Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who say, "Crosby Is NOT a Diver"...

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: For those who say, "Crosby Is NOT a Diver"...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Relax. It's pretty common vocabulary in sports.
    I'm completely relaxed ... so calling out horrible sexism that's ubiquitous in the world of sports is somehow not relaxed? How about you stop enabling oppression against women? Until then, I won't be "relaxing" at all. Just because something is common doesn't mean it's okay. Slavery was pretty common in the 19th century; mass rape and sex trafficking is pretty common ... should we just throw up our hands because they're so "common" ???

Completely BS response, Ev. Not like I expected you to care about equality or anything.

I don't expect people to agree with me here; it's not like most men are willing to admit their deep biases against women. It's just flat-out completely unacceptable to denigrate women, as a distinct class, by saying stuff like "he hits like a girl," etc. We should be ashamed of ourselves, as men, that we allow BS like this to continue. It's the 21st century, and we're all human beings. It's time to take some responsibility for our BS and make a stand. We may not realize that the words we use have a profound impact on others, but when society continually "lessens" the importance of women, it registers with young women and girls. Would you want your daughter to feel like less of a human being because she has a vagina? I didn't think so ...
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

I am really impressed the linesman still made sure to properly wave off the offside. That didn't phase him at all.

Also, not sure how you can call Crosby a diver for that. Unexpected, likely with a whistle. He skated in from BEHIND the ref. He is aware it was the referee's hand and not a player's. So, what's he trying to do. Dive to get the ref thrown in the box for 2min? C'mon.

Dobber Sports Master

It isn't really sexism.

I've spent a lot of time wandering around playgrounds punching children and I can definitively state that little girls go down harder and cry more. I have the video documentation and it was a randomized double-blind test, I'm that thorough.

That said, I would say the difference between boys and girls, while statistically significant, isn't as vast as we commonly believe.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    It isn't really sexism.

I've spent a lot of time wandering around playgrounds punching children and I can definitively state that little girls go down harder and cry more. I have the video documentation and it was a randomized double-blind test, I'm that thorough.

That said, I would say the difference between boys and girls, while statistically significant, isn't as vast as we commonly believe.
    Of course there are biological differences between men and women, but that doesn't mean men have free reign to denigrate women because of it. Would you appreciate being called a rapist and murderer because you're a man? Because the vast majority of those crimes are committed by men ... If we're playing the "statistically significant" game, then statistically speaking, you're a dangerous murdering rapist.

Anyway, back on topic: Crosby isn't a diver. He's a savvy NHL player ... if you don't want your team's star players to attempt to draw penalties, you're kidding yourself. Everyone in the NHL who wants a PP does this stuff. Singling out Crosby for getting backhanded by a ref is pretty stupid IMO.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'm completely relaxed ... so calling out horrible sexism that's ubiquitous in the world of sports is somehow not relaxed? How about you stop enabling oppression against women? Until then, I won't be "relaxing" at all. Just because something is common doesn't mean it's okay. Slavery was pretty common in the 19th century; mass rape and sex trafficking is pretty common ... should we just throw up our hands because they're so "common" ???

Completely BS response, Ev. Not like I expected you to care about equality or anything.

I don't expect people to agree with me here; it's not like most men are willing to admit their deep biases against women. It's just flat-out completely unacceptable to denigrate women, as a distinct class, by saying stuff like "he hits like a girl," etc. We should be ashamed of ourselves, as men, that we allow BS like this to continue. It's the 21st century, and we're all human beings. It's time to take some responsibility for our BS and make a stand. We may not realize that the words we use have a profound impact on others, but when society continually "lessens" the importance of women, it registers with young women and girls. Would you want your daughter to feel like less of a human being because she has a vagina? I didn't think so ...
    I'm 100% with you on this. Perpetuating sexism and rationalizing it with "that's the way people talk in sports" is just about the laziest argument out there. "Yeah, why would we let slaves be free? Why would we let women vote? Why would we let gays marry? It's always been this way, so relax!" Hyperbole, yes, but you get the point.

Also, in terms of withstanding physical pain, we don't have anything that compares to the pain of giving birth, so equating low pain threshold or whatever with being feminine is just asinine.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

It isn't really sexism.

Uh, so do boys.
    No one says "don't cry like a boy". From being around my little brother as he grew up, the boys often overreacted more than the girls.

And women in professional sports dive way less than guys in Soccer/Basketball/Hockey, from what I've seen.

It's terrible to say "don't throw like a girl" even though the top male athletes throw better than the top women, but it's even worse to say "don't dive like a girl" when the top male athletes dive worse than the top women athletes.

As far as Crosby, ya he dives. So do the vast majority of top players. The rules as currently enforced encourage a certain level of embellishment.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Uh, so do boys.
    No one says "don't cry like a boy". From being around my little brother as he grew up, the boys often overreacted more than the girls.
    Two things:
    1: I said go down harder and cry more, which implicitly states that boys go down and cry too...
    2: How on earth did a post as blatantly idiotic as mine get two responses? It reminds me of the old joke about the fact it is impossible to post a youtube comment so stupid that everyone knows you're joking.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Giant

Two things:
    1: I said go down harder and cry more, which implicitly states that boys go down and cry too...
    2: How on earth did a post as blatantly idiotic as mine get two responses? It reminds me of the old joke about the fact it is impossible to post a youtube comment so stupid that everyone knows you're joking.
    It was pretty obvious you were trolling with your comments, but all the same there was some sincerity to your remarks about girls crying more than young boys. It was tongue in cheek, of course, but you definitely said that, statistically speaking, girls cry more than boys. You tried to redeem it with humor / parody, and even a statement that the biological differences are "overblown," but the point remains: your post was a subtle justification / rationalization for OP's statement, which is not OK.

Dobber Sports Padawan

= this entire thread.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Crosby has nothing on this guy....

Almost forgot about this. Was in the playoffs too if memory serves
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Legend

Really fellas?! It's a damn expression. What kind of sheltered PC world do you people live in where you've never heard or used terms like, "he hits like a girl," etc?? Sexist?! I've heard it all now. LOL. "Man, it's hot as shit outside!" [insert: How do you compare our earthly climate to that of human waste!!!] Sorry, but a few of you are acting like little girls in this thread - don't get your panties in a bunch.

And, yes, this video is a perfect example of Crosby's continual use of dramatic embellishment every time he even gets sneezed on. It's embarrassing - take the fan goggles off and call it like it is. Yeah, Kovalev was one of the worst ever and the Habs were always my 2nd favorite team.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Well this has certainly gotten off track.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Really fellas?! It's a damn expression. What kind of sheltered PC world do you people live in where you've never heard or used terms like, "he hits like a girl," etc?? Sexist?! I've heard it all now. LOL. "Man, it's hot as shit outside!" [insert: How do you compare our earthly climate to that of human waste!!!] Sorry, but a few of you are acting like little girls in this thread - don't get your panties in a bunch.
    Seriously, dude? You're going to equate horrible oppression of women, which has gone on for centuries in Western civilization, with saying a cuss word for poop? That's an even lazier argument than the one you made before. C'mon dude ... I think you're smart. How do you not get it?

It's not about being PC, it's about recognizing that your comments play into a sense of self-worth among females, and you're not helping matters. Try to be a little self-aware, buddy.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Seriously, dude? You're going to equate horrible oppression of women, which has gone on for centuries in Western civilization, with saying a cuss word for poop? That's an even lazier argument than the one you made before. C'mon dude ... I think you're smart. How do you not get it?
    Get a grip mounD. I said Crosby is acting like a little girl, I didn't say women shouldn't be allowed to vote. You're being overly sensitive and dramatic now friend. Oh, and, for the record, I was just showing my WIFE this thread for fun and she rolled her eyes, made a look, and assumed you were joking.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Get a grip mounD. I said Crosby is acting like a little girl, I didn't say women shouldn't be allowed to vote. You're being overly sensitive and dramatic now friend.
    You are acting like a damn idiot. Do you not understand that your words have a profound effect on how women view themselves. It's not OK to say these things. You're really going to say I need to get a grip? The intellectual disconnect in your "argument" is PROFOUND. And note, I'm using the word "argument" in the loosest sense of the word.

If you don't realize that your comments are contributing to a culture where women are inherently less valued than men, I don't know what to tell you. That's on you ... not me.