Thread: Keeper Help- unusual format

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Keeper Help- unusual format

Okay, hoping the collective braintrust can help me out here because I'm unsure how I'm going to play this out. I'm currently tied for first in my 9 team league, and the guy I'm tied with is going to hit his games played limits quite soon, so I'm feeling good about my chances. For next season, we can keep a maximum of 5 players, and there is no minimum. For each player we keep, we forfeit a top draft pick (ie. keep 1 player, lose first round pick: keep 3, lose first 3 rounds, etc). It's the team in the sig. Any thoughts that could be given would be much appreciated, as I'm not entirely sold on my current plan yet.
    Keeper (No minimum, max 5) 9 Teams 2013-2014, 2014-2015 League Champion

Keepers in Bold

G/A/+/-/PIM/PPP/SOG W/GAA/Sv%/SHO
    4LW-4C-4RW-6D-2Util-2G

C-
    LW-
    RW-
    D- Karlsson
    G-

Administrator

Default Re: Keeper Help- unusual format

Well it all depends on where you drafted folks.

Edit: Misread the post. I see what the deal is.

I would consider keeping none in this format. According to Fantasy Hockey Geek Karlsson, Byfuglien and Backstrom were all top-10 skaters in this league but that's without considering goalies. It also doesn't take into account the reality that Byfuglien might only have forward eligibility next season. And injuries aren't really factored in as well.

You might like Karlsson as a top-nine guy. That's reasonable but maybe you want to go a different direction if you think there will be elite goalies available for draft early on.

I can see an argument for keeping all three because they do technically rate as top-10 commodities but I'd want to wait to see what eligibility Byfuglien has first. And all things considered I don't love Backstrom as a top-18 guy so I could only justify keeping him if he's your "third round" pick.

One thing to highlight here is how this league significantly increases the value of possessing multiple elite players. You could reasonably sell off all of your depth to try and gather a core of elite skaters and goaltenders. For instance, it would not be unreasonable to come across owning both Crosby and Rask or Lundqvist in this pool. You are almost certainly keeping two under that scenario and if you sell your squad off you could add another top guy, maybe Getzlaf. Now you've got a bunch of top-10 talents for the cost of your first three picks. You'd basically never deal these guys and could roll into every draft with the best squad even though you don't draft for three rounds.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

Tough call here. It's essentially a player valuation exercise. Based on the information provided, I am assuming you win the league as so draft last in each round.

In order to keep any players you need to own at least one top 10 player. With your league settings Karlsson is close but I would only keep him if I had another player in the top 15. Again Backstrom is probably close to this range.

So if we keep 2 it's essentially an exercise in top 27,36,and 45 value.

Again with your settings Buff is a top 27 value (if he keeps D ranking). This is a bit high for Mackinnon but if you drop him I'd say you're not getting him back so even if it's a bit of a reach now I keep him as well (top 36 future value).

No other forwards on your team are really intriguing as a 5th keepr. Goalies aren't really valuable in a 9 team league but I am not sure a better one than loungo is available with the 45thnoverall pick. I either keep loungo here or no one.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If everybody keeps 5 players, that means those first 5 rounds of the draft don't actually happen, right? Which would mean a 6th round pick becomes a 1st round pick? Unless this is a new league, you probably know from past years whether people typically keep 5 or fewer... I feel like it would be most strategic to keep all 5, so it's probably pretty likely that most everyone will do that, which means you won't actually lose many actual draft picks. I'd say keep Backstrom, Eberle, Mackinnon, Karlsson and Varlamov.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This is a new league, so I'm not sure how the keepers will play out for everyone else. Which is ultimately the problem with this format, I suppose. The right call is dictated so much by what others do.
    Keeper (No minimum, max 5) 9 Teams 2013-2014, 2014-2015 League Champion

Keepers in Bold

G/A/+/-/PIM/PPP/SOG W/GAA/Sv%/SHO
    4LW-4C-4RW-6D-2Util-2G

C-
    LW-
    RW-
    D- Karlsson
    G-

Dobber Sports Initiate

You can assume that Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovie, Tavares are kept. I am guessing that you add Giroux Kessel and Rask to this list as well.

That should help guide at least your first round decision. After that it gets a bit tougher.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's an interesting format, and I'd be curious to know how it plays out. My prediction is everybody keeps 5, though if you can see that somebody else's 6th best player is better than your 5th best player, maybe it makes sense to only keep 4 and have first dibs at that 6th best guy.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault