Thread: Wickenheiser played Olympics with a broken foot

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Wickenheiser played Olympics with a broken foot

The whole Crosby diving thing turning into a girl/toughnessthing got me thinking of this recently:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hayl...pics-1.2594371

It's a secret Hayley Wickenheiser could no longer hide.

The Canadian women's hockey star helped Canada win gold at the Sochi Olympics despite playing with a broken foot.

The 35-year-old native of Shaunavon, Sask., was sporting a walking boot on her left foot at the Hockey Hall of Fame on Tuesday, where she was a guest speaker at the second annual Gatorade High Performance Hockey Summit.

"I've had a broken foot for about a year now so I'm trying to fix it," Wickenheiser said. "I'm wearing this boot so I can avoid having that surgery, hopefully.

"I knew it was broken at the time [of Olympics], we just found out it was a little more serious break than we thought. It was just managing the pain."
    Also...

"My medical team was really good with treatments to keep the swelling down. I just did a lot of things on one leg and tried to minimize the pounding on my foot in order to be able to get through the games. Now I've had the chance to see where the damage is and with a couple of months rest I should be fine. I wasn't able to rest it before."

This isn't the first time Wickenheiser has endured pain. She played in the 2006 Olympics with a broken wrist but was still the tournament's top scorer and MVP.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Wickenheiser played Olympics with a broken foot

You made me cry like a little, baby Fungchen ...
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Wickenheiser played Olympics with a broken foot

Guess she really man'ed it up there

Ok tasteless, but I had to! All jokes aside, man or woman, it amazes me how some athletes are able to perform with serious injuries at such a high level when others are able to sit out a game or 2 for a bruise here and there.

Kudos to toughness!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay