Tootoo with a regular buyout? Or do they eat his salary one more year? Tootoo is the guy discussed the most on the internet that I've seen.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Compliance buyouts are for pre-lockout contracts, so no Clarkson or Weiss; .
    I know I was missing something. Thanks for clearing that up.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Monster

Remember when this happens. I called it first

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1m

In the span of 24 hours, Johan Franzen has moved to No. 2 on our most popular buyouts list behind David Clarkson.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    The season is coming to a close and soon teams will be focusing on their off season plans. Who do you think gets a compliance buyout?

TWO BUYOUTS LEFT: Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Florida, Los Angeles, Nashville, Ottawa, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Winnipeg

ONE BUYOUT LEFT: Detroit, Edmonton, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Washington

NO BUYOUTS LEFT: Chicago, Montreal, Philadelphia, Toronto

A few candidates for buyout include:

Leino in Buffalo
    Pavelec in Winnipeg
    Franzen in Detroit

The first two are pretty easy decisions. I have no real reason behind suggesting Franzen, but I have this feeling Ken Holland will be up to something this summer ( Detroit has been relavitely quiet the past 2 summers). I can see Evander Kane in Motown via trade. in addition to other moves.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Remember when this happens. I called it first

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 1m

In the span of 24 hours, Johan Franzen has moved to No. 2 ON OUR most popular buyouts list behind David Clarkson.
    I don't know Shake. The future consequences of that deal could very well be ugly but I think whoever put that list together lacks credibility if Clarkson is at #1 just because of all the reasons Loch listed above.

They are both bad contracts and if Franzen was listed with Hossa because of cap-recapture penalties I could see the sense in it. Any Clarkson buyout, as head shakingly terrible as it is, will likely be nothing more than a pipe dream since if you have to pay him and take the hit anyway then he may as well be playing so, like I mentioned earlier I don't see the credibility in that quote.

Feel free to call me out on my cynicism if The Red Wings do put The Mule out to pasture though

LOL, I just looked at the list. Crosby and Ovi sit at 4th and 9th respectively, thats funny
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Remember when Franzen used to score at will during the playoffs? He never seemed to be able to translate that during the regular season.