Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Martin St Louis

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Martin St Louis

Okay, seriously now.

What do me make of Marty in New York? This is 3 points in 11 or 12 games since the trade.

I know it's a different system, teammates, coaches, etc, etc...but it's still in the East and MSL is/was/should be an elite scorer who is able to produce beyond all that.

But he's not producing.

So - i guess this is a question for the folks who've been watching the Rangers lately - is this just a ridiculous run of bad luck or can we start to think StLouis has fallen from the ranks of top producers?

And I'm not asking about the Stamkos effect, which has been discussed in detail on another thread. Honestly wondering about the now and future for MSL in NYC.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Martin St Louis

He's been invisible for the majority of most nights. Had a couple of chances early in the 1st tonight and then disappeared. If he stays in NY, personally I see him as a 65 point player, just like the rest of the big name offensive stars they bring in to underachieve.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Monster

He's still elite. I'd chalk things up to being on a new team, new system new teammates.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    He's still elite. I'd chalk things up to being on a new team, new system new teammates.
    Haha, ask Rangers fans if they think he's elite. They would be so much better off with Callahan, especially come playoff time. With Cally looking fantastic in Tampa, doesn't look too good on Sather at this point.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Haha, ask Rangers fans if they think he's elite. They would be so much better off with Callahan, especially come playoff time. With Cally looking fantastic in Tampa, doesn't look too good on Sather at this point.
    It's to small of a sample size with his new team to think otherwise. Every single player in the entire NHL has times like St. Louis is currently having.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    It's to small of a sample size with his new team to think otherwise. Every single player in the entire NHL has times like St. Louis is currently having.
    Oh, I know....I was just being coy. He's obviously too good to not get it going, but I still don't see him producing nearly as much in NY. Nash hasn't, Richards hasn't, and I don't see MSL being any different.

Dobber Sports Superstar

He will pick things up, just getting acclimatized to NY. He is too good to slump for long.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Pro

There's no choice here...have to be patient. You don't have the hall of fame career MSL has had and all of a sudden forget how to be an offensive catalyst. The Alain Vigneault era of NYR has been an odd one, this is just adding to it. It's taken a while and it might take the rest of the season and into the playoffs...but MSL and NYR will figure it out. Next year MSL is still an 80+ pt player easily. Take advantage of it if you can in keeper leagues, might be able to get MSL for pretty cheap for the right owner panicking.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Okay, seriously now.

What do me make of Marty in New York? This is 3 points in 11 or 12 games since the trade.

I know it's a different system, teammates, coaches, etc, etc...but it's still in the East and MSL is/was/should be an elite scorer who is able to produce beyond all that.

But he's not producing.

So - i guess this is a question for the folks who've been watching the Rangers lately - is this just a ridiculous run of bad luck or can we start to think StLouis has fallen from the ranks of top producers?

And I'm not asking about the Stamkos effect, which has been discussed in detail on another thread. Honestly wondering about the now and future for MSL in NYC.

Thanks
    Marton OLDlouis is a drop. forget about him next year. hes done.

this is what happens when you reach his age. you decline fast. blink and you miss it.

OLDlouis is finished

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    There's no choice here...have to be patient. You don't have the hall of fame career MSL has had and all of a sudden forget how to be an offensive catalyst. The Alain Vigneault era of NYR has been an odd one, this is just adding to it. It's taken a while and it might take the rest of the season and into the playoffs...but MSL and NYR will figure it out. Next year MSL is still an 80+ pt player easily. Take advantage of it if you can in keeper leagues, might be able to get MSL for pretty cheap for the right owner panicking.
    so because he had a hall of fame career he will always be good?

i dont think so

Dobber Sports Initiate

Maybe the old bones ache more in the colder climate? I am definitely getting stupidly panicked at this point. I caught myself wondering this morning if Sekera might be a better keeper than Marty.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like to joke that player's careers "officially" go down the tubes when they move to the Big Apple.
    Gosh... how many elite players have gone there now?
    Hasn't every top player of our generation spend a year or two in their 30s there? (Gretzky, Jagr, Bure, Lindros, Lafontaine, Gaborik, Nash... now MSL).

Chemistry - is a funny thing.
    Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it chugs.

MSL, I think, will still be a 70-80pt player in New York next year.
    But this year... perhaps the current players don't fit his style.

Something as simple as "who I'm jumping over the boards to replace" and whether a player gets to do this at their own will... can make a difference.

For the rest of this year, I'd expect MSL to produce at about 0.5ppg (41pt season).
    The chemistry just ain't there right now.

Dobber Sports Pro

Lets be honest here. He's old and there's a pattern with players even younger then him struggling once they put the Rangers jersey on. I am not optimistic at all about next season. There is a lot of downside riske here.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Somehow he managed to avoid getting a point even during the Rangers' utter domination of Edmonton last night. Scary.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Patience is the answer here. MSL needs to build chemistry and find line mates that he'll be able to produce with. I think in due time he'll be putting up points. Whether that is this year will be remained to be seen.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Age + Rangers = very worried if MSL owner
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.