Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stamkos or Tavares, pts only?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Stamkos or Tavares, pts only?

Stamkos for me. He's proven more (3 x 90+ point seasons, and an additional 2 pro-rated 90+ point seasons) and TB is better built for production for the foreseeable future. Better management, more solid franchise. These things add up.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    But Malkin *could* get 120+ pts if he would stay healthy and had a career year and everything worked out perfectly!
    Exactly. Im not sure if people are unaware or refuse to admit the truth but over the course of the last 5 years Malkin has played in less than 3/4 of the Pens games. Im sure he should get healthier as he approaches his 30s.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Points only, I would probably say Tavares is a hair about Stamkos, but thats just my opinion. Luckily enough for the keeper in my sig, I own both.
    I would tend to agree here. Tavares appears to be the better play-maker (although you could argue either way). In leagues with SOG I still favour Stamkos
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Proven over potential is fine, if potential's proven has shown 0 points and proven's proven gave us 90 points. Then of course you go proven. But in this case, Tavares' proven 81 points is what you're slotting under 'potential' and Stamkos' 97 points is what you're calling 'proven'. So, even though Tavares was on pace for about 92 points this year and his numbers have improved each and every season, you are willing to forego the potential here, in favor of a "proven" difference of 16 points? Suit yourself.

But we're not discussing upside per se.

We're debating the validity of trading straight up based on Tavares' potential of hitting 100+ pts - despite Stammer having proven to be a multi-90 pointer three consecutive years - four if we include projected during the lockout year - three's a trend.

I'll take 90 pt trending over coulda/woulda/shoulda any day.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Stamkos is just as young as Tavares, Stamkos could be in for a 100pt season, and especially if Drouin translates into the all-star everyone thinks he is. Goals > assists. Stamkos is better on the PP, more shots, and better +/-. Stammer the Hammer please and thanks. And also Tavares and that type of injury is not something that fully 100% heals, wear as a bone break does.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

This thread is inspiring me to go out and trade for John Tavares.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    This thread is inspiring me to go out and trade for John Tavares.
    THAT'S WHAT I DID IN MY ROTO... I got him really cheap too!

I traded:

Bozak + Lupul + Semin

for

Tavares + Hanzal

Can you say highway robbery?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    THAT'S WHAT I DID IN MY ROTO... I got him really cheap too!

I traded:

Bozak + Lupul + Semin

for

Tavares + Hanzal

Can you say highway robbery?
    That is utter insanity. You barely gave up anything of REAL value there ... sounds like somebody was desperate to win it all this year.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Taveras Hands down and we got a taste of what he could do with Vanek this year. If they ever get him a decent player to play with sky is the limit for him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ds760 View Post
    Taveras Hands down and we got a taste of what he could do with Vanek this year. If they ever get him a decent player to play with sky is the limit for him.
    And what happened to Vanek? Oh, right. He's gone.

Tavares is a long way away from having an elite linemate. And Stamkos is showing right now he doesn't need one.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    That is utter insanity. You barely gave up anything of REAL value there ... sounds like somebody was desperate to win it all this year.
    Tavares just doesn't get the respect he deserves. Most of us here rank him as a Top-5 player whereas I've found that some people think of him as a Top-15 player.

I definitely capitalized on a desperate owner, but even then, this owner is an idiot for trading Tavares.

Dobber Sports Monster

Tavares is a long way away from having an elite linemate. And Stamkos is showing right now he doesn't need one.
    I wonder if Stamkos has stayed healthy and continued on his 1.2 points per game rate, whether we would be saying "Tavares and it isn't even close"? Stamkos also has 1 fewer goal than Tavares in 29 less games played.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Banned

Vanek was just okay with Tavares... he put up decent numbers, but he didn't do a whole lot to help the line and his production wasn't much higher than JT's previous linemates. Okposo was the real key on that line with JT... besides, JT doesn't need elite wingers to put up points. He just needs better players (not scorers) than the Moulsens, Boyes and Parenteaus of the world. Anders Lee, Brock Nelson... both these guys would provide JT with better players than he has had on his wing yet. JT needs guys that can hold onto the puck, cycle, win board battles, etc... they are coming.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Vanek was just okay with Tavares... he put up decent numbers, but he didn't do a whole lot to help the line and his production wasn't much higher than JT's previous linemates. Okposo was the real key on that line with JT... besides, JT doesn't need elite wingers to put up points. He just needs better players (not scorers) than the Moulsens, Boyes and Parenteaus of the world. Anders Lee, Brock Nelson... both these guys would provide JT with better players than he has had on his wing yet. JT needs guys that can hold onto the puck, cycle, win board battles, etc... they are coming.
    No argument there. I just don't see him getting skilled-enough players to put him above Stamkos' production. Given the guys in the pipe I see his production falling somewhere between his recent years and Stamkos' current. Somewhere in the 86-95 range. No one good enough to put him above that.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    A Big 4 with Tavares I agree. No Big 5. Stamkos doesn't belong there. That's like saying Yzerman made it a Big 3 with Lemieux and Gretzky. Different class of player - Sid, Gino, Ovy and maybe JT. Stamkos is in the next class, like Yzerman, Hull, Kurri back in the day. Not insulting Stamkos.
    Easy now...I'm not sure I buy this yet. If you want to drop Stamkos out of the big 4 then I don't see why Tavares goes into it other than you like his upside - which is pure speculation. He hasn't gotten a single 90 point season yet even if it's expected he will. Call it a big 3 if you want. But a big 4 which includes Tavares but not Stamkos? I don't get that at all. I don't know how you drop someone who's gotten 60 goals and almost 100 points out for a a guy who was ON PACE for 90 points and nowhere near 60 goals. Oh and you wanna know who Stamkos has the same pts per game to right now? Evgeni Malkin. Speculate as you will who is better between Tavvy and Stamkos, but it hasn't happened yet for Tav.

If you want to be included in the top 4 fantasy players of the league I think you have to have done it before. Tavares has not done it before, no matter how much you might like him as a player (I personally love his game). Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Stamkos earned their way to the big 4 through massive seasons of 60 goals or 100+ points. We can only project Tavares will get there.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry