Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who do you prefer Huberdeau - Granlund

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Who do you prefer Huberdeau - Granlund

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Based on a 3-year timeframe, I'd probably roll the dice on Granlund. I don't see the "upside" numbers being very relevant for guys this young. And Florida is just such a gong show right now. So I'd go with Granlund, just because I like his situation better over a 3-year period. If the outlook was longer, though, I'd likely flip and go with Huberdeau's higher upside.
    This is almost exactly how I feel. To the letter. 3 year window people. Or that's a long wait to fund someone else's victories..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

Granlund, another concussion.

I, uh, change my choice to Huberdeau.

Dobber Sports Legend

Huberdeau without a doubt. The Panthers will be the NHLs "surprise" team 1-2 years from now with a rock between the pipes like Luongo. The next couple of seasons in Florida will be full of nice FA signings and significant growth of the young Cats. Granlund will be lucky to touch 80 points any year (will probably max out at 75 like S.Koivu did) and Huberdeau will eventually flirt with 90.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Granny concussed, not good!!

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Granny concussed, not good!!
    Is concussion confirmed? The coach said there's no reason to think he won't be ready for the playoffs (9 days away) and he attended the last game which is also a good sign. If it is in fact a concussion (especially a bad one) I would think the noise, crowd and lights of the arena would be too much for him to take.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Ace

I jumped to the conclusion that it's a concussion, so maybe my bad on that.

But when he has a concussion history, and leaves a game after taking a bit of a bump to the head...well, I don't know if it's too much of a stretch to think it may be one.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I jumped to the conclusion that it's a concussion, so maybe my bad on that.

But when he has a concussion history, and leaves a game after taking a bit of a bump to the head...well, I don't know if it's too much of a stretch to think it may be one.
    No, I hear ya. I'm always skeptical the same way. Since the signs seem pretty good, perhaps the team is being extra careful with him before the playoffs?
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Granlund, another concussion.

I, uh, change my choice to Huberdeau.
    lol I second the motion.. Oh boy poor kid. That's 3 in what 4 years? Less?

I still prefer him to Huberdeau, but this is not good news. I hope this guy's not the next Lafontaine. Keep yer head up! A slick guy like him should be able to avoid hits, problem is he plays like Koivu did. Fireball small centre. No fear. It just means lots of risk... Am I talking myself into Huberdeau...? lol.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

I will take Huberdeau for the following rationale

1. The Panthers were ranked 29 in team offense
    2. Dale Tallon is a competent team builder
    3. Viola has deep pockets and has expressed a desire to ice the most competitive team possible
    4. The team has a fairly well stocked pipeline of prospects and picks

I then took a closer look at known forwards on the Panthers team and decided to focus on Tomas Fleischmann. (whom Huberdeau outpointed in 11 fewer games) When skating with top 6 talent TF put up 21 points in 22 games while with the Avalanche and scored 27 goals back in 2011. 28 points for the entire 2013-14 season appears to me to be a question of a lack of talent on the big club which I think also adversely affected Huberdeau.

I think it likely that without much trouble Huberdeau can easily approach 53 points next season with the possibility of many more points were he to see ice time with top 6 talent. The aforementioned #3 on my list clearly indicates that Viola will spend the money (he is after all a market maker) which means that we can expect much improved point totals from huberdeau going forward. If anything the horrible season will hopefully light a fire under his posterior and he will come out next season loaded for bear.

Miami/Dade county is a relatively easy sell for Tallon/Viola for players who want to be part of building something. Guys like Callahan come to mind, especially when you consider that Viola was a die hard Rangers season ticket holder and we all know how NY fans felt about "captain america". I think they open the vault and offer Ryan Callahan his asking price and terms to come and build a franchise in Florida. This kind of move helps Huberdeau long term so his value is most likely bottomed out now which is a perfect time to acquire him if you believe he has the talent. In 3 years I think we see a regular 65+ point campaign from JH.

Granlund on the other hand is not as big as Huberdeau, skated with more talented players and I believe that Minnesota can perhaps sign 1 more top shelf player going into next season. This puts the short term value clearly with Granlund with the proviso that a 5'10" player with a history of concussions may not be long for the league.

If I am buying long term the choice is clearly JH, if I am more short term minded I try and parley Granlund's injury into a reduced price and hope to see a few healthy seasons of assists to the big guns on the wing for the Wild.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Legend

^ Great feedback donpaulo.
    8-GM / WK-H2H