Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gaudreau now with 74pts and countng on the season

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Gaudreau now with 74pts and countng on the season

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'd say Marcel Dionne belongs on that list...
    Dionne played at about 5'8", 180 in an era when the players were significantly smaller so I wouldn't consider him a small player. Today, he would most certainly be one though.

I...am your father.

Yeah I think we should stick to this era, say 90s and up (plus that's more my expertise as I was in pools then)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

This is what Jordyr77 is referring to:

A Toronto Sun article: Sorry, Flames fans, Johnny Gaudreau should stay in school.

Calgary Flames fans don’t want to hear or read this, but Jane Gaudreau may just be right.

Her son, young Johnny, probably should play one more year at Boston College.

He probably should graduate.

He probably should take the time to get bigger and stronger.

And he probably should enjoy one final year as little big man on campus.

But that doesn’t mean he should also snub an almost three-year relationship with the Flames by testing free agency in August 2015 as he would be eligible for.

Fact is the organization has treated him brilliantly since drafting the 5-foot-8, 159-lb. dynamo 104th back in ’11.

That ought to count for something.

Despite the allure of collecting larger performance bonuses on the open market and being able to pick an employer closer to his parents on the east coast, there are few better opportunities than the one the rebuilding Flames present after he graduates.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

After reading that, it almost convinces me that there is a very good chance he will snub the Flames organization.. More money, play in the east, and more then likely play for a winner!! Most importantly>> MORE $$$

Banned

There is no chance he won't sign with the Flames.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    There is no chance he won't sign with the Flames.
    So your saying there's a chance??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    So your saying there's a chance??
    Exactly!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    The list of fails is no doubt much longer than the list of successes, though I can't think of them all from over the years.
    I can edit/add to this list if anyone has any good ones
    I think it's harder to remember the fails because they're just not memorable.

While the jury is still out, Jordan Schroeder is looking more and more like a fail.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Fact is the organization has treated him brilliantly since drafting the 5-foot-8, 159-lb. dynamo 104th back in ’11.

That ought to count for something.

Despite the allure of collecting larger performance bonuses on the open market and being able to pick an employer closer to his parents on the east coast, there are few better opportunities than the one the rebuilding Flames present after he graduates.
    My question is what exactly did the Flames do? How did they treat him "brilliantly"? If it were me, I'd want to pick my workplace/organization that's going to own my rights (ELC + RFA contract years) for a fairly long time and uh, make more money with that larger performance bonus I might make. So the Flames spent a draft pick on him, oh wow, now he's indebted to the team? I know some NHL players and fans believe this as evidenced by the rhetoric generated when Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz were called all sorts of names when they looked out for their best interests and financial well-being.

The kid should really spend another year in college for all the reasons mentioned in the article mentioned. I watched part of that BC/Union game today and Gaudreau was indeed awesome. I hope he takes the time he needs to get stronger and hopefully spend some time on the rack and maybe stretch out a couple more inches and put on a little more muscle in order to compete against men...big men who want to hurt him because he has a little black disk.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    My question is what exactly did the Flames do? How did they treat him "brilliantly"? If it were me, I'd want to pick my workplace/organization that's going to own my rights (ELC + RFA contract years) for a fairly long time and uh, make more money with that larger performance bonus I might make. So the Flames spent a draft pick on him, oh wow, now he's indebted to the team? I know some NHL players and fans believe this as evidenced by the rhetoric generated when Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz were called all sorts of names when they looked out for their best interests and financial well-being.

The kid should really spend another year in college for all the reasons mentioned in the article mentioned. I watched part of that BC/Union game today and Gaudreau was indeed awesome. I hope he takes the time he needs to get stronger and hopefully spend some time on the rack and maybe stretch out a couple more inches and put on a little more muscle in order to compete against men...big men who want to hurt him because he has a little black disk.
    Development camp, nutrition, fitness, guidance, development throughout the year (via e-mail, phone, website, etc).

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'd say Marcel Dionne belongs on that list...
    If we're adding Dionne, we can't forget Cournoyer, Morenz and Joliat
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Novice

What a day for Johnny Gaudreau.. Hobey Baker Memorial Award.. signs NHL contract and now named 2014 NCAA 1st team All American. #JohnnyHockey
    He also will reportedly debut Sunday versus the Canucks. The start of a very anticipated career.

And he talks about his decision to turn pro (VIDEO)

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...d=11&id=601038

Does this mean we should expect him to go Pro, and not stay in college? What's the likely hood of him starting next year? (aka should I pick him up now in a deep keeper league?)

12 GM KEEP 16
    F: E.Staal, Iginla, Nyquist, Kucherov, Palat, Gaudreau, Huberdeau, Scheifele, E. Lindholm, Dubinsky, Kuznetsov, Etem, Lazar
    D: Doughty, Weber, J.Carlson, Gudas, Ceci,
    G: Smith, Quick, Raanta, Lack

11 GM DYNASTY
    F: Tavares, Getzlaf, Spezza, Turris, Tlusty, J.Stall, Thornton, Sedin, Stastny, RNH, Pominville, Kadri, Hodgson, Barkov, Berglund, Gagner, S. Griffith, Beleskey
    D: Doughty, Muzzin, Sekera, Brodie, Franson, Gelinas, Ellis, D.Boyle
    G: Crawford, Lehtonen, Anderson, Scrivens, Fasth
    FARM: G.Reinhart, N.Ritchie, Morrow, Fabbri, Tierney, Prokhorkin, Stolarz, Pickard, Svedberg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Development camp, nutrition, fitness, guidance, development throughout the year (via e-mail, phone, website, etc).
    Do you know this for fact or just what you think the team did? Sounds pretty generic and nothing says personal attention like an email or "hey, check out our website".

Drafting a player's rights does not mean that the player "owes" them anything. The kid also likely received nutrition, fitness, guidance and development from his parents and coaches at various levels of his young playing career. The NHL has put in place the ELC, effectively limiting how much these players can make in their early years. For the few players who are faced with this type of situation (to sign or become a FA), they should do what is best for them because the team won't hesitate to do what is right for themselves. We hear ALL the time that hockey is a business, so why do we vilify a player when he explores his options within the rules? My $0.05

EDIT: ...and apparently I missed the memo that Gaudreau signed a contract earlier in the day! lol