Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dropping Barkov a mistake?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Dropping Barkov a mistake?

I have 2 IR spots in my 20 team head to head franchise league. H. Sedin, Datysuk, and Barkov are on IR and I can have only 2 on that spot. Being in the playoffs I need some player power for this week. What will I lose by dropping Barkov? I have Monahan, Kuznetsov, Drouin, Nyquist for the future already.

I...am your father.

Default Re: Dropping Barkov a mistake?

So trading is not an option and this is a full keeper (keep all)?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

There is no way I am dropping Barkov in a 20 team keeper league, playoffs or not. I would probably cut one of my low quality players (in a 20 team league, every team has low quality players to fill their roster) and take Barkov off the IR and simply put him on my bench and leave him there until the season ends.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

More information is needed like how many keepers, who is available to replace Barkov and who else is on your roster that could be dropped. Unless there is an amazing player available and you have a really good chance to win it this year I would not drop Barkov as he is one of a great group of core young players that should help you for years to come.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Titan

Having 2 Monahan’s will be beneficial. You can always trade a Monahan for Barkov next year if you drop him.

In all serious, I’m not a big fan of Barkov. He will be good, he’s shown his talent he has. So even not as a fan, I’d toss him on the bench and tough it out this yr. Someone in my 6 keeper league picked Drouin up just to keep him. If he can tough it out and make it to the semis, you can with Barkov
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

What are your league and team details?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

exactally, how many keepers you allowed. I too would drop one of my lesser guys for him. Hate to give someone a free long term keeper for nothing.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Have to agree with the others in this thread. Elite prospect value goes up tremendously in a pool that has 20 teams, since you'll have a hard time finding them the following season. Might have to hang onto him and hope someone recovers sooner
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Giant

If this is a dynasty / full keeper (or even a league in which a large amount of players, 15+, are kept), then you have to bite the bullet and just keep Barkov. There is absolutely no way you can sacrifice an asset like that for nothing, even if you're going for the win. If you win, it's a hollow victory; if you lose, well ... it's bad.

Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

team.jpg

My team is above along with the stats. After the season I can keep all players except for 2 since IR players don't count so I am definitely going to have to drop 2 players from my team. I will try to do a trade in the offseason because keepers don't have to be chosen until September.

Dobber Sports Ninja

In all honesty, I'd reluctantly drop Barkov. With your league settings, he's not going to be fantasy-worthy next season in my opinion (16 hits in 54 gp?, a minus team, few pims). You seem to have a plethora of young studly prospects in Drouin, Monahan, Kuznetsov and Nyquist. Having too many unproven players in such a shallow-rostered league is not a good way to win. You need some players with proven track records to off-set the ups and downs that your young and talented, but inconsistent prospects will have.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Datsyuk started skating the other day... if he returns soon, you'll be back to 2 injured players for 2 IR spots. I'd just wait it out.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Deity

I would keep him for now, and try and trade two young studs for an upgraded piece in the offseason.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I’d flip Barkov and someone else to try and bolster your goaltenders. Rinne and Kuemper isn’t the best duo. Trade Barkov and Parise for a goalie who’s between top 5 and top 10 maybe. Parise isn’t going to do amazing fantasy wise in Minny. Or trade the Sedin while he has some value left in him. I would focus on the future with your team; you’re set up perfectly for it. Drouin, Kuzy, Barkov, Nyquist, Shattenkirk and Karlsson are all great young players.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Man, I know some of these young studs are golden, but what's with everyone's infatuation with young prospects? We all know Drouin, Kuz, Barkov, and Nyquist all have bright futures, but they all need time to develop. In your type of league, a keep-20, I would NEVER drop Barkov. Instead, I'd try to move Drouin + another player for a more proven player, preferably a goalie. Rinne will be great for you next season, but I am worried about Darcy being the #1 goalie in Minnesota next year; he might have Harding and Backstrom to deal with. Out of all the young players you have listed, I think I'm the most excited about Gustav Nyquist. He is the next great Wing.