Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Monday Fun - Next Year's Nyquist?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Monday Fun - Next Year's Nyquist?

A bit of Monday Fun! Who is next year's Nyquist (or Johansen)? What skater goes from untapped potential, draftable in the midnight beer-fogged rounds, to must-own in all formats? In the words of Monty Python - I seek the grail

I...am your father.

Default Re: Monday Fun - Next Year's Nyquist?

Toffoli
    Kucherov
    Granlund

are my candidates, assuming you don't count rookies in this
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Beau Bennett if he can finally stay healthy!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Toffoli
    Kucherov
    Granlund

are my candidates, assuming you don't count rookies in this
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    Beau Bennett if he can finally stay healthy!
    Agree with all of the above.

Might add Sven Baertschi as a bit more of a long shot
    Calle Jarnkrok, Filip Forsberg - other than being on Nashville
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

I really like this Kucherov kid, but will he get those sweet minutes and assignments in front of other guys like Palat, Johnson and Killorn in Tampa Bay?

I gotta think a guy like Kuznetsov, the way he's being used right now in Washington should give him a good chance for some solid stats if his TOI and linemates stay the same next year.

Granlund is also a great candidate.

What do you guys think about Silfverburg next year? Will he get the chance to play with the big boys once Selanne is out of the picture?

Several candidates with the Panthers starting with Barkov, Huberdeau and Bjugstad, depending who gets to play on the top PP unit.

How about Kreider with the Rangers?

On defence, I'm thinking a guy like Jake Gardiner could possibly have a monster season next year.

Never too early to plan for next year's draft!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Bjugstad
    Hamilton
    Nichushkin

are three guys I'll be looking for in the later rounds who I think might play big roles next year.
    Might still be a year early on VN... but I'm thinking it 'clicks' about halfway through next season.

(BTW: I picked up an undrafted Nyquist up about 3 weeks into our season this year. Thanks Dobberites!)

Dobber Sports Giant

It might not be next year, but a guy I still have really high hopes for is Mikhail Grigorenko. Lots of people out there are starting to throw around the "bust" tag, but there is still a lot of room to grow for Grigs, and he's certainly got the physical tools and skillset to make some magic in the NHL. If you're in a deep keeper / dynasty, this guy is definitely one to target. I'd be willing to be the price is cheap since most owners have soured on him at this point, and the upside is still sky-high. Before the 2012 draft, lots of analysts were saying that Grigorenko had quite possible the best offensive skillset of any draft eligible Forward ... he definitely hasn't forgotten how to play hockey.

Also, I think getting into another WJC tourney (with moderate success) and some AHL action (currently) will do wonders for his development going forward. I'd be willing to spend a late-round flier on Grigorenko going into next season. The rewards could be pretty great if all the pieces fall into place.

RE: Nyquist

I traded Timmy Thomas + Wingels for Nyquist + 2nd round pick in my deep dynasty pool about 1/2 through season. Boy am I glad I made that move ... thanks to everyone on these forums for tipping me off to his talents over the past couple years, especially.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    It might not be next year, but a guy I still have really high hopes for is Mikhail Grigorenko. Lots of people out there are starting to throw around the "bust" tag, but there is still a lot of room to grow for Grigs, and he's certainly got the physical tools and skillset to make some magic in the NHL. If you're in a deep keeper / dynasty, this guy is definitely one to target. I'd be willing to be the price is cheap since most owners have soured on him at this point, and the upside is still sky-high. Before the 2012 draft, lots of analysts were saying that Grigorenko had quite possible the best offensive skillset of any draft eligible Forward ... he definitely hasn't forgotten how to play hockey.
    I hope MounD is right about Grigorenko (he is on my roster) but I am thinking about another 2012 draftee as being the next big breakout player: Teuvo Teravainen. If we aren't counting rookies, which Teravainen will be, then I would give the nod to Detroit's Tomas Jurco. This guy has taken a similar route to the NHL (as Nyquist) and will get more ice time as some of the older RedWings are finally put out to pasture or are left unsigned.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Guru

Kuznetsov, Jaskin (long shot) are two that come to mind. Galchenyuk will be in his third season but I could see him making a big step forwards.

Dobber Sports Deity

I am going to throw out a name that many may not consider to be a breakout player but considering whats been expected of his so far and what he's done, I am going to say Ryan Nugent Hopkins takes a big step forward next year and breaks out.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I hope RNH does, and Yakupov for the Oilers sake. I'm not keeping RNH in a keep 5, but I'm hoping I can target him in the 3rd round, maybe late 2nd (I have an extra second in my Couture for RNH and a 2nd trade). Too early to draft that high or not high enough??
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am going to throw out a name that many may not consider to be a breakout player but considering whats been expected of his so far and what he's done, I am going to say Ryan Nugent Hopkins takes a big step forward next year and breaks out.
    You have to figure that if he doesn't, his name may start to rhyme with Yakupov...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Banned

Tyler Ennis. Same age, more skill, is showing great signs.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I actually agree 100% on this one; I'm expecting 80 points next season. BOLD ... I know.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

I...am your father.

I know we didn't formally agree to exclude rookies - we really shouldn't. Rookies are, by nature, sleeper picks. So let's exclude the Jarnkroks, the Forsbergs, the Kuznetsovs and stick our neck out a bit with some sophomores or...sticking out neck out even further...a third, fourth or dare I say fifth-year veteran!

Really like the Ennis and RNH picks - the longer they've been in the league, the more balls your pick is perceived because we've already seen several years of mediocrity and may have started to pigeonhole them.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi