Thread: 'Canes GM Rutherford giving up GM duties at end of season

Dobber Sports Deity

Default 'Canes GM Rutherford giving up GM duties at end of season

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/...9/103/400/120/

Jim Rutherford, who serves as president and general manager of the Carolina Hurricanes, is expected to give up his general manager duties at the end of the season.

Rurherford, contacted Monday, said he did not want to comment on his situation with the team or any potential changes until the season is completed.

Sources close to the team say Rutherford may stay as team president, although that decision has not been made.

It’s expected Ron Francis, the Hurricanes’ vice president of hockey operations, will succeed Rutherford as general manager. That decision will be made by team owner Peter Karmanos Jr.

Rutherford has been with the franchise since Karmanos and the late Thomas Thewes bought the NHL’s Hartford Whalers in 1994. The team relocated to North Carolina in 1997 and won the Stanley Cup in 2006.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Default Re: 'Canes GM Rutherford giving up GM duties at end of season

I know the team hasn't had a lot of success lately but I've always held Rutherford in high regard. Good for Ronny Francis moving on up though.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I know the team hasn't had a lot of success lately but I've always held Rutherford in high regard. Good for Ronny Francis moving on up though.
    Agreed. Francis is going to have his hands full in the off season though. A lot of question marks with this team.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Could this mean the end of Ward's #1 tenure?

Banned

The writing was on the wall...
    Hopefully RF gives Muller his walking papers.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    The writing was on the wall...
    Hopefully RF gives Muller his walking papers.
    Francis will want to put his " stamp" on things so I'd assume some changes will be forthcoming.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thank Blob! It is ABOUT TIME
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Giant

I can only hope Ward actually gets a fresh start somewhere next season. We've seen very capable guys in recent history, most notably guys like Reimer, Schneider, etc., languishing in backup duties and having to endure some pretty crappy situations for legit starters. It's not outside the realm of possibility that there just isn't an opportunity for Ward, his contract definitely doesn't help matters. I think he can be a really solid goalie, and have kinda been hoping he somehow lands in Long Island ever since Khudobin really emerged. I guess we'll see how things shake out, but I don't think we'll see much more of Cam Ward starting for the Hurricanes.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by v105memorial View Post
    Could this mean the end of Ward's #1 tenure?
    Considering his salary, I would say it will mean the end of Ward in Carolina all together, let alone #1 goalie once this seasons done.

Dobber Sports Master

seems like a possible destination for Ward to land (islanders)but the canes would have to take back a bad contract (Bailey)

isles beat writer hinted the isles leaning towards bringing Nabokov back as a backup to whoever they sign or trade for in the offseason.

Ward/Nabokov would be an improvement on Nabokov/Poulin/nilsson

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I can only hope Ward actually gets a fresh start somewhere next season. We've seen very capable guys in recent history, most notably guys like Reimer, Schneider, etc., languishing in backup duties and having to endure some pretty crappy situations for legit starters. It's not outside the realm of possibility that there just isn't an opportunity for Ward, his contract definitely doesn't help matters. I think he can be a really solid goalie, and have kinda been hoping he somehow lands in Long Island ever since Khudobin really emerged. I guess we'll see how things shake out, but I don't think we'll see much more of Cam Ward starting for the Hurricanes.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    seems like a possible destination for Ward to land (islanders)but the canes would have to take back a bad contract (Bailey)

isles beat writer hinted the isles leaning towards bringing Nabokov back as a backup to whoever they sign or trade for in the offseason.

Ward/Nabokov would be an improvement on Nabokov/Poulin/nilsson
    But does Nabokov want to come back as a backup? The Islanders have a lot of question marks next season in nets. Both Poulin and Nilsson are RFA's at seasons end and Nabokov is a UFA. Who stays, who goes?

Dobber Sports Master

at this point in his career nabokov should be happy to get a gig as a backup in the nhl.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Good, time for some new blood. Not a huge fan of Rutherford.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket