Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryan McDonagh.....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Ryan McDonagh.....

...is a BEAST! What a way to kick off the playoff week for owners: 1G, 2A, +3, 2 PIM, 3 SOG, 2 hits, 2 bs. He somehow managed to top Erik Karlsson's stat line for tonight (who I'm also lucky enough to own). Up to 42 points and despite a realllllly slow start, he's got a shot to crack 50. I've noticed a huge difference since the Olympics, this guy's confidence is sky high. He obviously has the green light to activate whenever he sees fit, as he's all over the ice.

With the peripherals this guy puts up, he's going to be an elite fantasy option if he can become a yearly 50+ point player. He could be scary next year if he's firing on all cylinders like this from day one.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Ryan McDonagh.....

Shiva,

You hijacked your own thread

You started a thread about McDonagh but most of the body of the post is about Karlsson. :P

Dobber Sports Giant

This guy was my sleeper pick for the Norris trophy this year. While he probably won't win it without a RIDICULOUS surge to close the season, he's truly emerged as a fantasy stud.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Star

I think that McDonagh is one of those guys who tends to be far more valuable to his real life NHL team, than he does to his fantasy hockey teams. I don't know if he will ever put up HUGE offensive numbers, but I think he embodies what a Norris Trophy winner should be made of. He is the complete package, and in my opinion, he is one of the best in the NHL. I think he will contend for Norris trophies throughout his career, and to me, it is a toss up between him and Lundqvist as to who is the Ranger's Most Valuable Player.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

At the beginning of this season, he wasn't even seeing time on the PP. Then he shoved MDZ aside and ran with the PP quarterback role.
    McDonagh has improved steadily throughout his career, and for the first time he has the chance to play more offensively...
    Close to 25 minutes a game, 1st PP in New York, 12 points in his last 14 games...
    This guy is indeed a stud! Maybe not an elite offensive dman, but certainly a very valuable one.
    I think 45 points /*year is a reasonable expectation... with room for more.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not elite offensively, but he is quickly becoming elite in multi-cat fantasy formats. If your league counts hits, bs, sog, shp, this guy is gold.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Not elite offensively, but he is quickly becoming elite in multi-cat fantasy formats. If your league counts hits, bs, sog, shp, this guy is gold.
    Give it time and he could be elite offensively!

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    Give it time and he could be elite offensively!
    Yeah, the fact is we simply don't know if he is going to post elite offensive numbers. He is certainly running with the ball in his first full season with PP1 duties, and there is every reason to believe he is going to improve in that regard. He's a beauty in multi-cat fantasy formats, and he's probably going to post a few 50+ seasons before all is said and done.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

How can a guy who is currently approaching top 10 in scoring for his position not an elite offensive player?

I think he is already an elite offensive dman, plus he is a solid all-around dman with Norris Trophy potential, as already mentioned. He is definitely one of the top dmen in the league already and will only get better.

He was the waiver-wire pick up of a lifetime for me in one of my keeper leagues (2nd in signature below). I grabbed him last year, stuck him on my bench, and activated him for good this year. Awesome player, in both fantasy and real life.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Superstar

He's going to be a free agent in my auction draft next year as his contract expires in our league. Could command Karlsson $ in our league and I need to shore up my D next year.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    He's going to be a free agent in my auction draft next year as his contract expires in our league. Could command Karlsson $ in our league and I need to shore up my D next year.
    If he's available, then I'm buying. Tough timing though, as his value has sky-rocketed this season for good reason. I had really high hopes for McD under Coach V, as I was frustrated by Torts' refusal to put him in offensive situations, but I have to say things worked out way better than I ever could have expected. MDZ getting pushed out of town, prime offensive minutes, top Olympic pairing, and the continued and steady blossoming of his confidence and offensive game. People also have to remember that the Rangers started out with that awful 13 game road trip with MSG under renovation, and the entire team was terrible for the first month. If McDonagh was doing in October what he has done the rest of the season, he could be flirting with 60 points this year along with his outstanding peripheral stats. What's even more impressive is that he he is doing this on a team that has been starved for offence most of the season, and doesn't score a lot of goals. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but the % of Rangers goals that McDonagh has factored in on has to be pretty damn high. If some of the Rangers offensive players and the PP can bouce back next year (very probable after a full season under a new coach), then things will be looking pretty rosy for McDonagh owners.

Dobber Sports Giant

In cap leagues, like Shivablaster said, I'm buying anywhere up to $7.5million; if your league counts hits/blks/sog/pim as well as offensive categories, I think he's worth the $$. Especially with the rising cap.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    How can a guy who is currently approaching top 10 in scoring for his position not an elite offensive player?

I think he is already an elite offensive dman, plus he is a solid all-around dman with Norris Trophy potential, as already mentioned. He is definitely one of the top dmen in the league already and will only get better.

He was the waiver-wire pick up of a lifetime for me in one of my keeper leagues (2nd in signature below). I grabbed him last year, stuck him on my bench, and activated him for good this year. Awesome player, in both fantasy and real life.
    This! I'm not sure how some in this thread can say he's better in real life and not that big of a fantasy asset. Check out this awesome write-up on McDonagh from NHL.com...some of the stats and comparisons put him in some elite company:

It's safe to say New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh is maximizing his offensive production in year one under coach Alain Vigneault.

The 24-year-old has reached the top-15 fantasy realm at his position and continues to flourish as the Rangers' featured power-play defenseman.

And he's just getting warmed up.

Ryan McDonagh has seen a featured offensive role under coach Alain Vigneault, reaching the top-15 realm among fantasy defenseman as a result. (Photo: Scott Levy/NHLI)
    McDonagh, one of the fantasy steals of the season to this point, extended his point streak to four games with a career-high three points in the Rangers' come-from-behind victory against the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday. His overtime winner was his 13th goal of the season, which ties him for sixth among defensemen.

He had sleeper value entering the season, but no one expected such a transformation from McDonagh. On average, he was the 72nd defenseman drafted in Yahoo leagues (average overall pick: 160.7).

Among the 17 defensemen with 40-plus points this season, McDonagh and Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks are the only two with 160-plus shots on goal and a rating of plus-10 or better. McDonagh is 12th among defenseman with 42 points.

The craziest part about McDonagh's rise to the elite ranks of fantasy defenseman is that he is still available in 32 percent of Yahoo leagues. Without a doubt, there are defensemen on the map with greater short-term value than McDonagh, but there is no justification to him being on the waiver wire even in the shallowest of shallow leagues.

Last season, McDonagh showed flashes of promise with 17 even-strength points (tied for fifth among defensemen) but was not utilized nearly enough on the power play under former Rangers coach John Tortorella. Now, under Vigneault, McDonagh is seeing 2:53 of ice time per game with the man advantage (13 power-play points) compared to 0:38 in 2012-13 (1 PPP).

He has had a knack for producing points in short-handed situations as well, which is another category that some fantasy leagues take into account. McDonagh sees 2:41 per game on the penalty kill and leads all defensemen with three shorthanded goals in 2013-14. To put that number into perspective, only four players (Brad Marchand, Tyler Johnson, Mikael Backlund, Matt Read), all forwards, have more this season.

McDonagh has taken the sixth-most shifts League-wide (2,184) and has found his groove following a slow start during the Rangers' lengthy season-opening road trip. He hasn't missed a game, has 12 points in his past 12 games and will have final nine games to add to his career-best numbers in nearly every major category.

The Rangers' offense continues to work out its kinks, but McDonagh's composure is helping them put it all together. New York has won four straight and McDonagh is carrying the puck with confidence in both zones. Come fantasy playoff time, when every category point looms large, owners couldn't ask for more.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Is this the same guy that was traded for Scott Gomez?? Ouch..

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Is this the same guy that was traded for Scott Gomez?? Ouch..
    I've said it before in McD discussions, but IMO that is one of the worst trades in recent memory.