Thread: Coyle or Baertschi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Coyle or Baertschi

For a points only keeper who is the better one to target ? Coyle is obviously the play right now but I still think Baertschi has more offensive potential. Who will end up putting up the better offensive numbers of these two ? Am I wrong thinking Baertschi ?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Coyle or Baertschi

One thing to remember is who might have the nearest time frame to play top line or top six minutes. I believe that more forwards vie for those positions in Minnesota than in Calgary, thus making Baertschi more likely to assume a top role with his club.

Dobber Sports Deity

This is a tough one. Normally in a points only I would have said Baertschi without question but he seems to have a big uphill climb in front of him with Brian Burke making the executive decisions in Calgary. Burke wants a better defensive game from Baertschi so I am not sure how that will affect him and his opportunities with the Flames, let alone his offensive game. I found this article on Baertschi and from what I read in it, Burke isn't sold on him yet. It sounds like Baertschi is improving his defensive game, but his offensive is suffering because of it. This article is less then 30 days old.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/04...sven-baertschi

Anyways, for now, I think Baertschi is the better offensive player BUT that offensive skill means nothing if it isn't in the NHL.

I'm going with Coyle.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Give me CC in this debate.. Baertschi has a tough hill to climb in Calgary.. Coyle is going to be a good one!!

Dobber Sports Monster

It's easily Coyle and it's not because he's had more NHL success. Baertschi is tanking down the Calgary depth chart right now.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm going with Coyle, too. Every time I watch him play I come away very, very impressed.

Dobber Sports Monster

Seems to me these players are going in opposite directions. Coyle looks good, looks like the best bet to produce the most between the two.

Dobber Sports Ace

If its just offensive numbers its close, I strongly believe Bart will get there, kid is still 21.

Read this from Daoust in the Grigorenko thread and think it fits here too: "The only thing we have seen so far is that he is not an overnight sensation. He's a prospect like just about everyone else. Lots of chapters still to be written here..."

So for me its closer than some of the above guys state. However, if you include peripheral stats in your league like hits/pims then pick Coyle all day long.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm taking Coyle here. He seems to be gelling with some of the Wild's best players at the moment and his scoring has picked up. I used to be a huge fan of Baertschi, but it seems like the Flames organization is souring on the kid, which is a shame because he has potential to be a big scoring threat if he can put it all together.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Little surprised with all the endorsements of Coyle but can't say I disagree with any of the logic. Guess it's time to take the blinders off.

Thanks for the replies.