Thread: Moving Lundqvist

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Moving Lundqvist

Hey all. First team in sig. I pulled the plug last year after Kovy left, and did a full rebuild of my team, focusing on young players with upside who are already a season or two in. I also have two picks in the top 12 this coming draft.

New roster (we keep 12):
    Tarasenko - Ennis - Scheifele
    Coyle - Barkov - Yakupov
    Teravainen - Mantha

Josi - Lindholm - Trouba

Lundqvist

So, as you can see, the one piece I haven't moved yet is Lundy. First, it's hard to get a top shelf, reliable keeper in this league. I acquired Lundy to the end of my competitive roster, and it cost a pretty penny. Then the wheels fell off.

So, question is this: Do I revisit moving Lundy in the offseason? After protection, but before, during or after the draft? And if so, what/who to target? See, while it's hard to acquire a top keeper in this pool, I also don't want to run the risk of having a top keeper for three years that I don't really need one, having him lose his value over time, and ending up without one when I'm ready for him. So, can Lundy keep it up until I need him? Or should I use him to upgrade somewhere now, and if so, where? And if so, what to do about goaltending going forward?

So many questions.

Look forward to some opinions!
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

The Great One

Default Re: Moving Lundqvist

Yeah, I'd trade Lundqvist eventually, but I don't see it as imperative that you do it any time soon. Your team will not be competitive for a long time, so you can take all the time in the world to trade Hank to maximize his value.

Unless I got an offer that blew me away before next season, I'd just hold him. I just don't see Lundqvist's value going down next season...

He's the kind of player that can make or break a championship for another team, so just make sure you maximize your value when you ship him out....

Dobber Sports Giant

Target the owners that have the following goalies during the OFFSEASON (doing so now will limit your trade return):

Rask (you will have to offer a little something extra)
    Price (straight up trade, but you may have to offer a little something extra)
    Varlamov (get a little something extra)
    Schneider (get a significant extra incentive such as a good pick, prospect or decent player)
    Lehner (get an impact player as well)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with the above list though I don't think many owners would trade Rask or Price for Lundy unless the "something extra" was significant and, looking at your roster, I honestly don't think you have the pieces to get that kind of deal done. As a Varly owner, I can also tell you that I definitely wouldn't give Varly + for Lundy, I'd be the one expecting the + if anything given their age and the trajectories of their teams.

Given the makeup of your team and the fact that you're likely a few years away from having a chance to compete, I really like going after Lehner + an impact player and/or top prospect. Having said that, a few other names you could target would be:

Bishop + something extra
    Bernier + something extra
    Quick (you'd likely have to give something extra but this might be more realistic than Rask/Price given his recent injury history)
    Gibson + something extra of high value (Gibson is basically the "something extra" whereas the other piece would be what you're centering the trade around here)

Good luck!
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

The Great One

Yeah, I also think something like Rask is a complete pipe dream.

And given that you won't be completing anytime soon, I really am not sure I understand the urgency of making a trade this off season.

You've got all the time in the world to make a trade, so I'd either want to try to sell Lundqvist high, or trade him when you can buy another starting goalie low.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Target the owners that have the following goalies during the OFFSEASON (doing so now will limit your trade return):

Rask (you will have to offer a little something extra)
    Price (straight up trade, but you may have to offer a little something extra)
    Varlamov (get a little something extra)
    Schneider (get a significant extra incentive such as a good pick, prospect or decent player)
    Lehner (get an impact player as well)
    Fantastic advice, and exactly what I would have said. Lundy is the man, but he's gonna be an OLD man by the time your team is ready to contend . The goalies listed are all fantastic options to target via trade, and all have the potential to be elite options when you are ready to gun for a title. I'd look to acquire the safest, and best of the bunch, in Rask. He is still young, is going to be elite for many years, and is on a top team. There are still some question marks with the others, so there is some risk involved. Lundy for Rask is a near-lateral move, with Rask holding the edge as he is younger and plays for the better team. Unfortunately, I don't see the extra piece needed to add to your end of the deal to make it happen. You likely have a better shot at landing a Price or Quick, so I would explore that route. Either way, I agree that shopping a Lundy+ for a young stud goalie is the way to go. Don't give Lundy away though, he's still a top tier stud.....this was the first so-so year of his career while going through contract negotiations and playing for a new coach, he's gonna bounce back strong next year. He's also got 5-6+ elite years left in him, and he still has a ton of trade value in keeper leagues. If you can't get the young stud G you need now, wait till the King goes on a tear next year and a contender is desperate for a G or a young stud goalie goes through a slump, and make the swap then.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks, guys. Some food for thought.

Rask is a no go, I tried to open talks around Lundy and him early last season before Lundqvist had his bad stretch, and the owner wasn't interested. I'll have a good look around and see who might be going for a run next year. I might also just take some flyers on younger goalies in the draft and sit on Lundy while I scope them out.

Thanks for the ideas.
    20-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Stud

Lundqvist is gold

His time in the NHL is now and for the next couple of seasons

Someone would have to bowl me over with an offer to even consider trading Mr Franchise

Otherwise keep him and bank on big time stats rolling in for the next half a decade
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Lundqvist is gold

His time in the NHL is now and for the next couple of seasons

Someone would have to bowl me over with an offer to even consider trading Mr Franchise

Otherwise keep him and bank on big time stats rolling in for the next half a decade
    Did you even read the original post before replying? He is rebuilding and will not be contending for more than a few years, and needs a younger goalie that will be in his prime when he is ready to compete.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Well let's see, who are the hot young up and coming goalies that everybody wants? Gibson? Lehner? Lack? Jake allen? Stalock? I would target someone with a good chance of winning next year and try to get one of those young goalies plus a hot forward prospect like drouin or kuznetsov, plus maybe a 1st round draft pick.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For me I would be interested at anytime in Schneider + in return for Lundqvist. I don't think Schneider is going to come any cheaper than right now and if the guy that owns him is competitive now - you might cash very nicely in draft picks. I would be very interested in doing whatever you can to land the 1st overall in 2015