Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Leafs finding new ways to blow it

I...am your father.

Default Leafs finding new ways to blow it

A 4-1 lead against Boston with 10 minutes left in Game 7. A lock. Nope - they blow it.

The need to win 6 out of 14 to clinch a playoff spot. A lock. Nope - they blow it.

What's happening? I was first in line to criticize the Clarkson signing, but I conceded that it helped the team and that was the price of doing that. But not even I saw this kind of hopelessness.

And Phaneuf? Don't get me started.

I can't remember seein a team struggle to get the puck out of their zone. It was almost like the keystone cops. The Blues made a mockery of the Leafs
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Leafs finding new ways to blow it

At least Jake Gardiner looks really dangerous lately
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Monster

I wouldn't say " new ways". Seems to me its just the same ole same...

Dobber Sports Stud

Don't the leafs perennially play good at the beginning of the season and dwindle out by the end? I remember bugging my leaf friends about this, and mentioned they only made the playoffs last year because of the shortened season and didn't have time to blow it!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

In my opinion, this is just a prime example of the Law of Averages at work. For 3/4 of the season, the Leafs managed to pull off improbable wins in games that they were badly outshot and puck-possessed and had no business winning. All season, they have consistently been one of the only, if not the only, team in a playoff position sporting a negative team goal differential while taking the 5th most PIM in the league.

It was just a matter of time before things started going wrong to even out the scales and return things to the mean.......there's no way the Leafs' could go on playing the style they play and expect to make the playoffs. I'm surprised they kept winning as long as they did.....they were long overdue for a fall back to reality.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    In my opinion, this is just a prime example of the Law of Averages at work. For 3/4 of the season, the Leafs managed to pull off improbable wins in games that they were badly outshot and puck-possessed and had no business winning. All season, they have consistently been one of the only, if not the only, team in a playoff position sporting a negative team goal differential while taking the 5th most PIM in the league.

It was just a matter of time before things started going wrong to even out the scales and return things to the mean.......there's no way the Leafs' could go on playing the style they play and expect to make the playoffs. I'm surprised they kept winning as long as they did.....they were long overdue for a fall back to reality.
    Wow, there is nothing more to add after reading Shiva's awesome post! +1
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

And I be like

Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

It's all Reimers fault.

Wait....
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

At least they're not the Oilers.....yet
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Folks, some of us Leafs fans (the non delusional ones) have been predicting this kind of futility for a long, long time.
    This goes back to last season actually.
    Reimer carried them. Kadri's shooting percentage was screaming regression. They were a terrible possession team all year.

So, what do they do in the offseason?
    Buy out one of their best possession players (Grabo) and let another one walk away for nothing (Mac).
    Then waste valuable cap space on overpaying Clarkson and trading for, then signing, Bernier. For the hundredth time... no one is saying Bernier isn't an upgrade on Reimer overall. But there were FAR more pressing needs on this roster than attempting an upgrade in net. Scrivens has, arguably, outplayed them both... at a fraction of the cap hit. Meanwhile, teams like the Blues come into town and laugh at how pathetic the Leafs are.

Defensively, they are simply a joke. This starts with coaching. But it's also on Nonis for re-upping Phaneuf as his #1, a role he is so incredibly and obviously, not suited for.
    Phaneuf wouldn't even make the top 3 D on St.Louis.
    As bad as they were last season, from a possession standpoint , they have managed to get even worse this year. This is no accident. This collapse was entirely predictable. You can only win on luck and goaltending for so long...
    Agree that the Leafs need to upgrade their "D" - Need to make Phanauf a # 3 D. The $64000 question is where do they find the top 2 D men? Draft / free agent.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    At least they're not the Oilers.....yet
    As an Oilers fan, thanks for taking Clarkson.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Folks, some of us Leafs fans (the non delusional ones) have been predicting this kind of futility for a long, long time.
    This goes back to last season actually.
    Reimer carried them. Kadri's shooting percentage was screaming regression. They were a terrible possession team all year.

So, what do they do in the offseason?
    Buy out one of their best possession players (Grabo) and let another one walk away for nothing (Mac).

Then waste valuable cap space on overpaying Clarkson and trading for, then signing, Bernier. For the hundredth time... no one is saying Bernier isn't an upgrade on Reimer overall. But there were FAR more pressing needs on this roster than attempting an upgrade in net. Scrivens has, arguably, outplayed them both... at a fraction of the cap hit. Meanwhile, teams like the Blues come into town and laugh at how pathetic the Leafs are.

Defensively, they are simply a joke. This starts with coaching. But it's also on Nonis for re-upping Phaneuf as his #1, a role he is so incredibly and obviously, not suited for.
    Phaneuf wouldn't even make the top 3 D on St.Louis.

As bad as they were last season, from a possession standpoint , they have managed to get even worse this year. This is no accident. This collapse was entirely predictable. You can only win on luck and goaltending for so long...
    This is more or less what I've been telling the die-hard Leaf fan at work all season long. "It's unsustainable" I tell him. "Their luck will run out" I tell him. He says "I don't care, as long as they make the playoffs." Well. It's looking like he's going to have to start caring.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Leafs - the one team in all of sports that I root against.
    Too many work terms in the T-dot with know-it-all homers.
    I've encountered way too many Leafs fans (in person & still here on these boards) who believes that being a Leafs fan makes them an upper-echelon hockey mind.
    [not all Leafs fans... but good mercy... a whole bunch of 'em]

Fail... please, fail.

The Great One

All they had to do was play 500 hockey after the break.

Unsustainable? They sustained it for about 100 games going back to last season.

They have been brutal for long stretches (usually the start) at a time during games. Thats whats killing them.

The Great One

I get that. But does luck last 100 games?

Also, I agree with your points on the Phaneuf signing. But man what a tough place to be in. Sign him for what he wants, or let him walk and leave a huge hole on the blueline. We are a better team with him. Just wish he took #2 money. 5.5ish a year.