Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does Tyler win the Taylor vs. Tyler battle finally?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Does Tyler win the Taylor vs. Tyler battle finally?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Seguin has matured. Looks like Hall hasn;t.
    Why do you say this?

The Great One

Although I said I'd take Seguin, the truth is that it is hard to judge Hall too harshly, given how horrible the Oilers are. If Seguin was still in Boston, I suspect most would be picking Hall still. Conversely, if Hall were traded to a better team, he would almost certainly explode as Seguin has done in Dallas.

That said, I stand by my selection of Seguin over Hall not because of what either has done so far in their careers, but because center is such an important position and if I'm building an NHL team, I want to be strong up the middle.

I'd argue that the main reason the Oilers are struggling, and I've said this for years now, is that they are so weak at center.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Why do you say this?
    He might be referring to the water bottle incident and arguing with the coach. I'd say that is just emotion and I want my players being pissed off about losing 8-1 to their provincial rivals.

However, I have also heard numerous rumors that Hall is a major party guy, so perhaps that is also what Big Ev is referring to.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    He might be referring to the water bottle incident and arguing with the coach. I'd say that is just emotion and I want my players being pissed off about losing 8-1 to their provincial rivals.

However, I have also heard numerous rumors that Hall is a major party guy, so perhaps that is also what Big Ev is referring to.
    I'm glad he has you, sea dog, to expand on what Big Ev means. But the arguement has little substance to me. Seguin was jettisoned because of his off ice attitude were led to believe.

Then Mr. Maturity (cough) allows his twitter account to be hacked with a homophobic slur.

I'm almost more puzzled at the "seguin has matured" comment than then haphazard Hall hadn't matured comment.

I've seen no reports like that directed to hall. And the water bottle thing is a rediculous arguement, but I agree with you seadog, I admire hall's emotion and the fact he was visibly pissed at his team's lack of confidence.

Not the first time I've been left wondering what the hell big ev was talking about. Won't be the last. But thanks for helping Dog!

Banned

That's why I said it loos like Seguin has finally matured....I know of his Boston reputation and antics. I think Hall still has poor on-ice behaviour at times and is not a guy who is gonna lead a team to anything.

Oilers need leaders, it's that simple.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

Oilers need leaders, it's that simple.
    This is a statement I can get behind. However, that's not to suggest that I think seguin is any more a leader than Hall.

Neither one is crosby(who had Lemieux) or Stamkos(who had Lecavalier and MSL) or even J.T. Who had and continues to have no one (special case)

These two are elite hockey players who need to leave the leadership to others much like P. Kane (Toews) and Kessel (phaneuf... But maybe more so lupul), Perry (Getz) and even old time Spezza (alfie).

This may change ( as stamkos has), and hopefully will, but atleast Seg's has Benn...but I fear Hall has no vet guidance (Ference is not who I had in mind)

I'm still taking Hall though for the purpose of this thread.

Banned

This is a statement I can get behind. However, that's not to suggest that I think seguin is any more a leader than Hall.

Neither one is crosby(who had Lemieux) or Stamkos(who had Lecavalier and MSL) or even J.T. Who had and continues to have no one (special case)

These two are elite hockey players who need to leave the leadership to others much like P. Kane (Toews) and Kessel (phaneuf... But maybe more so lupul), Perry (Getz) and even old time Spezza (alfie).

This may change ( as stamkos has), and hopefully will, but atleast Seg's has Benn...but I fear Hall has no vet guidance (Ference is not who I had in mind)

I'm still taking Hall though for the purpose of this thread.
    Agreed and to be fair to Hall he hasn't gotten to play with a stud two-way player like Benn. Benn is obviously a huge reason Seguin is thriving.

Banned

Seguin's antics were overblown in Boston and spin-doctored to make management's decision to move a franchise player easier to swallow for the fans. They did the same thing with Kessel before they shipped him out too. It was a media driven circus, and even there was truth in it, it wasn't the unique case that the media has made it out to be. Boston screwed up moving him, but if they get a Cup then they can justify it - in their minds, at least. Edmonton made the bigger mistake by selecting Hall over Seguin in the first place.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    ...Edmonton made the bigger mistake by selecting Hall over Seguin in the first place.
    In hindsight, I tend to agree with you. In fact, I said I'd take Seguin over Hall because he is a center and the Oilers desperately need a center. However, hindsight being what it is, I suspect most teams would have selected Hall over Seguin at the time. As we all know, Seguin was a late riser and although history has shown us that he is in fact legit, there were some concerns at the time that he was more of a gamble compared to Hall because of his late rising status. On pretty much every draft chart and prospect ranking, Hall was ranked ahead of Seguin.

That still doesn't mean that Edmonton didn't make a bit of a mistake by selecting Hall over Seguin, but on the long list of mistakes the Oilers have made in recent years, this one is way down at the bottom of the list.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Banned

in real life you gotta take seguin.

He's got 1 Stanley cup.

Hall can't even guide his team to the playoffs, while shit teams like Nashville and Phoenix and a few others have made it in the past.

I mean Oilers may not have had a team to win it all, but there is NO excuse that Hall hasn't gotten em in the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see Dallas in the postseason this year, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them go to round 2 because Seguin and Benn destroying the other team,

Everytime I watch the Oilers I see Hall as a egoistic player. Always want to do it all alone. That's just my perception tho.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Fair enough. I really don't think hall over seguin was a mistake by the oil. Infact, I doubt anything changes with seguin instead of hall. In the end either would be the franchise player that hall is today on the oilers. The bigger mistake took place the draft years that followed.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

He's got 1 Stanley cup.

Hall can't even guide his team to the playoffs, while shit teams like Nashville and Phoenix and a few others have made it in the past.

I mean Oilers may not have had a team to win it all, but there is NO excuse that Hall hasn't gotten em in the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see Dallas in the postseason this year, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them go to round 2 because Seguin and Benn destroying the other team,

Everytime I watch the Oilers I see Hall as a egoistic player. Always want to do it all alone. That's just my perception tho.
    And Seguin was the driving force in getting Boston into the playoffs?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He's got 1 Stanley cup.

Cause seguin was the factor in that cup winning season? Laughable arguement.

Banned

Cause seguin was the factor in that cup winning season? Laughable arguement.
    I never said that anywhere that he was THE factor.

However, he does have cup experience, while Hall doesn't even have playoff experience.

Big deal in real life hockey

Dobber Sports Guru

He's got 1 Stanley cup.
    I don't understand the point. Dustin Penner has two Stanley Cups. Does that make Penner better than Seguin.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid