Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OHL Goalie pulls self from game, leaves arena, drives off

I...am your father.

Default OHL Goalie pulls self from game, leaves arena, drives off

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=447380

The Windsor Spitfires were left with just one goaltender Tuesday after having their starter walk out on them midway through Game 3 of their Ontario Hockey League playoff matchup with the London Knights.

Dalen Kuchmey pulled himself from Windsor's net, went to the dressing room, changed and drove away from the arena after giving up eight goals on 26 shots, leaving the Spitfires trailing 8-1 with 5:34 remaining in the second period.

London went on to win the game 10-2.

"You're going to have to ask him," Spitfires head coach Bob Boughner said when asked about Kuchmey's whereabouts during the third period. "He left the ice and the rink before the (second) period was over. He quit on our team and he quit on his teammates."

Kuchmey was making his first start of the series, filling in for regular starter Alex Fotinos who came down sick after starting Game 1 and 2.

London jumped out to a 4-0 lead after 20 minutes of play and Boughner spoke to Fotinos about replacing Kuchmey to start the second, but decided to stick with the healthier 19-year-old despite the score.

"I asked our backup goalie (Fotinos) who had been sick all day at the end of the first period if he could go in if we had to pull Kuch at some point," Boughner said. "He said, 'if you need me, great, but I don't feel good at all'.

Added Boughner: "Our backup was sick. It is what it is and I really don't have anything more to say as I haven't talked to (Kuchmey). But once you quit on our team .... I'd rather concentrate on the guys who want to be here."

Ryan Rupert and Bo Horvat each had a goal and three assists for the Knights, who have a commanding 3-0 series lead. Zach Bell, Chandler Yakimowicz, Michael McCarron, Matt Rupert, Nikita Zadorov, Chris Tierney, Josh Anderson and Mitchell Marner added the others.

London's Anthony Stolarz made 24 saves for the win. Stolarz received a two-minute minor for high sticking at the 15:56 mark of the first period after hitting Josh Ho-Sang in the back of the head with his stick.

Ho-Sang and Ben Johnson scored for the Spitfires as Fotinos wound up stopping 11-of-13 shots in 25 minutes of relief.

Boughner added that goaltender Brendan Johnston could be called up from Chatham Jr. B in time for Game 4 on Thursday.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: OHL Goalie pulls self from game, leaves arena, drives off

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't the best career move.

Harsh that ho-sang got nailed in the noggin!
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm sure there's a beer league in Windsor that will pick him up.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

One of the stranger games you'll ever see.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Giant

pulled a patrick roy.
    best to wait til your elite and actually have a career before pulling a stunt like that.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

rage quiting on real life instead of in video games ... thats new
    16 Team H2H Full Keeper: G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, FW, GAA, SV%, W, SV, SO
    Start: 4c, 4lw, 4rw, 6d, 2g, 8 bench

Center: Eichel, Scheifele, Nelson, Pirri
    Left Wing: Huberdeau, Hoffman (C/LW), Maroon, Soderberg (C/LW)
    Right Wing: Kessel, Little (C/RW), Nyquist (C/RW), Zucarrello (LW/RW)
    Defense: Karlsson, Carlson, Savard, Stone, Petry, McNabb
    Goalie: Bishop, Anderson, Raanta
    Bench: Lander, JT Miller, Eakin, Gerbe (C/LW), Dorsett, Jurco, Coyle (C/RW)

Farm: Gormley, S. Morin, Paquette, Weal, Poirier, Vesey, Goldobin, Fiala, Sprong, Copp, Griffith, Stolarz (G), Visentin (G), Bibeau (G), S. Williams (G)

Dobber Sports Deity

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

I kind of feel bad for the kid, if only because a moment of youthful stupidity is going to create problems for him for years, at least if he stays in Windsor. He probably doesn't have a bright future in hockey anyway, but imagine walking in for an interview at the local McDonald's/accounting firm/construction contractor and knowing that the guy interviewing you knows that you are the guy who walked off the ice, got dressed and went home when the going got tough? What are your chances of getting that job? You know the person interviewing you is picturing the day you storm out of McDonald's, pull a hoodie on over your uniform shirt and drive home because you weren't having a good day at the fryer, had already burned the fries twice, and the manager hadn't replaced you.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think it says more about character than "youthful stupidity".

Hockey is a great educator for real life situations and this tells me what this kid has learned...when things go badly, give up, quit, and think only about yourself.

I do feel sorry this kid but it's for how he has learned to handle himself in a bad situation. There is a right way and a wrong way to stand up for yourself and make a point. He chose the wrong way.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd be beyond frustrated being left out to dry and not having your coach put the other goalie in, I understand his anger entirely but you can't storm out like that.. mistake made and hopefully he learns from it.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Padawan

Generation Y, where quitting and running away means you are standing up for yourself... #facepalm
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    G-Varlamov
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    Generation Y, where quitting and running away means you are standing up for yourself... #facepalm
    I don't believe his stupid actions represent an entire generation... He's barely even a gen Y anyway, maybe very end of the cycle
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Giant

I feel really bad for the kid, too. It's definitely not the most graceful way he could have handled himself, and he certainly let down his teammates in a big way; however, I don't think we should go so far as to say that this kid hasn't learned anything, and is just going to give up when the going gets tough. There was a lot more going on behind the scenes than just this embarrassing defeat in the playoffs, and it's not fair to the kid (that's what he is ... A KID) if we just jump to conclusions based on what we are seeing reported right now. I don't think something like this, that happened during a game, should have any bearing on how the rest of his life turns out. Seems like a decent enough kid to me.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I don't believe his stupid actions represent an entire generation... He's barely even a gen Y anyway, maybe very end of the cycle
    I've been working with millenials for years, it's an observation on my part.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    G-Varlamov

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I feel really bad for the kid, too. It's definitely not the most graceful way he could have handled himself, and he certainly let down his teammates in a big way; however, I don't think we should go so far as to say that this kid hasn't learned anything, and is just going to give up when the going gets tough. There was a lot more going on behind the scenes than just this embarrassing defeat in the playoffs, and it's not fair to the kid (that's what he is ... A KID) if we just jump to conclusions based on what we are seeing reported right now. I don't think something like this, that happened during a game, should have any bearing on how the rest of his life turns out. Seems like a decent enough kid to me.
    MounD, unless you know him personally I think you are the one jumping to conclusions, assuming he's a decent kid.

I don't know him but am basing my opinion on what I actually observed.

Sure there is more going on but he could have quit the team before the game, or he could have quit the team after the game, but he should not have quit during the game. It is on the coach that he didn't call up the Jr. B goalie ( although he said he didn't because he didn't want to hurt the Jr. B team because they too were in the playoffs ) but the young man ( I consider a kid someone much younger than him ) knew his backup was ill and would only play in an emergency, so he knew at the beginning of the game that the team needed him to play the entire game. It's totally different than being left in when there is a healthy goalie on the bench.

If his actions aren't such a big deal then why don't more people do it. I just think his actions were more than ungraceful.

"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit."~ Vince Lombardi
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher